Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pub Recommendations for Liverpool and Manchester

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Pub Recommendations for Liverpool and Manchester

Postby JMN2 » March 31st, 2018, 11:36 am

I will check out Rate Beer's lists and map out 5-10 best rated pubs per city but any personal and inside tips are welcome. Thanks.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Pub Recommendations for Liverpool and Manchester

Postby swill453 » March 31st, 2018, 11:58 am

The Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool is well worth a visit for its decor (and beer). The Dispensary just down the road is fine too.

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 31st, 2018, 1:57 pm

Marble brewery in Manc has a good reputation, although I haven't tried their beers. Pub is the Marble Arch Rochdale Rd, and they have a coup!e of other bars

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 31st, 2018, 2:05 pm

swill453 wrote:The Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool is well worth a visit for its decor (and beer).

Seconded, and make a point of visiting the men's loo at the Phil. It's a work of art.

IShouldCoco

Postby IShouldCoco » April 9th, 2018, 3:50 pm

I'll 'third' the Philharmonic Dinimg Rooms, but mainly for the decor, especially in the Gents. The beer was okay but service a bit slow and their may be some laurel resting going on, as it is very well known.

We also enjoyed the historic Baltic Fleet, down near Albert Dock.
https://www.balticfleetpubliverpool.com ... -room.html

Liverpool suffered in the blitz but Adolf spent some time there before the First World War and obviously told the Luftwaffe to go easy on the pubs. There are plenty of lovely old fashioned boozers all around the edges of the city centre and we had a great weekend.

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Postby Imbiber » April 9th, 2018, 5:12 pm

For Manchester, Marble Arch is a must, food is also good here. The Port Street Beer House, usually a stunning choice here but very busy( closed on Mondays ). Cask at the top of Liverpool road is worth a look, especially if you like Belgian beer. The Knott is interesting although I have not been there since the makeover. Also the Britains Protection.

Liverpool

Ship and Mitre, Roscoe Head, possibly still one of the Magnificent seven? The Baltic Fleet if you are in the area.

It has been a couple of years since I have been to any of these, before retirement I would be to both cities about 6 times a year.

A good unbiased source of information is here

http://pubsandbeer.co.uk/index.php?ID=H&H=B

I have not made any contributions for some time, although I was once a regular contributor

Cheers

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 7th, 2018, 10:52 am

swill453 wrote:The Philharmonic Dining Rooms in Liverpool is well worth a visit for its decor (and beer). The Dispensary just down the road is fine too.

Scott.

I can already taste my first two pints in The Dispensary and the next two in The Phil. Getting some gardening done today so tomorrow I should be properly parched.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 11th, 2018, 9:12 pm

JMN2 wrote:I can already taste my first two pints in The Dispensary and the next two in The Phil.

Did you catch the live music there? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... erformance

Scott.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » June 14th, 2018, 7:32 am

swill453 wrote:
JMN2 wrote:I can already taste my first two pints in The Dispensary and the next two in The Phil.

Did you catch the live music there? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... erformance

Scott.

I was a bit too early for that, popped in for a rubbish pint and service, they were guarding the equipment while roadies were carrying amps etc. Beer was vinegar, didn't even bother checking out the toilet.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 14th, 2018, 9:51 am

You might want to try the Circus Tavern (Portland St, Manchester).
I can't comment about the quality of the beer, it's ages since I have visited.

What is interesting is that it was not built as a "bar", but as a house in the times when a pub WAS a public house.
Ie when it first became a pub, it was during the time that the ale wife would bring you your beer and no provision was originally allowed for a "bar" to serve at. It now has the smallest bar that you are ever likely to see.

The roof garden at the Lower Turks head is also well worth a visit. Quite how they reconcile the morrocan theme of the decor with the history of the name is moot, but it works well.

Return to “Drink”