Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fitted wardrobes question

including wills and probate
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Fitted wardrobes question

Postby redsturgeon » November 11th, 2018, 6:44 pm

We have just had some fitted wardrobes installed in our bedroom.

The wardrobes look great and in general we are happy with them. However when I was asked to sign off the job by the fitters, I noticed two shelves were missing and the LED lights had not been fitted.

I contacted the supplier and they agreed I was missing these items and would get back to me after finding out what went wrong.

I was then contacted to be told:

1. Yes the shelves are missing and would be supplied asap and fitted.

2, The LED lighting is a problem. They say they made a mistake with their quote and had only quoted for the power transformer and the lights and had omitted to quote for the different side units and shelves needed to accommodate the lighting system.

They could fit the full system but it would require a complete dismantling of the wardrobe already fitted and a significant extra cost above the original quote.

They have offered to refund my money for the lighting not supplied and have suggested that I can retrofit a lighting system myself. I have looked into this and it seems that I can indeed retrofit a system quite easily which would be significantly cheaper than the lighting that they would have provided.

I am happy with this but Mrs RS is not, she says that she ordered the wardrobes with LED lighting and that is what she wants.

I have looked at the drawings supplied with my order and all it says is, "including LED sensor lighting " . So I feel that if we push them they would be quite OK legally to provide the same lighting that I could supply myself rather than the much more expensive system from the wardrobe supplier.

Actually I don't think there will be any substantial practical difference between the systems but Mrs RS wants to push things further.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way forward?

John

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Re: Fitted wardrobes question

Postby richlist » November 11th, 2018, 7:42 pm

Not a legal response.....but I find applying logic often provides the obvious answer.

* Surely ignoring Mrs RS has to be the favourite option.

RececaDron
2 Lemon pips

Postby RececaDron » November 11th, 2018, 7:46 pm

redsturgeon wrote:We have just had some fitted wardrobes installed in our bedroom.

The wardrobes look great and in general we are happy with them.

As background...

Which company - local or national?
And how much moola?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 11th, 2018, 7:56 pm

RececaDron wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:We have just had some fitted wardrobes installed in our bedroom.

The wardrobes look great and in general we are happy with them.

As background...

Which company - local or national?
And how much moola?

Italian company, dealership in the Kings Road.

Hundreds of pounds to be returned.

John

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 15th, 2018, 9:53 am

redsturgeon wrote:They say they made a mistake with their quote and had only quoted for the power transformer and the lights and had omitted to quote for the different side units and shelves needed to accommodate the lighting system.

They could fit the full system but it would require a complete dismantling of the wardrobe already fitted and a significant extra cost above the original quote.

They have offered to refund my money for the lighting not supplied and have suggested that I can retrofit a lighting system myself. I have looked into this and it seems that I can indeed retrofit a system quite easily which would be significantly cheaper than the lighting that they would have provided.

I have looked at the drawings supplied with my order and all it says is, "including LED sensor lighting".

The significant extra cost above the original quote is their problem not yours if they forgot to install what they had quoted for.

I think you have two options -

1 - Make them fit what you they had quoted for - As this is what Mrs RS wants then whatever solution you come up with will she ever by happy? - I know Mrs AF62 wouldn't be. However you run the risk that the supplier is not inclined to deliver this solution and even if pushed to do the work, whenever you dismantle and reassemble something there is the risk they may not go back quite the same.

2 - A financial solution - I would not let them off the hook by allowing them to simply refund the the lighting not supplied which you believed you had paid for; even if they had not actually included the amounts in the quote. I would ask for an amount in addition to the cost to reflect the hassle you will have in fixing their error and the disappointment their failure to deliver has caused. A sufficiently large amount may convince Mrs RS that is the best way forward and it could be used to add to the contents of the wardrobe.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 15th, 2018, 10:11 am

AF62 wrote:
The significant extra cost above the original quote is their problem not yours if they forgot to install what they had quoted for.

I think you have two options -

1 - Make them fit what you they had quoted for - As this is what Mrs RS wants then whatever solution you come up with will she ever by happy? - I know Mrs AF62 wouldn't be. However you run the risk that the supplier is not inclined to deliver this solution and even if pushed to do the work, whenever you dismantle and reassemble something there is the risk they may not go back quite the same.

2 - A financial solution - I would not let them off the hook by allowing them to simply refund the the lighting not supplied which you believed you had paid for; even if they had not actually included the amounts in the quote. I would ask for an amount in addition to the cost to reflect the hassle you will have in fixing their error and the disappointment their failure to deliver has caused. A sufficiently large amount may convince Mrs RS that is the best way forward and it could be used to add to the contents of the wardrobe.

Thank you for your reply.

As I said, my problem is that looking at the quote, it does not specify anything in detail. They did not have the LED system fitted in the wardrobe we looked at in the shop so we have never seen the system. It seems to me that we have a contract with them to provide, "LED sensor lighting" rather than
"The integral super duper expensive lighting which is bespoke to this company, crafted by the first born children of the direct descendants of Michangelo and Da Vinci in the ancient workshops of Florence before being blessed by the virginal daughters of the aristocracy." (looking at the price it should be)

So I could "make them" fit "an LED sensor system" but I doubt I could make them fit the system that costs more that twice what they quoted".

As to Mrs RS ever being happy...I guess that is my problem to sort rather than the wardrobe company's. :(

I am tempted to go with option 2 myself and hope that Mrs RS comes around as she usually does...eventually.

I feel this was a genuine error on the part of the supplier and I'm not sure I wish to "punish" them unduly for it.

John

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 15th, 2018, 10:48 am

redsturgeon wrote:As I said, my problem is that looking at the quote, it does not specify anything in detail. They did not have the LED system fitted in the wardrobe we looked at in the shop so we have never seen the system. It seems to me that we have a contract with them to provide, "LED sensor lighting" rather than
"The integral super duper expensive lighting which is bespoke to this company, crafted by the first born children of the direct descendants of Michangelo and Da Vinci in the ancient workshops of Florence before being blessed by the virginal daughters of the aristocracy." (looking at the price it should be)

So I could "make them" fit "an LED sensor system" but I doubt I could make them fit the system that costs more that twice what they quoted".

If you could make them fit an LED system then they have already acknowledged they have messed up, and as they have already mentioned to you that they "could fit the full system but it would require a complete dismantling of the wardrobe already fitted and a significant extra cost above the original quote" then they know what sort of system they should fit.

If you mentioned that Mrs RS was pushing for what had been ordered but you didn't want the hassle of more work and could be persuaded for settling for a financial solution beyond a simple refund for the lighting which you had paid for, then you might find them being quite amenable if you were not outrageous in your demands and they could see it was a cheaper solution to the work they would have to do if you pressed the matter or the settlement if you took it legal.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 15th, 2018, 12:16 pm

R S

In previous posts you have said that you and Mrs R S run a consultancy and deal with a number of customers. How would you like a customer of yours to behave in a similar situation?

Would you prefer a litigious customer who takes a dispute all the way or one who is firm, knows what the financial implications are and makes a reasonable demand for a financial settlement?

If you value your time at your charge-out rate, it might be sensible to be the second kind.

So my approach would be to add a reasonable amount for your time to fit a suitable LED lighting system, ask for that and move on.

Firm but charming would be a nice strategy.

Oh! and with some of the proceeds, you could take Mrs RS out for a nice meal?

Or a weekend trip to Italy to view the ancient craft of furniture-making. :D

regards

Howard

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » November 15th, 2018, 5:15 pm

It seems that you would be happy with a half way house solution but your wife wants to hold out for what you are legally entitled to which is the full works. In our house I would suggest my wife takes up the matter with the company rather than doing so myself.

This resolves the matter with much less aggravation for me. :D

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » November 15th, 2018, 7:20 pm

@Howard or a trip to High Wycombe, home of bodging :D

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » November 15th, 2018, 7:26 pm

sg31 wrote:It seems that you would be happy with a half way house solution but your wife wants to hold out for what you are legally entitled to which is the full works. In our house I would suggest my wife takes up the matter with the company rather than doing so myself.

This resolves the matter with much less aggravation for me. :D

But that carries a big risk of your wife not getting a resolution. Always risky handing responsibility to someone else. My advice is ignore the wife and go for the ' half way house' solution yourself.I

Simples.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » November 15th, 2018, 8:19 pm

redsturgeon wrote: They say they made a mistake with their quote and had only quoted for the power transformer and the lights and had omitted to quote for the different side units and shelves needed to accommodate the lighting system.

Did the quote show anywhere E&OE (Errors and Omissions Excluded)? Most commercial quotes I used to get had this just stuck inconspicuously at the bottom in a corner.
If it's there somewhere then they have covered themselves and any offers subsequently made are for goodwill.
I suggest you check before antagonising them.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 25th, 2019, 4:47 pm

Returning to Redsturgeon's problem, ignoring Mrs RS does not seem to me to be a very sensible idea. Antagonising the supplier is not usually very sensible either as fundamentally they are the only people who can help you unless you rip up the contract and start again. I therefore would second Howard's suggestion.

Best of luck but it looks like some sort of compromise is going to be best.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 25th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Update.

I bought and fitted some rechargeable LED strip lighting which is ver smart, took minutes to fit and Mrs RS is happy. They are on sensors and timers and have not needed recharging since fitted over three moths ago.We bought a new bed with the money saved!

John

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 25th, 2019, 6:40 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
I bought and fitted some rechargeable LED strip lighting.

They are on sensors and timers and have not needed recharging since fitted over three moths ago.

You're helping them navigate their way around the wardrobe and they're still dying?

Itsallaguess

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 25th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
I bought and fitted some rechargeable LED strip lighting.

They are on sensors and timers and have not needed recharging since fitted over three moths ago.

You're helping them navigate their way around the wardrobe and they're still dying?

Itsallaguess

LOL haven't seen any moths but this morning there must have been a couple of dozen ladyboys in my bedroom

Whoops I think that should be ladybirds...

John

jamesmickel41

Postby jamesmickel41 » April 15th, 2019, 5:30 am

Strange to know about it.
Well, fitted wardrobe[th charging must be recharged. I have bought one and found them really working good.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”