Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Problems with registering LPA

including wills and probate
WandleHens

Problems with registering LPA

Postby WandleHens » December 12th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Why do some financial institutions make registering a LPA so difficult? I am helping my husbands godfathers widow(!) deal with her affairs as she is no longer able to. The LPA(s), Finance & Health were drawn up a few years ago, but it's only just recently that she has had to go into a care home.

There are three of us named on the LPA, appointed to act Jointly & Severally. The other two attorneys (one is my husband) are happy for me to administer her finances as I have more time. Most institutions have registered without a problem, but a few seem unable to understand the term Jointly & Severally, insisting that the other two provide ID before they will deal with me. One insisted that all three of us would have to attend in person at the same branch. Difficult when the third attorney lives over 200 miles away! When I phoned to make complaint, the call center employee asked to speak to the customer. I explained that it could prove difficult as the lady in question couldn't remember her own name at the time, hence lodging the LPA. Even when I lodged a written complaint to the CEO, that particular institution wrote back to say that the staff I spoke to gave me the correct advice & that they had suggested all three attend the branch if we all wanted access. I have always been very clear that I am the person dealing with her finances and the others will step in/ provide ID etc if circumstances change.

I know Jointly & Severally is the correct legal term, but if staff are unable to understand what it means, is it time to change the wording to; Jointly &/or Separately, or Jointly/Independently?

I have had to explain what the term means it to so many staff I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. It adds an extra layer of stress when one is trying to arrange the sale of the former home & manage various other practical and health issues.

I appreciated the one institution wrote and said they would offer further training for staff. As more of us live longer, with assets that need administering knowledge of how to handle these matters in a timely and sensitive matter will become all the more important.

WHens

production100
2 Lemon pips

Re: Problems with registering LPA

Postby production100 » December 13th, 2018, 2:55 pm

We have had similar experiences. Normally it is just untrained staff.

We had one classic situation where we asked a doctor for a death certificate. They now have to be signed off by two doctors. The first had recently seen the patient, knew they were dying and signed without a problem. The second doctor said they would have to talk to the patient. Our response was that we did not know that they could do that...

It was a good talking point in the family afterwards.

Chris

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”