Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Bare trust and school fees

including wills and probate
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Bare trust and school fees

Postby bungeejumper » March 14th, 2024, 10:32 am

Apologies for the naive question, but I'm a newbie in this area. I have a bare trust from HL for my granddaughter, which I set up about seven years ago, and I need to use part of it in order to pay some of her school fees.

Can I get HL to make the transfer directly to the school's bank account? Or do I transfer the money into my own bank account and then pay it onward to the school? And in the latter case, how do I explain the situation to the money laundering bods at my bank? (I've also read something about needing to record it on my self-assessment form as well.)

Muchas gracias

BJ

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bare trust and school fees

Postby scrumpyjack » March 14th, 2024, 12:01 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Apologies for the naive question, but I'm a newbie in this area. I have a bare trust from HL for my granddaughter, which I set up about seven years ago, and I need to use part of it in order to pay some of her school fees.

Can I get HL to make the transfer directly to the school's bank account? Or do I transfer the money into my own bank account and then pay it onward to the school? And in the latter case, how do I explain the situation to the money laundering bods at my bank? (I've also read something about needing to record it on my self-assessment form as well.)

Muchas gracias

BJ

You just withdraw the money to your bank account and then pay the fees yourself.
You don't need to report it in any way.

The issue of making a note on your tax return would only arise if, for example, you had sold shares in your name of which the beneficial owner was someone else (eg grandchild or estate where you are the executor). Then it is sensible to note on your return that shares were sold but not reported because you were not the beneficial owner.

I have a similar situation where I will be withdrawing money from my grandchildren's bare trust accounts with HL and then using it to fund their Junior ISA subs.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”