Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mobile phone

including wills and probate
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Mobile phone

Postby melonfool » March 17th, 2019, 8:36 pm

Hi

I had to buy a mobile phone in a hurry as my previous one stopped charging and I needed to get the data transferred before the old one completely died.

Whilst I needed it quickly I did do some research and I went for the OnePlus 6.

In reading their website I noted it said it had a 3.5mm headphone/audio port: https://www.oneplus.com/uk/6/specs

"Ports
USB 2.0, Type-C, Support USB Audio
Dual nano-SIM slot
3.5 mm audio jack"

I also noted that it said that 'in the box' was a headphone port adapter, so this was confusing.

I sent them a message saying (I was considering both the 5 or 6 at the time):

"Does either have a headphone port? I use this in the car for AV input and I don't want to use an adapter as I would be bound to lose it." (I am also aware that iPhones went down this route for their newer models).

They replied:

"As regards to your inquiry, we do have headphone port on our OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 6 devices"

I got the phone (the 6) and it does NOT have a 3.5mm headphone port.

It *does* have an adapter in the box which adapts the charging port into a 3.5mm port.

Surely this is quite different?

I have gone round and round in circles with them. They asked me to send a photo of the phone, I refused on the basis that 1) I only have the phone to take the photo with and it cannot photograph itself, and 2) what do they want a photograph of, I can't photograph something that isn't there. I sent them a photo of a 3.5mm headphone port on another phone and the jack that goes into it, so they could see the type I mean. This shows the same thing:

https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=440

There is simply no port on the phone for this. I do not wish to use an adapter and I can't anyway as when I am in the car (which is when I use the audio port) I need the phone on charge to power the satnav.

I have now asked them to send ME a photo of one of their phones with the 3.5mm headphone port. I am waiting to hear from them.

I don't know what I want them to do really, maybe offer some discount?

But am I right in thinking this is a clear breach of the Sale Of Goods Act?

Ta

Mel

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Mobile phone

Postby Itsallaguess » March 17th, 2019, 8:48 pm

melonfool wrote:
They replied:

"As regards to your inquiry, we do have headphone port on our OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 6 devices"

I got the phone (the 6) and it does NOT have a 3.5mm headphone port.

It *does* have an adapter in the box which adapts the charging port into a 3.5mm port.

Surely this is quite different?

Are you sure you bought a OnePlus 6 Mel, and not the OnePlus 6T?

I only ask because I remember reading about them removing the 3.5mm jack on the 6T, but I think the 6 still had it, and this comparison seems to confirm this -

The 6T loses the headphone jack but is slightly taller and fatter than the 6, in part to accommodate a larger battery.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/smartphones/oneplus-6t-vs-oneplus-6-3685559/

On the face of it, you seem to have asked some questions, and received some answers to those questions, specifically referring to the OnePlus 6, but then perhaps went on to actually purchase (or at least receive...) the OnePlus 6T.

Is this the case, do you think?

Do you have any order-details that might confirm this?

If you ordered the OnePlus 6, and received a OnePlus 6T, then that would be a different matter, of course...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 17th, 2019, 9:04 pm

You are right!

I've never heard of the OnePlus6T!

The box doesn't mention it*, nor does the phone itself, but the packing slip says OnePlus 6T midnight black.

On the website I just looked at the 6 and ordered the top spec for the memory and screen size. Looking again, you can only buy the 6T on the website, there is nowhere to buy the 6 at all.

That does explain it, but they might have said this in the 12 emails we have exchanged. They have my order number. Idiots they are!

Thanks

Not quite sure what to do but hey ho.

*I've just looked again and there is a tiny superscript T after the 6 which at a glance could look just like a copyright symbol or something.

Mel

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 17th, 2019, 9:20 pm

melonfool wrote:

Is there a distance-selling issue here that you can get reimbursed for?

I think under that regulation, you've usually got 14 days from delivery, during which you can simply send the item back if I remember rightly.

I think you've got a 'right to cancel' during this 14-day period, and you don't need to give any reason at all for doing so...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 17th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
melonfool wrote:

Is there a distance-selling issue here that you can get reimbursed for?

I think under that regulation, you've usually got 14 days from delivery, during which you can simply send the item back if I remember rightly.

I think you've got a 'right to cancel' during this 14-day period, and you don't need to give any reason at all for doing so...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Probably, but if I send it back I need to buy a new one *before* that so I can transfer the data (again). And the 14 days is nearly up..... And I'm not sure they would accept it in the used state, it's not damaged or anything, but it has been used and has all my accounts etc on it.

That was why I ended up buying a new one before sorting out the old one, Nokia wanted to send it to Hungary for a month for repair which I think is unreasonable, Argos would not swap it (apparently due to 'data protection'), so I'm doing a credit card recharge on that through Amex (wish me luck!), but I needed to get a new phone before that one died due to the data transfer.

Actually, I think the 14 days is up tomorrow. I've been emailing them back and forth since it arrived. At the rate of about one per day.

I mean, it's a great phone, and for the money (though not cheap) it's a lot of storage etc. I just really prefer a headphone port. Though I have now managed to get the phone to connect to the car via something called BTA so it's probably OK except for headphones.

Mel

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 18th, 2019, 8:29 am

Hi Mel
you say your old phone stopped charging....

did you try a new battery? its usually the battery that's died rather than some part of charge systems

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 18th, 2019, 11:06 am

mutantpoodle wrote:Hi Mel
you say your old phone stopped charging....

did you try a new battery? its usually the battery that's died rather than some part of charge systems

It's only 8m old and was 6m old when it first stopped charging reliably. The charging port is loose and the charger won't stay in (I can just about get it to charge if I sit holding the charger in at a certain angle) and the forums are full of people with the same phone saying the same.

Also, the battery is enclosed so I can't change it and to do so would invalidate any warranty, and to get Nokia to do it would probably involve a 4 week trip to Hungary for it.....which is what I was trying to avoid.

:)

Mel

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » March 18th, 2019, 1:35 pm

... and OnePlus repeatedly mocked Apple for removing the 3.5mm jack socket from their latest iPhones...
Hypocrites!

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 18th, 2019, 3:20 pm

melonfool wrote:I mean, it's a great phone, and for the money (though not cheap) it's a lot of storage etc. I just really prefer a headphone port. Though I have now managed to get the phone to connect to the car via something called BTA so it's probably OK except for headphones.

Mel

I tend to use bluetooth these days for headphones.

You can buy bluetooth cans quite cheaply. Alternatively you can buy tiny in ear bluetooth things that for some reason flash. What I have done is buy a bluetooth "transmiter"* off ebay for about £8 and plugged in standard in-ear headphones.

It's easier to find my device as a transmitter.

ie
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2in1-Wireles ... ctupt=true

No connection to the seller by the way.

The reason that manufacturers are stopping fitting headphone ports is the force that can be transmitted through them which often causes damage. Something symilar may have happened with your old phones charging port.

I have also invested in a magnetic charging cable, not this one but it would work.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USLION-Magne ... ctupt=true

An advantage/disadvantage is that if you apply any force they seperate. Another is that you can easily swap devices being charged without unplugging and plugging. The cable and addaptor are simply held together magneticly. It does get in the way of data transfer though.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 18th, 2019, 3:45 pm

I have options - I've checked and you can buy USB-C earphones anyway, or I can use the adapter.

I think the BTA thing in the car *is* Bluetooth.

I'm not sure what you mean by force being applied through my charging port, it makes it sound as if you think I damaged the previous phone, in which case so did nearly every other user of that phone, having managed to work all other phones without damaging them in the past.

I did not damage it, it doesn't work properly. I can't be bothered to post on here why not (since this is the legal board), but the design is very flawed.

I quite like the magnetic charger though, but I'd need quite a few as I have them in the house, car and one in my work bag. Bit of an investment.

Mel

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”