Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Credit hire (again)

including wills and probate
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Credit hire (again)

Postby Clitheroekid » August 11th, 2023, 12:36 pm

I must apologise for banging my drum yet again about the institutionalised fraud that is credit hire, but it really does infuriate me.

The latest case popped into my inbox earlier, though it wasn't even specifically about credit hire. It concerned fraud in personal injury claims, which is also institutionalised, and the only question was whether the fraud was sufficient for the court to deny the claim in its entirety (the concept of `fundamental dishonesty').

In this case the original judge decided it was, and dismissed the claim, but on appeal the judge decided it was only a bit fraudulent, so reversed the decision, minor fraud apparently being considered perfectly acceptable - https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/KB/2023/2077.html

But what caught my eye was, yet again, the claim for credit hire charges. The damaged car was a clapped out Skoda, valued at £3,700, but the claim for credit hire, for a period of 305 days (why?) was £47,580! :shock:

And even more astonishing, this claim was found by the judge to be reasonable, so he allowed it in full.

One other aspect that I noticed was the claim for storing the car, no doubt in some back street garage - £7,200. Although the judge reduced this to £672 even that works out at £24 a day, or £168 a week.

The Government has made great play about how it has (albeit about 20 years too late) clamped down on whiplash claims, but people can't understand why this hasn't been reflected in lower premiums. Perhaps this is the answer.

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Re: Credit hire (again)

Postby Paultry » August 14th, 2023, 2:31 pm

Some years ago I was in Leek Wetherspoons sitting by the window overlooking the main road from Macclesfield whilst having lunch.

Right before my very eyes (we were a group of four) we witnessed two cars collide, one coming slowly from a side road. All occupants jumped out and looked at the superficial damage and all parties appeared fit and well.

One of them then appeared to make a phone call and immediately waved to the two other members of his party, whereupon they all lay on the pavement writhing and appearing to be in indescribable pain.

An ambulance duly arrived and the paramedics checked each individual over. They all miraculously recovered but were required to sit in some sort of brace or low chair for ten minutes. After a while they were able to stand and all parties drove away.

We were in stitches, it could not have been done better with first class actors, pity is we failed to film it and send it in for a comedy award.

I guess the performance was for the benefit of being able to claim some sort of injury compensation.

Paul

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Credit hire (again)

Postby melonfool » August 21st, 2023, 3:31 pm

I don't think £24 a day to store a car is unreasonable, I'm sure when my mum had her car crash about twenty years ago we paid more than that.

The rest....well....yes...it's all nonsense!

Mel

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”