Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Selling property - communication

including wills and probate
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Selling property - communication

Postby Sunnypad » July 4th, 2023, 5:43 pm

Hi all
Asking here for a quicker answer than I'd get from my solicitor

I'm selling a leasehold flat with a management company, who send out the pack to the buyer's solicitor.

Firstly, is it not automatic that I should get a copy of this pack, given that I've paid for it?

Secondly, re queries raised on the information given - shouldn't they be sent to the management company rather than to me?

Thank you.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Selling property - communication

Postby DrFfybes » July 4th, 2023, 5:56 pm

I never got a copy from the manglement company when selling mum's flat.

Any queries from the buyer will generally go through the solicitors and back to you, and their contract is with you rather than the managers, and the solicitors can record the correspondence so it cannot later be queried.

Paul

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » July 4th, 2023, 6:50 pm

Thanks Paul
"Manglement" - Freudian slip? :lol:

Everything should go via the solicitor but my solicitor has forwarded me some queries which I believe he should look into.

That said - I don't want to hold up the sale.

Slightly unsure if he has just casually forwarded queries without thinking.

ETA i mean, if the answers aren't in the pack, shouldn't he contact the mgmt co to get them?

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » July 4th, 2023, 6:55 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Hi all
Asking here for a quicker answer than I'd get from my solicitor

I'm selling a leasehold flat with a management company, who send out the pack to the buyer's solicitor.

Firstly, is it not automatic that I should get a copy of this pack, given that I've paid for it?

Secondly, re queries raised on the information given - shouldn't they be sent to the management company rather than to me?

Thank you.

When you say "pack", I may be wrong but my understanding is that the buyer's solicitor requests certain information from the Management Co who respond to the queries though they may proactively compile information which they know will be requested. But why would you want to be involved in that process beyond knowing that the Management Co. are cooperating with your solicitor?

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » July 5th, 2023, 12:49 am

Dicky
My solicitor has sent the buyer's queries on the mgmt pack to me. I thought I was paying him to get answers from the mgmt co?

I don't want to make a fool of myself if that's not how it's meant to be.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 5th, 2023, 6:00 am

"Pack"? Are you referring to the LPE1, https://www.lease-advice.org/files/2022/01/LPE1-form.pdf?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 5th, 2023, 6:01 am

If your solicitor sends questions to the management company it'll take a few weeks to receive the answers back. Sending them to you will save time and result in a quicker completion.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » July 5th, 2023, 8:27 am

richlist wrote:If your solicitor sends questions to the management company it'll take a few weeks to receive the answers back. Sending them to you will save time and result in a quicker completion.

Yes, that may be all there is to it.

Mc2fool - it's a staffed building so LPE1 + a lot of other stuff.

Thank you all.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 5th, 2023, 9:13 am

Sunnypad wrote:Mc2fool - it's a staffed building so LPE1 + a lot of other stuff.

Well, in my experience, as a director of the management company of my collectively enfranchised block of flats who has now provided the LPE1s for the last three sales in the block, it is the seller's solicitor who contacts us and requests the LPE1 plus supporting docs, and if the buyer (or their solicitor) has any questions they always come to us through the seller's solicitor. We've never known who the buyer's solicitor is until they send us the Notice of Assignment (Transfer) on the completion date.

Re is it not automatic that I should get a copy of this pack, given that I've paid for it? Well it is with us, I always copy the seller on all communications with their solicitor, including the LPE1. We don't charge for it though....

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » July 6th, 2023, 6:44 am

You also have to remember that the management company will ask for payment up front before they provide anything. This means they have no incentive to act quickly.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”