Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Refund for Delayed Flight

including wills and probate
jonareynolds

Refund for Delayed Flight

Postby jonareynolds » November 4th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I booked a multicity flight with Expedia. The last leg from Los Angeles to Heathrow was described in my itinerary as:

IB 4237 - IBERIA OPERATED BY: AMERICAN AIRLINES, AA 136

The flight was cancelled due to a mechanical fault, and then lack of flight crew. I was transferred to the same flight the next day, arriving 24 hours late.

If this had been an Iberia flight flying to an EU airport, I think I would be due 600 Euro compensation.

I should be grateful if anyone could tell me:

* As it was actually an American Airlines (i.e. not EU) flight, am I still entitled to the 600 Euro compensation?

* As the second plane was full, I had to have an Economy seat, not the Premium Economy one for which I had paid. How is the compensation/refund calculated, as I don't have a separate price for that leg of the journey?

* Does it make any difference that I have to claim through Expedia, rather than directly to the airline?

TIA

Jon

Calcarius

Re: Refund for Delayed Flight

Postby Calcarius » November 4th, 2018, 9:33 pm

"As it was actually an American Airlines (i.e. not EU) flight, am I still entitled to the 600 Euro compensation?"

I recently had a similar experience with Qantas flying from Heathrow to Australia (Adelaide possibly) transiting through Singapore which was my final destination.

My flight was 6 hours into a 12+ hour flight to Singapore but had to turn back because of an engine problem. I had no trouble at all receiving my compensation from Qantas, €600* was in my account within 7 days. I too booked through an agent (FlySharp through Skyscanner), just make your complaint directly through the airline concerned. All they are interested in is your personal/passport/flight details to verify that you are legit. I don't think it matters where the airline is based, the law applies I believe for flights originating from EU countries regardless of destination or carrier nationality, whether it treats flights into the EU the same I can't help you with.

I was also offered a £15 voucher for food to see me me through my 12 hour delay... ha ha, £12 for fodder in T3, doesn't go very far. There were also hotel rooms available for families whose final destination was Australia.

Hope this helps

*Which is probably the subject of another thread. I was flying on business as I do regularly and this has never happened before. I pocketed the said amount as as far as I am concerned it was me personally that was inconvenienced and luckily not the company.

jonareynolds

Re: Refund for Delayed Flight

Postby jonareynolds » November 6th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Thanks for this Calcarius.

After being given the run-around (two airlines and Opodo), I've ended up going directly to Iberia, as you suggest. Fingers crossed!

Jon

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”