Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Late parking issue

including wills and probate
peabottle

Late parking issue

Postby peabottle » May 25th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Hello all,
On 04/09/2016 I parked illegally, I took it I had a good case to appeal, therefore I appealed to the Independent Appeal Service (IAS) After corresponding with the adjudicator the final decision being not in my favour. In his decision he states (only the Operator has the discretion to vary or cancel the parking charge) I therefore waited for a response from the parking fine company, would they accept my explanation of the events and be sympathetic with the outcome or that I would have to pay £100 fine?

A letter arrived
https://www.filedropper.com/processing/ ... afaaa2d514

I was surprised to find the parking fine now stands at £160. I have not had any correspondence from the parking fine company since prior to the adjudicators statement. I contacted via email the parking fine company.

Dear sir / madam

I have received a solicitors letter on your behalf regarding a parking fine. I have now been asked to pay £160. In the letter from them they are stating that you have written to me to request payment. I have not received any correspondence from the outcome off the appeal verdict.
When I received my appeal notice which was not in my favour, it also stated it is now up to the discretion off NPE Ltd. I envied having a claim from you off £100, or you being sympathetic and not imposing a fine. I have had no communication from you since Sept 2016 ( almost 3 yrs )
Their reply
Please provide the parking charge reference and vehicle registration to enable me to investigate your comments below.

Their latest reply

As the parking charge remained unpaid, we have involved our solicitors to start the process of reclaiming the unpaid debt through the courts.

We have 6 years from the date of the parking charge issue to proceed with the course of action.

I don’t think they understood why I was contacting them, so I downloaded the adjudicator closing statement.

This is the out come of the appeal

The adjudicator made their decision on 16/11/2016 01:08:47.

I note the Appellant's comments however having considered the images provided I am satisfied that the signage on site complies with current regulations and that the Appellant was made reasonably aware of the terms and conditions of parking at the time of the parking event. It is clear from the evidence provided that the Appellant parked otherwise than in accordance with these terms.

Whilst having a degree of sympathy with the Appellant once liability has been established, only the Operator has the discretion to vary or cancel the parking charge based on mitigating circumstances and accordingly the appeal is dismissed.

Since the adjudicators outcome, I have not received any response from you.

I would appreciate your opinion.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Re: Late parking issue

Postby quelquod » May 25th, 2019, 3:08 pm

With respect it seems to me that having lost your appeal you should have paid the due parking charges there and then. Alternatively you should have asked the parking company for leniency referring to the adjudication. There was no onus on them to initiate a dialogue. Instead you’ve waited until they have escalated matters and increased their costs, and therefore your bill. ISTM that you should now pay up promptly or risk them escalating it further with a further increase in your costs.

peabottle

Re: Late parking issue

Postby peabottle » May 26th, 2019, 12:11 pm

Okay,I was actually expecting a payment reminder or leniency from the parking fine company when I lost my appeal. But after nearly 3yrs of no communication I was surprised by the resent solicitors letter.
Now that I have had a second opinion from a different outlook,I will now pay the fine.
Thank you for your post.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”