Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Original Lease for a registered leasehold property

including wills and probate
PhiltheGill

Original Lease for a registered leasehold property

Postby PhiltheGill » September 13th, 2019, 1:32 pm

Hi all

My wife and her sisters own the freehold to a small block of flats. They have a need to look at the terms of one of the leases.

Can anyone advise me how to get a copy of the original lease that the land certificate refers to?

Thanks in advance.

Phil

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Original Lease for a registered leasehold property

Postby Clitheroekid » September 13th, 2019, 2:23 pm

The freehold title will have a schedule of all leases that have been registered against it, and it will also give the title number for each individual lease.

Your sister therefore just needs to go to the LR website - https://www.gov.uk/search-property-info ... d-registry - type in the relevant title number, pay the modest fee and then download a copy of the lease.

PhiltheGill

Postby PhiltheGill » September 13th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Thanks Clitheroekid.

I'm off to follow the link!

Phil

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 13th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:The freehold title will have a schedule of all leases that have been registered against it, and it will also give the title number for each individual lease.

Your sister therefore just needs to go to the LR website - https://www.gov.uk/search-property-info ... d-registry - type in the relevant title number, pay the modest fee and then download a copy of the lease.

Ummm...that's the leasehold title that the LR website gives you, not a copy of the lease.

The leasehold title will have "short particulars" of the lease (date, term, rent, parties) but it won't have all the full terms of it (who is responsible for what, etc).

I have the freehold and leasehold titles for my flat from the LR website, and the latter is only 3 pages. My lease, which I have the original paper copy of, goes on for 20 (foolscap!) pages.

I gather you can't get a copy of a lease online but have to apply for it. At least that's what the LR told my brother when he wanted to get a copy of the lease of our mum's place, and so he applied but, after several weeks, they told him that they don't seem to have a copy of it. He's now trying to track down mum's old solicitor (or, at least, wherever the practice went) to see if they've got a copy.....

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » September 13th, 2019, 7:44 pm

mc2fool wrote:I gather you can't get a copy of a lease online but have to apply for it.

I have an online account with LR, so I can download a copy of a lease in 10 seconds. I've never used the public access link I supplied, so it may be that you do have to make a specific application for it. However, I'd be 99.9% sure they will have a copy, so it should be no problem obtaining one.

In the highly unlikely event that you can't get a copy from LR why not just ask the tenant for a copy of his?

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”