Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Account holder for unincorporated members association

including wills and probate
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Account holder for unincorporated members association

Postby stewamax » January 3rd, 2019, 11:17 am

A. What please is the correct ‘style’ for the name (and address) of the bank account holder/s of an unincorporated members association?
If Joe Smith is the club secretary of small non-league club Kickem United (which has both a ground and a small office in Bootem Street, Footyton– i.e. has a legitimate postal address), should their bank account be in the name of:
- Joe Smith
- Joe Smith for Kickem United
- Joe Smith on behalf of Kickem United
- Joe Smith for and on behalf of Kickem United

and should the account holder’s address be:
- Joe Smith’s own private address
- Bootem Street, Footyton

(Joe Smith is, I assume, acting as trustee of an implied bare trust with Kickem United as beneficiary).

B. Joe wants to register a domain name for Kickem United. Registrars such as 123-reg typically only offer two boxes for the registrant’s ‘name’:
- ‘name’
- ‘organisation’
Name is presumably Joe Smith, but is organisation (e.g.) “for and on behalf of Kickem United”?

C: When Kickem unexpectedly win the FA cup, they find it is high time they incorporated. Does the account name (or domain name registrant) then become simply Kickem United Ltd (at Kickem’s office address) with Joe Smith’s name merely becoming a ‘contact’?

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Account holder for unincorporated members association

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 3rd, 2019, 12:54 pm

stewamax wrote:A. What please is the correct ‘style’ for the name (and address) of the bank account holder/s of an unincorporated members association?
If Joe Smith is the club secretary of small non-league club Kickem United (which has both a ground and a small office in Bootem Street, Footyton– i.e. has a legitimate postal address), should their bank account be in the name of:
- Joe Smith
- Joe Smith for Kickem United
- Joe Smith on behalf of Kickem United
- Joe Smith for and on behalf of Kickem United

and should the account holder’s address be:
- Joe Smith’s own private address
- Bootem Street, Footyton

(Joe Smith is, I assume, acting as trustee of an implied bare trust with Kickem United as beneficiary).

B. Joe wants to register a domain name for Kickem United. Registrars such as 123-reg typically only offer two boxes for the registrant’s ‘name’:
- ‘name’
- ‘organisation’
Name is presumably Joe Smith, but is organisation (e.g.) “for and on behalf of Kickem United”?

C: When Kickem unexpectedly win the FA cup, they find it is high time they incorporated. Does the account name (or domain name registrant) then become simply Kickem United Ltd (at Kickem’s office address) with Joe Smith’s name merely becoming a ‘contact’?

Mrs DM is the treasurer of an unincorporated association. The bank account is in the name of the unincorporated association. Bank statements come to DM Towers, for convenience. If the association incorporated, she would either be a director and/or an officer (in the same way as a company secretary is an officer, but not necessarily a director). "Organisation" for the purposes of a domain provider would be "Kickem United".

This may not be strictly the *legal* answer, but is also the case with every unincorporated body I have been involved with.

DM

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”