Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Enrolled Deed Poll

including wills and probate
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Enrolled Deed Poll

Postby brightncheerful » April 12th, 2019, 11:54 am

DAK please how soon after change of name by enrolled deed poll one has to notify all the authorities and others affected.

For example, can one notify some but not others? Only inform the others in one's own time.

Maylix
2 Lemon pips

Re: Enrolled Deed Poll

Postby Maylix » April 12th, 2019, 10:33 pm

HI BNC
I did this a few years ago, I don't think there were any legal requirements re timing for notifying organisations. Technically in the deed you say that you want to be known henceforth by your new name so you should do it all immediately, but that's not practical anyway, so you inevitably do it in some kind of order. It took me several (5/6) months. One tip: most people have two forms of photo-id, passport and driving license, I would do one of those first and the other one last. That way you have one in the old name that you can use if need be during the process.
I did passport first, then anyone who was giving me money (Employer/ Student Loans, pension providers etc) then bank accounts, then brokers, then finally utilities council tax etc, and then when I was sure there was no-one else left I did my Driving license. Like I said it took several months.
HTH
Maylix

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 13th, 2019, 7:49 pm

brightncheerful wrote:DAK please how soon after change of name by enrolled deed poll one has to notify all the authorities and others affected.

There's no specific time limit - it's up to you who you tell and when you tell them.

But for anyone else reading this there's no need whatsoever to go through the rigmarole and expense of a formal deed poll to change your name unless you're someone with a formal title, such as a member of the aristocracy. A simple document stating that you're doing so is just as effective, and you can download the necessary paperwork for free.

In fact it's absurdly easy to change your name, which no doubt helps to explain why there's such an epidemic of fraud.

DrBunsenHoneydew
Lemon Slice

Postby DrBunsenHoneydew » April 14th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:DAK please how soon after change of name by enrolled deed poll one has to notify all the authorities and others affected.

There's no specific time limit - it's up to you who you tell and when you tell them.

But for anyone else reading this there's no need whatsoever to go through the rigmarole and expense of a formal deed poll to change your name unless you're someone with a formal title, such as a member of the aristocracy. A simple document stating that you're doing so is just as effective, and you can download the necessary paperwork for free.

In fact it's absurdly easy to change your name, which no doubt helps to explain why there's such an epidemic of fraud.

If the Deed Poll is not "enrolled" it may be somewhat less useful, as you may additionally need to prove your identity in your new name if you try to use the deed poll unenrolled. See for example the Nationwide Building Society "Change of Name on Accounts" requirements https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/how-to/update-details/change-your-name

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 15th, 2019, 2:49 pm

DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:See for example the Nationwide Building Society "Change of Name on Accounts" requirements https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/how-to/update-details/change-your-name

I don't know whether it's just my browser, but there was no text in the `Change your name' tab.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 15th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
DrBunsenHoneydew wrote:See for example the Nationwide Building Society "Change of Name on Accounts" requirements https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/how-to/update-details/change-your-name

I don't know whether it's just my browser, but there was no text in the `Change your name' tab.

It's not your browser! When I looked it was blank and I therefore commented as such on their Did you find this page helpful? tab.

Came back here to reply and can now see narrative here:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/su ... geyourname (a slightly expanded link)

Can you?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 15th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Came back here to reply and can now see narrative here:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/su ... geyourname (a slightly expanded link)

Can you?

No, at least not on my PC, but I suspect that's because it's just loading the version of the page I originally linked to. I also left a message, and I can now see the narrative when I connect via my phone.

Mind you, I see they'll accept a statutory declaration, which is a much cheaper and simpler option than enrolling a deed poll.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”