Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Copyright Disclaimer

including wills and probate
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Copyright Disclaimer

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » March 16th, 2020, 9:23 pm

I was watching You Tube tonight.

This appeared under a song I was listening to.

Is it correct?

Copyright Disclaimer under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
Disclaimer: All rights reserved to their respective owners. All descriptions, images, audio and video clips are the sole property of their respective owners. This video is only for non-profit usage and publishing. I do not own any rights to its content and absolutely no Copyright Infringement intended. Copyright holder is respected and not infringed upon. (For entertainment purposes only)

AiYn'U

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: Copyright Disclaimer

Postby dspp » March 17th, 2020, 9:20 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I was watching You Tube tonight.

This appeared under a song I was listening to.

Is it correct?

Copyright Disclaimer under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
Disclaimer: All rights reserved to their respective owners. All descriptions, images, audio and video clips are the sole property of their respective owners. This video is only for non-profit usage and publishing. I do not own any rights to its content and absolutely no Copyright Infringement intended. Copyright holder is respected and not infringed upon. (For entertainment purposes only)

AiYn'U

No one else has bitten, so I'll try. A copyright disclaimer is the reverse of a copyright notice. This is a disclaimer. You can write anything you want in a copyright notice, or a copyright disclaimer, but whether what you write will give the intended protection depends on a heck of a lot of factors. Too many for a simple answer.

This looks like a pretty weak boilerplate disclaimer to me. Whether that matters will depend on whether this song goes mainstream, and whose underlying copyright it might be infringing (if it is Grateful Dead, then they will likely cheer on the ripping off; if it is TinTin then I can guarantee the copyright owner would sue).

regards, dspp

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 17th, 2020, 12:13 pm

OK, I'll bite too. IANAL, and I stand to be corrected ...

I believe the text quoted is true.

But attaching it to a song on youtube is turning it completely on its head. The last thing you could consider "fair use" is playing a complete song in isolation. Fair use would imply a context that justifies use (like illustrating a point in a scholarly discussion), and would be a sample appropriate to its purpose in that context.

Thus if you were to write about equal temperament, an obvious fair use would be to play samples from Bach's 48. Though in terms of copyright that's hypothetical: Bach himself is long out of copyright, and copyright issues would arise not from his music but from a performance and perhaps an edition.

Maybe it's someone who does have the right making a political statement. But pretty likely it's some complete idiot posturing.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 17th, 2020, 12:49 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976

As I'm sure you know, that is an act of the USofA.

Here's a very brief outline from The United States Copyright Office https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html.

Note the section headed Nature of the copyrighted work.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”