Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Registration of birth - mum's surname

including wills and probate
Gwynee

Registration of birth - mum's surname

Postby Gwynee » July 25th, 2023, 10:03 am

Not sure if this should be Legal or DAK, so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

My daughter got married last year and is expecting her first child in a few weeks. She hasn't yet got around to officially changing her name to that of her husband, although she does intend to.

When they register the birth will she have to have her maiden name on the birth certificate, or can she present her marriage certificate and use her married name?

I've looked on the gov.uk website but can't see any guidance on this.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Registration of birth - mum's surname

Postby mc2fool » July 25th, 2023, 10:59 am

Gwynee wrote:Not sure if this should be Legal or DAK, so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

My daughter got married last year and is expecting her first child in a few weeks. She hasn't yet got around to officially changing her name to that of her husband, although she does intend to.

When they register the birth will she have to have her maiden name on the birth certificate, or can she present her marriage certificate and use her married name?

I've looked on the gov.uk website but can't see any guidance on this.

AIUI she can start using the name of her husband immediately once married, there's nothing "official" required to do that beyond the marriage itself. Of course, she will need to contact each and every organisation and company that she wants to change her name with....

"1. You’re taking your spouse’s last name and giving up your own

This is the most straightforward option when it comes to paperwork.

You don’t need any additional new documents besides your marriage certificate. You can use your marriage certificate to update your name on official documents as long as it includes the following information:

Your maiden name
Your spouse’s last name that you’re changing to

You can use the marriage certificate to update your passport, driving license, and other official documents (more below).
"
https://www.ukdeedpolloffice.org/changing-your-name-after-marriage/

And in any case, the birth certificate asks for both surname and maiden name, so she'll need to put down both.

Gwynee

Postby Gwynee » July 25th, 2023, 11:22 am

Thanks for that info, I'll pass it on. :)

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 26th, 2023, 12:08 pm

Yes, in effect you get a "free" change of name with a marriage certificate. Provide you either adopt hubbies surname or double barrel it.
The marriage certificate is the only evidence required for this. There is no need to officially change anything.

Of course many women continue to use their maiden name, and there is no problem with this either.

She could even have a different name on her driving licence and passport (the two most common forms of ID) if she wants, and/or have bank accounts in both names. There's no legal problem using both names in different places. Unless to commit fraud, for example, by claiming 2 tax allowances.

Gryff

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 26th, 2023, 12:41 pm

gryffron wrote:Yes, in effect you get a "free" change of name with a marriage certificate. Provide you either adopt hubbies surname or double barrel it.
The marriage certificate is the only evidence required for this. There is no need to officially change anything.

Of course many women continue to use their maiden name, and there is no problem with this either.

She could even have a different name on her driving licence and passport (the two most common forms of ID) if she wants, and/or have bank accounts in both names. There's no legal problem using both names in different places. Unless to commit fraud, for example, by claiming 2 tax allowances.

Gryff

Would the same apply if a man were to take his wife's name? I expect he'd have a harder job convincing officialdom he wasn't up to no good, but is it the same at least in principle?

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » July 26th, 2023, 12:47 pm

A 40-years-UK-resident Austrian friend wanted to use her maiden name when she renewed her Austrian passport. She was told by the Austrian authorities that this wasn't possible and she MUST use her husband's surname.
How patronising.

Unlike Germans, Austrians cannot have dual nationality so she would have otherwise needed to rescind her Austrian nationality.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 26th, 2023, 1:10 pm

gryffron wrote:She could even have a different name on her driving licence and passport (the two most common forms of ID) if she wants, and/or have bank accounts in both names. There's no legal problem using both names in different places. Unless to commit fraud, for example, by claiming 2 tax allowances.

My wife sometimes has problems when she travels because she goes by her middle name but official documents list her first name instead. A bit of care prevents any issue but it is something to think about if you regularly alternate between two different names, I would think.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 26th, 2023, 2:00 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
gryffron wrote:Yes, in effect you get a "free" change of name with a marriage certificate. Provide you either adopt hubbies surname or double barrel it.
Would the same apply if a man were to take his wife's name? I expect he'd have a harder job convincing officialdom he wasn't up to no good, but is it the same at least in principle?

Yes, (in principle) same rules now apply to men marrying women, and same sex couples.

e.g. https://deedpolloffice.com/advice/man-getting-married
Though I agree it is probably harder to convince officialdom. Indeed, the linked article makes this point too.

My Dad's mate (a Mr Smith) took his wife's name when he married. That was 50ish years ago. Sure he had to use deed poll back then.

Gryff

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 26th, 2023, 2:20 pm

gryffron wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Would the same apply if a man were to take his wife's name? I expect he'd have a harder job convincing officialdom he wasn't up to no good, but is it the same at least in principle?

Yes, (in principle) same rules now apply to men marrying women, and same sex couples.

e.g. https://deedpolloffice.com/advice/man-getting-married
Though I agree it is probably harder to convince officialdom. Indeed, the linked article makes this point too.

My Dad's mate (a Mr Smith) took his wife's name when he married. That was 50ish years ago. Sure he had to use deed poll back then.

Gryff

Once upon a time (mid/late 1980s - I forget exactly) I knew a young lady with a rare surname. She was very definite: her children should carry her surname so it wouldn't die out! Which raised the hypothetical question ...

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”