Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Driving licenses in the EU post B-word

including wills and probate
didds
Lemon Half

Driving licenses in the EU post B-word

Postby didds » March 1st, 2019, 8:40 am

Its my understanding that under the 1948 Geneva Convention on Roaf Traffic Regulations, and the similar 1968 Vienna convention, co--signees of those conventions agree that each other's domestric driving licences would be OK to use when visiting each other's countries.

These countries include (see link) many EU countries including the UK, France, the Netherlands etc.
https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetai ... g3&lang=en

When I lived in Germany in the very late 80s and very earlu 90s I did end up swapping my UK license for a German one - but the German authorities weren't overly bothered about that happening for at least a year and when I trundled along after that year they didn't seem overly concerned that it had to happen either. (I subsequently lost my German license in Australia a couple of years later and got my UK license reissued from Swansea without any query or fuss whatsoever - I'm sure I had to surrender my UK liciense to the German authorities when I "swapped". Clearly Swansea didn't know/didn't care!)

anyway - back to the point.

Im not seeing various reports of post-Brexit driving liccense requirements for EU countries - requiring an international driving permit. Including - depending on the source one reads etc - for visitors, not just long term residents. ie go to Italy on holiday, want to rent a car, you need an IDL not your UK license. But that flies in the face of the Geneva and Vienna conventions surely? So ... what's going on?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to- ... ter-brexit

didds

gvonge
Lemon Pip

Re: Driving licenses in the EU post B-word

Postby gvonge » March 1st, 2019, 9:16 am

Not directly related to the question of licensing, but don't forget insurance requirements.
https://www.abi.org.uk/news/news-articl ... al-brexit/

modellingman
Lemon Slice

Postby modellingman » March 1st, 2019, 10:51 am

didds wrote:Im not seeing various reports of post-Brexit driving liccense requirements for EU countries - requiring an international driving permit. Including - depending on the source one reads etc - for visitors, not just long term residents. ie go to Italy on holiday, want to rent a car, you need an IDL not your UK license. But that flies in the face of the Geneva and Vienna conventions surely? So ... what's going on?

didds

According to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/internation ... march-2019

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips. Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may need an IDP in addition to their UK driving licence to drive when visiting EU and EEA countries

Each EU and EEA country will decide if they require a foreign driver to have an IDP, in addition to a driving licence, to legally drive in their country.

So, you may need an IDP which also requires you to carry your UK driving license for it to be valid. The strong advice in Spain from the UK Ambassador and the consular service is that, if they have not previously done so, permanent residents should exchange their UK licenses for Spanish ones before 29 March to cater for the possibility of a no deal exit on that date.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 4th, 2019, 9:17 am

"not" in my OP should have been "now" - apolgies.

So what happened to the Geneva and Vienna conventions of 1949 and 1968, if the UK govt and EU are having to make arrangements for UK licences to be acceptable for toursts and other short term visitors? This is the crux of my question. If one was a Kiwi (ie outside the EU, signee nation to those two conventions) one could arrive in the EU on holiday and drive on a kiwi license. Why would a UK license be any different under the same rules/regs/agreements? As they did prior to 1973 of course.

didds

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 4th, 2019, 12:18 pm

didds wrote:Its my understanding that under the 1948 Geneva Convention on Roaf Traffic Regulations, and the similar 1968 Vienna convention, co--signees of those conventions agree that each other's domestric driving licences would be OK to use when visiting each other's countries.

These countries include (see link) many EU countries including the UK, France, the Netherlands etc.
https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetai ... g3&lang=en

When I lived in Germany in the very late 80s and very earlu 90s I did end up swapping my UK license for a German one - but the German authorities weren't overly bothered about that happening for at least a year and when I trundled along after that year they didn't seem overly concerned that it had to happen either. (I subsequently lost my German license in Australia a couple of years later and got my UK license reissued from Swansea without any query or fuss whatsoever - I'm sure I had to surrender my UK liciense to the German authorities when I "swapped". Clearly Swansea didn't know/didn't care!)

anyway - back to the point.

Im not seeing various reports of post-Brexit driving liccense requirements for EU countries - requiring an international driving permit. Including - depending on the source one reads etc - for visitors, not just long term residents. ie go to Italy on holiday, want to rent a car, you need an IDL not your UK license. But that flies in the face of the Geneva and Vienna conventions surely? So ... what's going on?

didds

There was a quite revealing article in the Guardian on 23 Feb about what happens if there's a no deal Brexit for things like driving licences, car insurance, taking your car abroad (and other things like EHIc and pet passports but this thread relates to driving licences)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... is-no-deal

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 4th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Just today I've had an email from my insurer saying that in the event of a no deal Brexit I'd need a green card if I wanted to drive in Europe. Free of charge though. But limited to 90 days of like-for-like cover.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 9th, 2019, 7:04 pm

My son will be visiting France by car, returning March 30th. So he is taking no chances, and has purchased the appropriate international licence. Better safe than sorry. I'll be visiting Wales around the key period, but I haven't taken any such precautions :lol:

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 10th, 2019, 12:08 pm

scotia wrote:My son will be visiting France by car, returning March 30th. So he is taking no chances, and has purchased the appropriate international licence.

Insurance Green Card?

Slarti

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » March 10th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Slarti wrote:
scotia wrote:My son will be visiting France by car, returning March 30th. So he is taking no chances, and has purchased the appropriate international licence.

Insurance Green Card?

Slarti

I'll enquire

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 10th, 2019, 11:21 pm

My Car insurer (Admiral) sent me an Email:

As your current motor insurance provider, we would like to highlight the possible impact of a no deal Brexit on your car insurance policy. If you intend to take your vehicle outside the UK after 29th March 2019 you will require a Green Card.

TJH

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”