Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Clerical Medical not paying out

including wills and probate
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Clerical Medical not paying out

Postby staffordian » April 1st, 2021, 3:34 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Thanks, I have never experienced a refusal to sign, but it's worth knowing.

RVF

Doubt a reputable company would employ such a strategy, but definitely worth bearing in mind if you're unsure of the bona fides of a company you're in dispute with.

And almost by definition, the chances are high that if there is a serious dispute the morals of the company in question might be a bit south of where you thought they were...

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 1st, 2021, 4:23 pm

mc2fool wrote:

My very limited experience is that solicitors send two, one signed-for and the other not.

is that just so that they can then charge twice for the same thing though?

;-) <----

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 1st, 2021, 5:52 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Thanks, I have never experienced a refusal to sign, but it's worth knowing.

I believe it is pretty common to most corporates. Thinking about it, if they receive hundreds or thousands of such letters a day, it would be a HUGE amount of work to check the identity of all the letters matched what they were signing for, whilst postie stands there twiddling his thumbs. And since it can only benefit the sender, not them, they just refuse to bother. Leaving Royal Mail with the tricky decision of handing it over anyway (which they do) or refusing to deliver and incurring all the cost of returning it.

This does mean that IF they go to court and IF they are a dodgy co, they can say "we never received that", and the evidence would concur since the incomplete audit trail shows no proof of delivery. Hence better to rely on "assumed" delivery of normal mail.

Gryff

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 1st, 2021, 7:24 pm

How much is involved?

JonnyT
Lemon Pip

Postby JonnyT » April 2nd, 2021, 4:42 pm

I have a formal complaint and ironically yesterday they sent me a text message apologising it has taken longer than expected and will explain why it hasn't been resolved if not resolved by the 2nd May.

Its not a vast sum involved < £50k but they are the last to pay up, everyone else paid up weeks ago, one paid up on the same day as Probate with a photocopy sent, one just paid out straight away on notification of death before probate.

Having now sorted out both my parents estates in the past two years I can say there needs to be standard procedures prescribed and enforced by Government as its the wild west out there.

Lemon Slice

Postby 9873210 » April 2nd, 2021, 7:21 pm

gryffron wrote:

I believe it is pretty common to most corporates. Thinking about it, if they receive hundreds or thousands of such letters a day, it would be a HUGE amount of work to check the identity of all the letters matched what they were signing for, whilst postie stands there twiddling his thumbs. And since it can only benefit the sender, not them, they just refuse to bother. Leaving Royal Mail with the tricky decision of handing it over anyway (which they do) or refusing to deliver and incurring all the cost of returning it.

This does mean that IF they go to court and IF they are a dodgy co, they can say "we never received that", and the evidence would concur since the incomplete audit trail shows no proof of delivery. Hence better to rely on "assumed" delivery of normal mail.

Gryff

If a company is getting hundreds of such letters a day it is a HUGE company. HUGE amounts of work go with being HUGE.

A policy of refusing to sign should not be hard to prove. There are at least a few judges who regard bad faith as, well, bad.

On a related note. If anybody has dispute with Verizon where Verizon is relying on a lack of a receipt, I am willing the testify that Verizon does not provide receipts even when one is requested.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 3rd, 2021, 8:16 am

JonnyT wrote:
Having now sorted out both my parents estates in the past two years I can say there needs to be standard procedures prescribed and enforced by Government as its the wild west out there.

Yikes, careful what you wish for. Just as likely with that approach there will be gravitation in the direction of the worse providers than the best (and a potential extra layer of complication with Government involvement).

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 3rd, 2021, 1:42 pm

9873210 wrote:[
If a company is getting hundreds of such letters a day it is a HUGE company. HUGE amounts of work go with being HUGE.

And HUGE companies need HUGE workforces as a result.

Not just a part timer working in between school hours and dog walking needs.

didds

JonnyT
Lemon Pip

Postby JonnyT » May 5th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Still not paid out and failed to provide a reason within 8 weeks of the formal complaint, though actually acknowledged they hadn't and said they would be 30th May. Do I believe them, no.

It's now gone to the Ombudsman where I've also asked for monies to take into account the time and effort I've had to put in to get this resolved. Unfortunately they are also saying they have massive delays!!!

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”