Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

will query

including wills and probate
hermit100
Lemon Pip

will query

Postby hermit100 » November 12th, 2016, 4:29 pm

As some on LF will know, I run a small hedgehog rehab. at home which at the moment I fund more or less completely from my own money (bar a few small donations from people who bring me hedgehogs).

My will currently states that all the hedgehog stuff should go to [a named other hedgehog rescue] to use or pass on as they see fit.

I will be increasing my fundraising activities and am about to get the hog rehab listed with HMRC as a small charity for tax purposes. Under the 'winding up' part of its constitution it is stated that if the charity is wound up all money and property it holds are to be given to another charity with similar aims. Therefore what it says in my will is fine in a sense but I presume that once I have the small charity thing going all the property is no longer 'mine' but belongs to the charity so should I (a) just take it all out of my will altogether, (b) put a statement in my will that this stuff is not mine, thus not part of my estate and that action must be taken as per the charity constitution (c) leave it as it is or (d) something else?

Thanks.

Hermit.

rgifford

Re: will query

Postby rgifford » November 12th, 2016, 4:41 pm

Leave your will as it is.

When you die, if there isn't anything to pass on there is nothing lost. I'm sure there are lots of wills bequeathing specific items which are no longer owned at time of death.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 12th, 2016, 4:47 pm

hermit100 wrote:(d) something else?

I'd place a letter with your Will, addressed to your Executors, explaining that all Hedgehog related stuff now belongs to the new charity (if that is the case) and provide the charity trustees' contact details.

PD

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 12th, 2016, 8:19 pm

I would agree that it's not worth altering your Will. It will be perfectly obvious to those administering your estate what's happened, and it won't affect the administration.

hermit100
Lemon Pip

Postby hermit100 » November 13th, 2016, 11:07 am

OK, thanks all. I'll leave the will as is and will have a word with my executor just so she knows the score.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 15th, 2016, 12:41 am

hermit100 wrote:OK, thanks all. I'll leave the will as is and will have a word with my executor just so she knows the score.

No problem about doing that, but I would also take PinkDalek's advice and leave a letter with your will, addressed to your personal representatives, as a safeguard against memories of your word with the executor fading, or your executor being unable to act and someone else having to administer your estate.

Gengulphus

hermit100
Lemon Pip

Postby hermit100 » November 16th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Indeed yes, I shall do that too. Cheers.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”