Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Funeral expenses

including wills and probate
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Funeral expenses

Postby Watis » September 1st, 2020, 10:27 am

I'm preparing an Inheritance Tax Estate report for HMRC, prior to applying for probate.

It's unclear to me whether the 'funeral expenses' section should include the costs of the funeral itself, namely, the funeral, cremation and Funeral Director's fees.

The advice covers such things as flowers, mourning clothes, refreshments and so on - but nothing about the major funeral expenses.

Is that because it is assumed that the main funeral expenses will be included anyway, or because they should be excluded?

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but it's not obvious to me...

TIA.

Watis

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Funeral expenses

Postby genou » September 1st, 2020, 10:31 am

Watis wrote:I'm preparing an Inheritance Tax Estate report for HMRC, prior to applying for probate.

It's unclear to me whether the 'funeral expenses' section should include the costs of the funeral itself, namely, the funeral, cremation and Funeral Director's fees.

The advice covers such things as flowers, mourning clothes, refreshments and so on - but nothing about the major funeral expenses.

Is that because it is assumed that the main funeral expenses will be included anyway, or because they should be excluded?

Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but it's not obvious to me...

TIA.

Watis

You should deduct all the funeral expenses from the estate.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”