Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Neptunia

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Eboli
Lemon Slice

Neptunia

Postby Eboli » August 10th, 2022, 7:24 pm

I'm a gin drinker but I tend to stick to the basic London gins with Juniper/citrus flavours. My go to Sunday gin is Tanqueray 10 with Fevertree light natural tonic. I'm happy with ordinary Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire during the week (same mixer) and I'm not turning my nose up at Gordons (which was what I and many other were brought up on - though it's a shame you can't get the 47.3% export strength stuff now in the yellow/cream bottles). What I tend not to like are the plethora of flavoured gins in various colours that all taste somewhat chemical. But a close friend bought me a bottle of Hendricks Neptunia gin thinking it was my birthday (right date wrong month) and confiding that it was £5 off (or thereabouts) at Sainsbury's. He advised consuming with Fevertree cucumber tonic. Well the bottle lasted the weekend. Really superb and the first 'flavoured' gin I've really enjoyed. So I bought another bottle...

This made me wonder whether my tendency to gin conservatism was excluding other beauties. So are there any of you who like their gin on the traditional side who have a secret tipple of something more exotic to recommend?

Eb.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Re: Neptunia

Postby WrenChasen » August 11th, 2022, 10:09 am

Tarquins - I'm currently enjoying their blackberry gin, and eagerly anticipating the sloe season this year because theirs is superb.

https://www.tarquinsgin.com/about-us/our-ethos/

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 11th, 2022, 3:59 pm

I have tried two of the flavoured Gins at friends' houses the Beefeaters Blood Orange and Gordon's Scillian Lemon - nope, not for me.
An aged relative offered Whitley Neill Parma Violet - again I am not the target audience.
I made my own rhubarb gin with home grown rhubarb and cooking supermarket gin, I drank a few glasess of gin to make room and squeezed a slim rhubarb stak into the bottle, did it just for fun it was OK.
I like the export strenghth Tanquery, Ableforths Navy strength Bathtub was madness at 50odd%, I usually have either Tanquery or Bombay regular and use the light Fevertree, occasionally I do add a splash of bitters.
I tried cucumber tonic and again I'm too much apurist.
Perhaps I'll add Hendricks Neptunia gin to my mental watch list and wait for it to be on spesh at Morrisons.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 12th, 2022, 10:28 am

kempiejon wrote:I have tried two of the flavoured Gins at friends' houses the Beefeaters Blood Orange and Gordon's Scillian Lemon - nope, not for me.

My thoughts too. As with for example adulterated cheeses ("stilton and apricot", etc) I'd rather buy the honest product and mix my own. Besides, gin is basically an ingredient - even in the simple G&T - rather than a final product.

Someone once gave me a bottle of sweet lemon gin labelled "limoncello". Given that limoncello is an entirely different (and delicious) drink, that seemed to me like a rather serious Trades Descriptions violation. In terms of flavour, this was probably in the same ballpark as the ones you mention.

OTOH, the OP describes his new-found love of a particular flavoured gin as a surprise and an exception - maybe some of them are really nice?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 11th, 2022, 2:10 pm

Circling back to this topic, shopping today I mis-remembered the worth a try gin and came back with some Bombay Sapphire Sunset special edition. It's a pleasing 43% abv, has added cardamom, turmeric and mandarin peel - subtle like any other of the botanicals, not really a flavoured gin.
Neat over ice it's a bit too hot at 43% so I let the cubes melt a bit, I liked the mandarin notes. Didn't have any tonic to try it with but made a tasty 5:1 Martini with dry vermouth, no bitters nor citrus, just ice to serve, stirred not shaken, the mandarin coming through in the blend.

Dbeckwith

Postby Dbeckwith » September 11th, 2022, 5:11 pm

I also like a good old fashioned ‘normal’ G&T. However, I would recommend trying the Ophir brand gin which has a distinctive peppery taste and also, a recent discovery, the Tanquerry Rangpur lime, very zesty without overpowering the gin.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » September 13th, 2022, 7:02 pm

Dbeckwith said:

would recommend trying the Ophir brand gin which has a distinctive peppery taste and also, a recent discovery, the Tanquerry Rangpur lime, very zesty without overpowering the gin.

Thanks. I've drunk both. I think Tanqueray Rangpur is definitely the best of the 'flavoured' Tanquerays I've tried (Sevilla, Royale and Malacca are the others and there's another flavoured with Lovage that is elusive to find) and lends itself to a fine gimlet and an even better Last Word (one of my favourite cocktails).

I also like Opihr, though it seems to be an acquired taste. The normal red bottle makes a wonderful Bloody Mary (renamed a Red Snapper when made with gin I understand) that I would recommend to all. But if you like Rangpur your should also like the version of Opihr made with Persian Black Lemons and that too makes a great Last Word.

Curiously you mention the only two 'flavoured' gins that I would keep in the cabinet for specific cocktails.

Eb.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » September 13th, 2022, 7:06 pm

kemplejon,

Almost on queue I was given a bottle of Bombay Sapphire Sunset by a visitor a couple of nights ago. I was goaded into making a G&T with it and was underwhelmed despite the enthusiastic comments coming from the donor. So I'm glad for the tip of trying it as a dry Martini. Thanks, I'll report further

Eb

Return to “Drink”