Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Discriminatory Council Services

including wills and probate
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Discriminatory Council Services

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 27th, 2019, 11:15 pm

I've just looked up our council's recycling centre services. I hope to take a load there, with the help of a friend who has a car and a trailer he usually uses for garden waste.

Checking on their website, I need to apply in advance for a permit to take a trailer there, and the trailer can't be too big. OK so far: it's only little.

However, it also says clearly that I can't get a permit unless it's my own vehicle. That seems clearly discriminatory against residents who don't own a car. Including those of us who, by virtue of disability (in my case, inadequate eyesight), don't drive at all. I pay my council tax, but am denied this council service!

If disability is a protected characteristic(?), does this not amount to unlawful discrimination?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Discriminatory Council Services

Postby swill453 » July 27th, 2019, 11:26 pm

Surely it's your friend who should apply for the permit?

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 27th, 2019, 11:54 pm

Doesn't work. He lives a few miles away and pays council tax to a neighbouring council, so wouldn't be eligible.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 28th, 2019, 1:26 am

First thoughts; the council are trying to stop unscrupulous traders from getting all their mates to register so that they can avoid commercial charges. If that's the case, then I see their point, even if it's a poorly thought through policy and probably impossible to enforce.

Could you not give them your friend's registration? After all, you might be in the process of buying the car. You are allowed to own a car, even if you don't or can't drive it.

Presumably you will be in the car when your friend drives to the tip?

Of course, you could raise it with your MP or councillor if you want to address the issue of discrimination against non-driving residents, or you could just go for a pragmatic approach if you just want to use the tip - or both, but get the journey to the tip out of the way first, as the anti-discrimination fight might take a while!

VRD

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » July 28th, 2019, 2:19 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Doesn't work. He lives a few miles away and pays council tax to a neighbouring council, so wouldn't be eligible.

Either do multiple trips without the trailer to your recycling centre, or fill the car+trailer and take the rubbish to his "recycling centre", making sure that everything in the trailer is recyclable/non-landfill material (large quantities of stuff going in the recycling skips improves their recycling stats).

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 28th, 2019, 8:05 am

Why not approach the council directly for their advice? Presumably they will have come across similar situations before.

If no joy with a direct approach, try your local councillor.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 28th, 2019, 8:31 am

vrdiver wrote:First thoughts; the council are trying to stop unscrupulous traders from getting all their mates to register so that they can avoid commercial charges. If that's the case, then I see their point, even if it's a poorly thought through policy and probably impossible to enforce.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's the basic situation.
Could you not give them your friend's registration? After all, you might be in the process of buying the car. You are allowed to own a car, even if you don't or can't drive it.

Presumably you will be in the car when your friend drives to the tip?

Yes I'll be in the car. No, it was pretty clear they do check that the car is indeed registered to the right address - and to play games like that would be to turn myself into a wannabe scammer. Bear in mind the scammers they're fighting off know and can play the system a whole lot better than a one-off user who just has a dead sofa and a few bits&pieces.

XFool wrote:Why not approach the council directly for their advice? Presumably they will have come across similar situations before.

That's the next thing to try - though recycling services are missing from their list of contact numbers and addresses.

Didn't think I'd get much joy phoning them on a Saturday evening when I'd just checked the website. Regardless of the outcome, the question I posted here is one I think merits discussion.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”