Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Can you trademark an idea/concept/format?

including wills and probate
didds
Lemon Half

Can you trademark an idea/concept/format?

Postby didds » September 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm

X-post from DAK.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13694&p=166415#p166415

Answers over there please :-)

Moderator Message:
I think this is really a Legal question, so answers would be better here. I will add a link to this from the DAK post and lock it. Original question quoted below (chas49)

cheers

didds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45515806

In a nutshell the England and wales Cricket Board (ECB) has devised a new format of cricket called "the Hundred" - a match of 100 deliveries per innings. They have applied for trademark in several countries now, and that link suggests that this means anybody wanting to emulate that format (100 balls per innings) in those countries will have to pay the ECB to do so.

My question then is... Can a concept/idea/format be trademarked? In my extremely limited and ignorant knowledge of such things isn't the name "The Hundred" what gets trademarked?

Secondary question @: if the concept can be trademarked what would stop somebody from offering a new format of 101 balls? Or 99 balls? As presumably that would not come under such a concept trademark ?

didds

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”