Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Personal Liability Insurance – Is it Necessary?

including wills and probate
BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Personal Liability Insurance – Is it Necessary?

Postby BBLSP1 » October 31st, 2018, 7:27 am

Moderator Message:
This question is probably better asked and answered in Legal Issues (Practical). Moved there with shadow left in DAK. (chas40)

I am sure many people on these boards have significant assets – shareholdings, property etc. As a result, they may become a personal target for claims should they be involved in an incident of some kind. I am thinking in particular of any personal (not business related) situation that is not covered by homeowners or vehicle insurance. For example - there are many (many) others that could be thought of – in a department store you stumble on an escalator and knock down several people who suffer varying degrees of injury.

Is such insurance actually necessary? My (limited) understanding is that for such a claim to be successful, negligence and a duty of care need to be proven, which is quite a high bar, and not the case I think in the above example. Hence, as we are all reasonable people on here :D , we are unlikely to be found in a situation where such a personal claim could be successfully pursued.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this issue. Does anybody here take out Personal Liability Insurance to cover this sort of thing?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Personal Liability Insurance – Is it Necessary?

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 31st, 2018, 10:01 am

May I refer the questioner to my recent comment in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14461#p176937 ?

(Thus not merely answering the question, but also soliciting comment on whether my answer is any good).

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Postby BBLSP1 » October 31st, 2018, 10:53 am

UE - Thanks for this. So the issue becomes, does your home insurance cover you for events not related in anyway to the house.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 31st, 2018, 11:05 am

BBLSP1 wrote:UE - Thanks for this. So the issue becomes, does your home insurance cover you for events not related in anyway to the house.

Extract (for illlustration) from my home policy:

Personal liability and your liability as occupier of your home
What is covered?
a) Personal liability
We will pay You or any member of Your Household up to the Policy limit shown in Your Schedule for all
compensation and legal costs, You become personally legally liable to pay as a result of accidents that are
not connected with You owning or occupying Your Home
These accidents must result in:
• accidental death, bodily injury to, or illness of, any person (but not any member of Your Household or
Your employees); or
• loss of, or damage to property.
This is for all claims made against You or any member of Your Household as a result of any one incident.
(my bold)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 31st, 2018, 11:24 am

I worked in insurance for all of my working life and my answer is that Personal Liability insurance is a sensible precaution. It will not be necessary (like all insurance) until you have a claim but then you will be glad you have it. Actually any form of liability insurance is usually more important than property insurance because a claim is potentially unlimited for most liability incidents. With property insurance you at least know the limit; the value of the asset.

Most household policies will cover personal liability claims, but check, especially 'cheapo' ones because some insurers may restrict the cover. I discovered the other day that with some cheap motor policies, they for instance have removed the Driving Other Cars extension. Traditionally that has always been included and I think still is in most policies.

Dod

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » October 31st, 2018, 11:40 am

Dod101 wrote: I discovered the other day that with some cheap motor policies, they for instance have removed the Driving Other Cars extension. Traditionally that has always been included and I think still is in most policies.

I thought that had mostly gone from them all, some years back.

Slarti

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » October 31st, 2018, 1:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:the Driving Other Cars extension. Traditionally that has always been included and I think still is in most policies.

It has pretty universally gone from 3rd-party-only policies, other than as a costed extra. It is still inclusive in many (but not all) fully comp policies. If you use the comparison sites, they generally have it as a tickbox option.

Gryff

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 31st, 2018, 1:52 pm

gryffron wrote:It has pretty universally gone from 3rd-party-only policies, other than as a costed extra. It is still inclusive in many (but not all) fully comp policies. Afaik the comparison sites all now have it as a tickbox option.

Yes it's been on my policy as long as I remember. The wording is "The policyholder may also drive with the consent of the owner a private motor car as long as the other car is not a car either owned by you or your partner or hired or leased to you or your partner under a hire purchase or leasing agreement or hired or rented to you or your partner under a car hire or rental agreement, within the UK, providing there is a valid insurance policy in force for that car. Please note this cover is Third Party Only."

Scott.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 31st, 2018, 1:53 pm

Moderator Message:
The discussion of "driving other cars" is off-topic for this thread. Please start a new thread in the Cars etc ( viewforum.php?f=58 ) board if this is to continue. Thanks :) (chas49)

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 31st, 2018, 5:19 pm

BBLSP1 wrote:Is such insurance actually necessary?

It's a very interesting and sensible question, and there’s no easy answer. As has been correctly pointed out, most household policies only cover you in connection with incidents related to your home. Although lawyers would have a field day debating what such an exclusion really meant it's a very useful escape route for insurers.

My (limited) understanding is that for such a claim to be successful, negligence and a duty of care need to be proven, which is quite a high bar, and not the case I think in the above example. Hence, as we are all reasonable people on here :D , we are unlikely to be found in a situation where such a personal claim could be successfully pursued.

Unfortunately, whilst you’re correct to say that negligence has to be proved your conclusion that a careful person is unlikely to be negligent completely ignores reality.

There’s a good reason that situations giving rise to liability for negligence are called accidents - it's because that's exactly what they are. There is no inference of recklessness in a finding of negligence, and even the most careful people make mistakes from time to time.

I'm sure every reader of this post can think of occasions when they momentarily lost concentration while driving, whether it was through re-tuning the radio, changing a CD, trying to make sense of the satnav, swatting a wasp, shouting at the kids in the back to keep quiet, etc, etc ad infinitum. Every one of those occasions involves temporarily taking your eyes off the road, and it only takes a couple of seconds of such distraction to result in an accident causing massive injuries or death.

That's why motor insurance is compulsory - because driving a car is the most dangerous activity that most people undertake.

And the reason PL insurance is not compulsory is that the chances of becoming liable for thousands or millions of pounds damage other than by driving are extremely remote. But they aren't non-existent.

The most obvious examples of where this might happen arise out of the consumption of alcohol. You might be visiting a friend’s house and because you’re a bit drunk you stumble and collide with your friend. Unfortunately, you're carrying a glass that shatters and slashes his artery, so that he bleeds to death.

Or you're out fishing on his boat. You foolishly stand up to swap sides, but being under the influence you stumble and fall on to him, knocking him out of the boat, causing him to drown.

But you don't need to be intoxicated. You take a risk whenever you volunteer to help someone. For example, you might help a friend whose car has broken down by making a repair, but in doing so you accidentally and unknowingly damage a vital component which then fails, causing the car to crash. Or, especially these days, you offer to assist in fixing a friend’s PC, but inadvertently introduce a virus or malware that results in his bank account being emptied.

Whilst cases such as this are mercifully very rare, and the chances of being sued if you were in such an unfortunate situation are minimal, the risk does exist.

It also has to be borne in mind that a remarkably large number of people - just over a quarter - don't have any home insurance. And the risks of incurring liability in your own home to a visitor are much higher than outside the home.

So in theory, general PL insurance is probably a good idea for everyone with assets sufficient to make them worth suing. But in practice it's extremely rare - in fact, I can't think of any private individual I know who has taken out such insurance or even contemplated doing so.

I've often advocated that the National Insurance system could be used far more creatively. In particular, the state could provide legal expenses insurance as an add-on to NI very simply, just by increasing the rate payable from, say, 12% to 12.25%. Most people wouldn’t even notice the difference, but this would be equivalent to making you eligible for non-means tested legal aid.

Likewise, they could offer PL insurance for a tiny amount - maybe an increase from 12% to 12.1%.

I'd bet there are many people who would be interested in such a scheme, particularly as it didn't involve lining the pockets of insurance companies, and the additional rates could easily be fixed at a rate that was self-financing.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 31st, 2018, 7:19 pm

You might a hit a golf ball that injured someone, as Brooks Koepke did recently, blinding a woman in one eye. I suppose that's still driving though?

I always check my household insurance covers me. The John Lewis policy gives me £2 m of cover for personal liability (not that much these days!)

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 1st, 2018, 10:52 am

scrumpyjack wrote:You might a hit a golf ball that injured someone, as Brooks Koepke did recently, blinding a woman in one eye. I suppose that's still driving though?

Yeah, but the victim is suing the organisers, not him. Presumably precisely because they DO have public liability insurance.

Is this one of those situations where the presence of the insurance attracts the litigation?

Gryff

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 1st, 2018, 11:48 am

gryffron wrote:Yeah, but the victim is suing the organisers, not him. Presumably precisely because they DO have public liability insurance.

Is this one of those situations where the presence of the insurance attracts the litigation?

It's maybe because that's the only likely route to succeed in a negligence claim.

I'd guess it'd be well-proven in court that golfers aren't negligent if the golf ball didn't go where they wanted it to go, they're just bad (or imperfect) golfers.

Scott.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 1st, 2018, 12:05 pm

I would imagine that most golfers do have public liability insurance for the reasons already mentioned but they mostly will have fairly expensive equipment and if they insure that it is likely that liability insurance will be covered as well. It is not necessarily that they will be liable to pay any compensation; a lot of the time it will be difficult I assume to prove that the golfer was negligent and not merely incompetent as swill/Scott says. The point though is that any claim can be passed to the insurers and let them defend it. It removes any hassle for the golfer if he does inadvertently hit someone.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 1st, 2018, 12:11 pm

Dod101 wrote:I would imagine that most golfers do have public liability insurance for the reasons already mentioned

Really? I'd be very surprised if that's the case (i.e. specific public liability insurance beyond what might be on their household insurance).

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 1st, 2018, 12:34 pm

I dunno about golg, as Dod is suggesting, but I do know that its not unusual for cyclists with very expensive bikes (5K upwards for example) may have specific cycle insurance - that may well come with public liability. Other cycle orientated insurances (which are AIUI more in tune with affiliation to a club/orgainsation, or towards legal expenses help, may well include PL for the policy holder also).

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm

swill453 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I would imagine that most golfers do have public liability insurance for the reasons already mentioned

Really? I'd be very surprised if that's the case (i.e. specific public liability insurance beyond what might be on their household insurance).

I would be surprised if they do not have a golfers policy. Many years ago when I was working it was completely routine for golfers to have specific insurance, sometimes organised through their golf club but often individually.I do not play golf but I have plenty of golfing friends. Must ask them.

I have often wondered about golf buggies. I see a lot of them on our local golf courses. They are not registered for road use but I assume that the owner must have insurance for them although they have no way of controlling their use on the course, and judging by the way some of them are driven there could easily be an accident. My own household policy does not exclude sports from the Personal Liability section but specifically excludes the use of vehicles, except for ride on lawn mowers, electrically powered wheel chairs and pedestrian controlled electrically powered golf trolleys. That would surely exclude golf carts since they are not pedestrian controlled, but it would include striking a golf ball negligently and injuring someone.

Dod

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 1st, 2018, 4:45 pm

didds wrote:I dunno about golg, as Dod is suggesting, but I do know that its not unusual for cyclists with very expensive bikes (5K upwards for example) may have specific cycle insurance - that may well come with public liability. Other cycle orientated insurances (which are AIUI more in tune with affiliation to a club/organisation, or towards legal expenses help, may well include PL for the policy holder also).

I'm a cyclist with a not very expensive bike, but having dealt with a couple of accidents where the cyclist was at fault and their household insurers had refused to pay out I decided that it was worth taking out PL insurance.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the annual premium was a mere £39.80 for £1,250,000 worth of cover. Well worth it to me just for the peace of mind.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 1st, 2018, 4:58 pm

The cycle use aspect is an interesting one CK. I no longer cycle but the personal liability section on my householders policy does not specifically exclude them although it does exclude electrically assisted bicycle so it would suggest that they have thought of them and decided to leave pedal cycles covered. I am with Direct Line and I suspect that nowadays there is quite a wide variation in wording just as there are wide variations in premiums charged. You get what you pay for.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 1st, 2018, 10:54 pm

Cycling insurance is neither universal nor unusual in household contents insurance: it's one of the things I make a point of checking. CK's 40 quid sounds ridiculously expensive: CTC membership is in the same ballpark, and gives you a whole lot more besides insurance!

But I can't imagine my household insurance would cover me if my cycling was racing, or other organised sport. That's a whole different ballgame. Surely in the case of any organised sporting event or sports club, it's for the organisers to ensure they have insurance?

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”