Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Inheritance and Anti-Money Laundering

including wills and probate
Tri2000

Inheritance and Anti-Money Laundering

Postby Tri2000 » December 9th, 2023, 3:10 pm

My daughters (20 and 22) have received notification by registered post that they have been each left £1000 by a relative. Before they can receive their cheques they must prove their identities. This can be by attending the solicitor’s office in person with the required ID or sending certified copies of ID.
The solicitor is located over 2hr drive away so it is not convenient to go there, and my knowledge of solicitors makes me think going to a local one to get ID certified will cost them (I haven’t checked this). The letter clearly says original documents must not be sent by post.
The relative was well known to the solicitor who is dealing with the probate and I doubt he would be under any kind of terrorist suspicion. For larger sums I would understand but it seems a bit unfair they must either take a day off work or pay someone local to photocopy their passports and put a stamp on it.
My question is, for a relatively small amount do AML regs still apply? Is it black and white in all cases or could a risk assessment be made and a cheque sent?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Inheritance and Anti-Money Laundering

Postby kiloran » December 9th, 2023, 3:21 pm

I need to verify my existence and identity every year and use the local Justice of the Peace, which is a free service (or at least my local JP is free).

During covid when the JP wasn't operating, a local Notary Public charged me £40

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 9th, 2023, 3:59 pm

A certified copy is something your post office can do for you, for a fee of a few quid (under a tenner).

Surely the AML is a red herring: the solicitor is just going OTT about paying the right recipient, not an imposter?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 9th, 2023, 4:51 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:A certified copy is something your post office can do for you, for a fee of a few quid (under a tenner).

It's been £12.75 for certifying up to 3 copies since at least mid 2019 (as far back as the internet archive goes for that page ;)).

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/document-certification
https://web.archive.org/web/20190721111856/https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/document-certification

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » December 10th, 2023, 8:55 am

everywhere is different, but many places requiring ID will accept a certified copy signed by an accountant (HA Ha)
or other local qualified person..doctor etc etc

worth checcking?

of course a solicitor might not as will likely seek to get more business into colleagues

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » December 10th, 2023, 9:50 am

When I was a JP I’d do this for people and it was generally accepted but I’m going back nearly 20 years.

Best wishes, Steve

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 10th, 2023, 5:16 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:everywhere is different, but many places requiring ID will accept a certified copy signed by an accountant (HA Ha)
or other local qualified person..doctor etc etc

worth checcking?

of course a solicitor might not as will likely seek to get more business into colleagues

When I worked for the Medical Research Council, we had a small medical centre on site, and the nurse used to sign my copies and put the official MRC stamp on it, followed by a date stamp. One day when she wasn't there, I took the stamps from the desk, stamped my docs and scribbled an unreadable signature. I reckon the person at the other end only wants to see this. You can buy cheap print stamps on Amazon.

Steve

PS Although you are the one certifying it, as long as it IS a true copy, so I don't see how you could get into trouble. Last famous words?

Steve (Cell no.5, Dartmoor) 8-)

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”