Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Speeding question

including wills and probate
valueinvestor123
Lemon Pip

Speeding question

Postby valueinvestor123 » June 15th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Just a quick question regarding this as this is my first.
I received a "Notice of Intended Prosecution" for (I think) speeding and/or red light. Could I get some advice for someone with experience on how best to handle this?

The letter reads:
"Under section......we intend to take proceedings against the driver of the following motor vehicle....for the alleged offence of: Speeding - exceed 30 mph on restricted road - automatic camera device. The vehicle was recorded at......at a speed of 42mph where the above alleged offence is for excess speed. When 0 mph is recorded you drove through a traffic light 0 seconds after it turned to red (this is the bit a I don't understand. How can I be driving through red light 0 seconds after it turns red?)
This allegation can be supported by photographic evidence etc etc....you must provide the info we ask for on the back of this form within 28 days. If you do not provide....you could be fined £1000, receive 6 penalty points, or be disqualified...."
Your legal obligations:
- only fill this form in if you are the person it is addressed to (it's addressed to my wife but I was the person driving it. I am a named driver).
- please return filled-in and signed doc to the address above
- If you were the driver at the time of the alleged offence, please fill in and sign Part 1 over on the page
- if you provide this info on time, you may be able to take an educational course instead of paying a fine and having penalty points on your licence. Available for a limited time frame only.
- if you were not the driver of the vehicle at the time, you must give us any info you have which could id the driver. Fill in and sign part 2, 3 as appropriate. (I guess that's the part to fill in?"

I don't want to mess it up and wanted to find out what the likely outcome might be? (I have no previous points or any incidents or accidents etc) for this type of offence?
I was driving in the middle of the night and thought wrongly it was a 40mp zone. In any case, I do remember being flashed. i can't figure out if they are referring to two offences (speeding AND red light) or just the speeding and what "0 seconds after it turned red". Also how I can increase the chance for taking that course rather than paying large fines/points etc. Any advice would be appreciated!
thanks and yikes. vi123

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Speeding question

Postby swill453 » June 15th, 2017, 2:14 pm

Seems to me since it's addressed to your wife, then she should fill it in and name you as the driver.

Regarding the red light bit, it looks to me like it's a badly designed form, and where it says "When 0 mph is recorded", you just ignore the rest of the sentence since for you, 42mph is recorded.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 15th, 2017, 2:32 pm

swill453 wrote:...

Regarding the red light bit, it looks to me like it's a badly designed form, and where it says "When 0 mph is recorded", you just ignore the rest of the sentence since for you, 42mph is recorded.

Scott.

I'm not so sure but what we've seen so far is ambiguous.

A couple of links which mention the 0mph and red lights might clarify but probably best for the OP to obtain the photographs:

http://www.pepipoo.com/forums/lofiversi ... 55227.html
http://www.justanswer.com/uk-traffic-la ... ation.html

valueinvestor123
Lemon Pip

Postby valueinvestor123 » June 15th, 2017, 2:53 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
swill453 wrote:...

Scott.

I'm not so sure but what we've seen so far is ambiguous.

A couple of links which mention the 0mph and red lights might clarify but probably best for the OP to obtain the photographs:

http://www.pepipoo.com/forums/lofiversi ... 55227.html
http://www.justanswer.com/uk-traffic-la ... ation.html

Ha, those are exactly the two links I read before I posted here as well. i am not sure they explain it though. How does one request photographs? I am pretty sure I am in the wrong as far as speeding is concerned and as far as red light is concerned, they may not even be levying this offence on me and it's perhaps their standardised way of saying that I didn't go over a red light?

valueinvestor123
Lemon Pip

Postby valueinvestor123 » June 15th, 2017, 2:56 pm

PS: Actually I am surprised they don't send photographic evidence by default. I have seen these things in Germany and they always include photographs/evidence when they allege you with anything (e.g. my mother doing makeup with one hand while on the phone with the other hand and speeding through red lights :-) ok not quite. and I shouldn't be joking about it. It's bloody dangerous.)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 15th, 2017, 3:52 pm

obviously I haventl seen the letter but that 0mph stuff seems to me to be included by default, as the letter is clearly a template where "42" vis just enetered in your case.

fopr somebody else it may 0. And the templated letter just explains that.

yes, its far too cludgy.

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 15th, 2017, 3:57 pm

valueinvestor123 wrote:Ha, those are exactly the two links I read before I posted here as well.

I don't think you mentioned having looked elsewhere (it does help to provide links to what you've already seen, not least to save others the time). ;)

How does one request photographs?

It might depend on the authority concerned but my fairly recent NIP contained the images. I think you need to reply to the Request for Information then, once they know the driver was you, they'll probably include the image(s) and all will become clearer (although, as you've seen, the images may need a magnifying glass etc).

I am pretty sure I am in the wrong as far as speeding is concerned and as far as red light is concerned, they may not even be levying this offence on me and it's perhaps their standardised way of saying that I didn't go over a red light?

Yes, as Scott suggested, it may well be a poorly designed/completed form.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 15th, 2017, 4:05 pm

Returning to your OP:

valueinvestor123 wrote:... Speeding - exceed 30 mph on restricted road - automatic camera device. The vehicle was recorded at......at a speed of 42mph where the above alleged offence is for excess speed. ... Also how I can increase the chance for taking that course rather than paying large fines/points etc. Any advice would be appreciated!
thanks and yikes. vi123

Looks like your excessive speed may be on the limit and note the other conditions (assuming you haven't already read this):

https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread. ... post131373

I'm not sure you can improve your chances of being offered the course but they may offer one, once they know the driver. Note also the comments about Scotland in case of relevance.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » June 16th, 2017, 11:54 am

I was driving in the middle of the night and thought wrongly it was a 40mp zone.

Yet you were driving at 42 mph!

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”