Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

POA activation, when ?

including wills and probate
newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Re: POA activation, when ?

Postby newlyretired » November 9th, 2023, 5:08 pm

quelquod wrote:Probably not relevant here but I recently urgently needed to get a signed PoA registered with the Scottish Public Guardian. My solicitor fast tracked it (there is a procedure for that) - it took under a fortnight!

I think that the 4 week period for objections to be received means that this couldn't happen with LPAs in England.

newlyretired

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » November 9th, 2023, 6:45 pm

Thank you so very much to everyone who has replied at least we know . I will leave it as it is . Robert

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » December 28th, 2023, 1:37 pm

An update on my original question in regards POA . My mother in law died on the 31st October , my wife closed her Halifax current account and savings account on the 3rd November . She filled in the "TELL US ONCE " on the Government website . She phoned the POA phone line and also emailed them asking to cancel the POA. It seems one hand does not know what the other is doing , probably a waste of time really . The cheque was cashed for the POA on 21st November . She phoned them again and to be honest I don`t expect a refund . On another note she phoned Yorkshire Water for a final bill where they said over the phone that the final bill was approximately £50 . Her mum water on a meter and when the bill was received my wife was quite happy to pay , but I noticed that this Final bill reading was estimated , in fact the previous 2 readings were estimated . I told her not to pay until we had gone and read the meter ourselves . It turned out that she had used less and her actual bill was more £35 , so after ringing YW they sent another Final bill with our reading . Saved a little bit for her . She phoned Scottish Power to inform them of her mothers death etc and they owed her mum £354 . So they sent the wife a cheque to our address with the amount owed payable to her mum ? . She had told the power company that her mother had died and her bank account closed so was this on purpose ? When she rang to tell them they told her that because the money owed by them was more than £350 they could not simply pay it into the wife`s bank account by bank transfer and they would send her a cheque in her name . Its funny really because the repayment cheque in her mums name arrived a day or so after first informing them . Still waiting for cheque .

Gilgongo
Lemon Slice

Postby Gilgongo » December 29th, 2023, 8:58 am

SPURLEY wrote:The cheque was cashed for the POA on 21st November . She phoned them again and to be honest I don`t expect a refund.

I applied for an LPA for my Dad, but he died before they could register it. I got a refund quite quickly though - I emailed them on donor.deceased@publicguardian.gov.uk with the LPA reference number to tell them, and I think (can't now remember) I also sent them the death certificate but that might not have been needed.

Sorry about your mother-in-law's death. Although of course it's not to do with power of attorney, but I recall how each utility, bank, company, etc. seemed to have some different way of handling the bereavement process with bills and accounts and whatnot. Almost like death was some kind of extraordinary event that hardly ever happens.

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » December 31st, 2023, 9:33 am

Gilgongo -- Thank you for your reply we will look into that .

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » January 3rd, 2024, 8:16 pm

Another update off topic to the POA question though . My wife informed Scottish Power of her mums passing and closing her Bank account. They sent her a cheque for the amount owing her mum but the cheque was sent payable to her . She phoned Scottish Power who then sent her a cheque made payable to the wife . The wife put the cheque into her account at a Post Office on the 30th December but on looking at her Bank Account today the cheque has been declined by Scottish Power ????? Can anyone give us an idea why ?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 4th, 2024, 8:23 am

SPURLEY wrote:Another update off topic to the POA question though . My wife informed Scottish Power of her mums passing and closing her Bank account. They sent her a cheque for the amount owing her mum but the cheque was sent payable to her . She phoned Scottish Power who then sent her a cheque made payable to the wife . The wife put the cheque into her account at a Post Office on the 30th December but on looking at her Bank Account today the cheque has been declined by Scottish Power ????? Can anyone give us an idea why ?

Sounds like they cocked up and cancelled the second cheque instead of the first.

Scott.

SPURLEY
2 Lemon pips

Postby SPURLEY » January 4th, 2024, 10:44 am

Thanks Scott I hope so . The wife has phoned them this morning . It was only yesterday morning that I actually tore up the first cheque payable to her mum as I thought everything was now sorted . It was last night while checking her Bank account that she noticed that her cheque had been declined , then her panic to re assemble the letter that was torn up in the bin with the attached cheque to get her mums Scottish Power account number . What a pain.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”