Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

stopping someone from phoning

including wills and probate
didds
Lemon Half

stopping someone from phoning

Postby didds » July 20th, 2018, 8:47 am

Elderly couple (EC) no longer wish to receive phone calls from an elderly relative by marriage (ER). ER has early onset of dementia.

EC currently have caller display and just ignore the 15-20 calls per day from ER.

Aside form this pragmatic approach, what else might they in theory do to stop the calls all together ?

* cease and desist letter [ eg https://www.wonder.legal/us/modele/gene ... ist-letter ]
* subsequent injunction if the letter's demands are not complied with - is there an easy DIY system for this or does this have to involve solicitors etc?

The fly in the ointment potentially presumably is the (currently "mild" for want a better medical/legal term) dementia.

didds

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Re: stopping someone from phoning

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » July 20th, 2018, 8:54 am

Look into BT Call Protect.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 20th, 2018, 8:55 am

Complain to their phone company's nuisance calls/harassment departnent
It is technically possible to block specific callers on a line.

PochiSoldi

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » July 20th, 2018, 8:57 am

I believe BT "call protect" will divert nuisance calls for you and it is free.

I think it is unlikely that the legal route would help due to the dementia.

John

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 20th, 2018, 8:59 am

Many thanks all - practical solutions are (IMO) far more effective.

cheers

didds

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » July 20th, 2018, 9:40 am

I note that EC already have caller display. I have a set of Panasonic cordless phones. This system includes the facility to bar any telephone number using the caller display system. I'm not sure how it works, as in I don't know what the caller receives (number unobtainable? engaged tone?). All I know is that our 'phone does not ring, and the internal log shows how many times the caller(s) have called and been rejected.

I assume other makes/models can do the same thing.

ten0rman

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 20th, 2018, 10:28 am

pochisoldi wrote:Complain to their phone company's nuisance calls/harassment departnent
It is technically possible to block specific callers on a line.

PochiSoldi

Need to clarify here - The victim should complain to their own phone company.
(I kind of hinted that they should complain to the caller's service provider)

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 20th, 2018, 10:50 am

Almost all new landline 'phones offer call blocking. This must be the easiest solution I would think. The Caller ID is transmitted before the 'phone rings and consequently if the caller's number is on the block list the 'phone disconnects the call before the 'phone rings and (without checking the caller list) nobody would know that the caller has called.

RC

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 20th, 2018, 1:46 pm

ten0rman wrote:I note that EC already have caller display. I have a set of Panasonic cordless phones. This system includes the facility to bar any telephone number using the caller display system. I'm not sure how it works, as in I don't know what the caller receives (number unobtainable? engaged tone?). All I know is that our 'phone does not ring, and the internal log shows how many times the caller(s) have called and been rejected.

I assume other makes/models can do the same thing.

ten0rman

very possibly - Ive known EC fo0r 25 years and its the same -phone (goodness knows how - our home landlines seem to last about 48 nano-seconds!) so possibly not :-)

But a good thought.

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 20th, 2018, 2:00 pm

didds wrote:very possibly - Ive known EC fo0r 25 years and its the same -phone ...

Based on that, is it not likely they are with BT. If so, the previously mentioned BT Call Protect must be the answer http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/deta ... o...-guide but they may need your help with setting it up, then blocking the number via 1572.

I know this is Legal Issues (Practical) but does the caller's family/friends/carer also have the elderly couple's phone number, in case they need to get in touch. I ask as the caller will presumably get distressed if no-one answers, may wonder what has happened to the EC, and this will play on the caller's mind.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 21st, 2018, 11:10 am

Cheers PD - I cant go into details but the caller really REALLY is not wanted by pretty much anybody after some distressing news and information has come to light recently.

cheers all

didds
Last edited by didds on July 21st, 2018, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » July 21st, 2018, 11:32 am

If they want to keep the existing phone then you can just get a Truecall unit (Amazon etc.).

Chris

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » July 22nd, 2018, 4:40 pm

Well one solution, and it is a very cheap solution, is to simply not answer the phone. I never answer my landline working on the assumption that anyone who really wants to talk to me will leave a message (and pretty much operate the same system with my mobile as well if I don't recognise the number and with a mobile you can always see the number calling you). This not only gets rid of most nuisance marketing calls - a very few leave a message usually pre-recorded but most ring off as the messaging system kicks in - but, of course, if someone you actually want to talk to starts leaving a message you can pick up the phone and speak to them immediately if you happen to be around at the time. Or not pick up the phone or respond to messages in the case of certain callers.

I do a lot of voluntary work and I've learned that almost everyone who wants you to provide a talk for x, y or z meeting or bring a stall to x, y or z occasion or who is willing to collect for charity R on date/time will most definitely leave a message even if it is just a request for a call back. Friends do too! I'm rather short on relatives but presumably relatives you actually want to speak to would as well?

I speak with some feeling here. People laugh at and criticise older children, teens and 'millenials' for their smartphone addiction but I do wonder to what extent their 'addiction' is any different and any worse than the addiction of older folk to their landlines? Who ruled that you have to answer your landline every time it rings? Who said you have to talk to the person ringing you instead of simply disconnecting if you don't want to talk to them? The quickest and most effective way to get rid of any unwanted caller is don't answer the phone and, if by some chance you do, don't hesitate to put the phone down when you realise the call is unsolicited and unwanted no matter who it is from?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 22nd, 2018, 9:41 pm

midnightcatprowl wrote:Well one solution, and it is a very cheap solution, is to simply not answer the phone.

From the OP

"EC currently have caller display and just ignore the 15-20 calls per day from ER.
Aside from this pragmatic approach, what else might they in theory do to stop the calls all together ?"

didds

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 22nd, 2018, 10:49 pm

didds wrote:Aside form this pragmatic approach, what else might they in theory do to stop the calls all together ?

* cease and desist letter [ eg https://www.wonder.legal/us/modele/gene ... ist-letter ]
* subsequent injunction if the letter's demands are not complied with - is there an easy DIY system for this or does this have to involve solicitors etc?

Unless this is a theoretical legal question it would seem rather daft to going to an inordinate amount of effort to attempt to achieve a legal solution (which probably wouldn't work if the person causing the nuisance has the onset of dementia) when a £20 physical solution (a phone with call blocking) would guarantee resolution.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » July 23rd, 2018, 11:05 am

Having been in the position of receiving multi calls from someone with dementia problems, the ringing of the telephone, whilst it is possible to ignore it, is a darned nuisance, and therefore any system that actually prevents the telephone ringing is better. I also know of a person who was on the receiving end of constantly being telephoned - and it eventually caused the lady of the house mental distress, eg bursting into tears.

The net result is that whilst ignoring may well be the cheapest option, it certainly is not the best option.

ten0rman

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » July 23rd, 2018, 12:12 pm

therefore any system that actually prevents the telephone ringing is better. I also know of a person who was on the receiving end of constantly being telephoned - and it eventually caused the lady of the house mental distress, eg bursting into tears.

The net result is that whilst ignoring may well be the cheapest option, it certainly is not the best option.

It seems odd really that with mobiles you have so much control over the ringing issue e.g. big changes in volume, getting it to vibrate instead of ring, and so on. Landlines, though you can mostly alter the volume, don't seem to be so flexible. If you could get your landline to vibrate quietly to itself it probably wouldn't be so bothering as ringing sounds?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 23rd, 2018, 12:23 pm

Ive just considered one reason why a legal remedy would be important over a pragmatic one... where the number ER calls from may well be the same as other people in the same house may call on, whose calls are welcomed.

That is;t the case now wrt my underlying OP (which keeps things easy) but until a very few weeks ago would have been . Just not answering and ER2 (ie second ER that is "OK") leaving a message wouldn't mean on call back that ER doesn't answer the phone...

Anyhow - I have the practical solution(s) to put in place if needed. many thanks to all.

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » July 23rd, 2018, 12:33 pm

didds wrote:Ive just considered one reason why a legal remedy would be important over a pragmatic one... where the number ER calls from may well be the same as other people in the same house may call on, whose calls are welcomed.

That's what I was trying to say earlier when I said but does the caller's family/friends/carer also have the elderly couple's phone number, in case they need to get in touch.. Maybe those have a mobile and their calls wouldn't be blocked.

If there are such people, can the ER not let them know the situation?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 23rd, 2018, 2:26 pm

In my case, ER2 knew about ER constantly callig EC, but - lets say - was not in a position to ... prevent ... ER from calling.

Not everybody lives in a stable sharing relationship unfortunately. I doubt ER2 is alone in this.

So speaking generically (using my OP as examples) _sometimes_ legal remedies are the potentially the only answer. But yes, pragmatic remedies are undoubtedly easier and cheaper and more effective where appropriate. The prag,matic approoach, for confirmation agaijn, is a solutiuon now for EC wrt ER. (ER2 no longer shares that same phone line with ER shall I say).

Apologies for the lack of harsh detail regarding ER, ER2 and EC. It wouldn;t be appropriate to say more.

For future discussion the general point is preferred. Ta.

didds

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”