Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Rental property - doors won't shut/lock securely, landlord disinterested.

including wills and probate
Diplo

Rental property - doors won't shut/lock securely, landlord disinterested.

Postby Diplo » March 4th, 2022, 8:27 pm

We rent a property which has two sliding doors, one opens to the garden, the other to a terrace. Both are very difficult to shut and lock. On one you have to have sufficient momentum, the handles 'just right' and if you're lucky you can get it closed. The other is similar but worse, you need someone else standing outside helping to push the frame inwards to be able to lock it from the inside. Cracks on the wooden frame by both handles suggest that door has for some time required brute force to close it.

We are concerned that the doors have not been maintained and the slide/runner mechanisms might be damaged. We've lived in property with doors like this before, we understand how they should work. Our concern is that there might be a point a door simply refuses to shut. There would be associated risks re: security of the building, our possessions and also re: rain damage for which we might get blamed.

We reported this to the landlord as a part of our checking through the inventory on moving in. He offered to send his mother to show us how to close/lock them. Come the agreed appointment the letting agent was there with me but his mother was a no-show. We've heard nothing further from them in the week+ since; frankly the landlord generally seems disinterested. The agents tell me this is the landlords first let.

Does a tenant have a ‘right to security’? I’m trying to ascertain if there is potential legal angle that I could use to get the landlords attention.

Thanks!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Rental property - doors won't shut/lock securely, landlord disinterested.

Postby Lootman » March 4th, 2022, 8:46 pm

These "floor to ceiling" sliding glass doors must have been high fashion in the 1980s or so, because the guy we bought our current house from installed six of them. Two lead out to the rear garden, one to the conservatory and three lead out to terraces.

Of these six, I have had to completely replace one, and have abandoned using another one (to the garden - luckily we have an alternate means of egress). A third one is a pig to close and lock, but there is a "knack" that I learned by trial and error.

They are great when they are working. In our case the failures are due to settlement of the building. Over time there are small movements in a house, particularly if you live on a hill. And even a small movement can alter the alignment of sliding doors, causing them to stick or jam.

Anyway the one I replaced cost me 3 grand, and it was one of the smaller ones. It's quite a big job as you first have to level everything and put in new tracks. It's not just a matter of replacing like for like. And I suspect the landlord knows this is an expensive job and of course would prefer not to do it,

May I ask - are these doors the only way to access your garden and terrace? If so and they are unusable, then you are effectively being deprived of your right to quiet enjoyment of that garden and terrace. That is definitely a decrease in housing services which is grounds to take legal action.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 5th, 2022, 8:30 am

I would contact the agency in writing to start getting things recorded. As it's the landlords first tenancy he might be tight on funds and needs the rent to fix etc.

At least if it's reported, if no action is taken in a reasonable time frame you might have some recourse to withholding the rent to effect repairs.

The landlord might be on holiday so didn't know there was an issue. He will have to speak with the agent so their reply, in writing might also support your case.

Maybe there is a secret way of closing the doors that mother can show you but I'd suggest videoing it just in case its unreasonably difficult.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 5th, 2022, 11:03 am

Not quite the same situation, but I wonder if Local Authority enforcement might be persuaded to take an interest? I think their concern is hazards, but burglary is quite a hazard if you can't close a door!

Place I used to rent. When a section of ceiling of the garage came down, I reported to the agent, they weren't interested. I reported to the council, they sent someone around to look. He said it was marginal (it was only plaster that had fallen - which wasn't much consolation to my bike chain but meant it was unlikely to kill me), but wrote officially to them. That had the effect of getting it fixed.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 5th, 2022, 12:10 pm

The landlord has a responsibility to maintain the fabric of the property.

You could always look for alternative rental and give notice. You might have signed a 1 year AST but if the landlord has failed to make the property secure I threaten to terminate the agreement prematurely on these grounds. Will they want to go to all the hassle and cost of finding a new tenant?

First contact the landlord or their agent.

If the landlord does not respond regarding security issues, call the council. They will come and have a look inform the landlord to make improvements or THEY will and he will receive the bill.

Under no circumstances, withhold rent or any part thereof.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”