Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

GBBF 2018

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

GBBF 2018

Postby redsturgeon » August 6th, 2018, 10:15 am

It is with some excitement and a little trepidation that I contemplate the GBBF 2018 that I will be visiting tomorrow.

After last year I intend to take it a little easier in the hope that I will get back home unscathed.

I think I will stick to tasting a variety of beers in units of one third of a pint...absolutely no pints will be drunk.

I will try to taste beers from around the world that I would otherwise not be able to drink.

Wish me luck...

John

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Re: GBBF 2018

Postby GrandOiseau » August 6th, 2018, 12:59 pm

It's a great event. Enjoy... sensibly of course.

Clashes with my summer hols again this year. Well, technically I could go Tue or Wed but got work and packing to do.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 6th, 2018, 1:30 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
I think I will stick to tasting a variety of beers in units of one third of a pint...absolutely no pints will be drunk.

Yeah, good luck getting that past the missus...

"Yes dear, I know I was a little drunk, but I can't really understand it.......I didn't drink any pints at all, and chose instead to partake my refreshment using a series of small mouthfuls of the stuff.........."

;)

Have a good day John!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 7th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Champion beers list

Supreme Champion: Broken Dream Breakfast Stout from the Siren Brewery

Hell of a name and it appears, a hell of a beer!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 7th, 2018, 10:21 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:Champion beers list

Funnily enough, I had a pint of Captain Bob last weekend at the Green Man in Thriplow. It was a very nice pint of bitter but not the kind of thing a Hophead like me would normally drink and I was only doing so because the Milton Dionysus was out. Best news is that it was only £3.50 a pint which is some kind of record for anywhere within 10 miles of Cambridge in 2018!

BTW I like a good porter or stout, but I've never had one for breakfast. What the hell is a breakfast stout?

All the best, Si

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 7th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Good to see Salopian getting a few awards (and my current 'local' brewery Windsor and Eton picked one up too)

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 7th, 2018, 10:41 pm

simoan wrote:

Funnily enough, I had a pint of Captain Bob last weekend at the Green Man in Thriplow. It was a very nice pint of bitter but not the kind of thing a Hophead like me would normally drink and I was only doing so because the Milton Dionysus was out. Best news is that it was only £3.50 a pint which is some kind of record for anywhere within 10 miles of Cambridge in 2018!

BTW I like a good porter or stout, but I've never had one for breakfast. What the hell is a breakfast stout?

All the best, Si

Looks like Siren used this as inspiration. Though I still don't quite get why it's a breakfast beer, or if indeed it really is, cos I don't think anyone does - drink it for breakfast.

Actually it seems there are quite a few breakfast stouts (google it). How did I miss this!!!??

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 8th, 2018, 5:32 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Good to see Salopian getting a few awards (and my current 'local' brewery Windsor and Eton picked one up too)

Yep, if I had to choose one beer of that list it would be Darwin's Origin. Shame we don't see it much over this way but I enjoyed a good few pints when I was staying over in Church Stretton a couple of years ago.

All the best, Si

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 8th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Don't think I've ever been out in Church Stretton, although I've had a few pints up at the gliding club on the Mynd
Wood's, but tasted ok (must be the altitude) !

The Ragleth in Little Stretton was supposed to be good.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 8th, 2018, 11:59 pm

redsturgeon wrote:It is with some excitement and a little trepidation that I contemplate the GBBF 2018 that I will be visiting tomorrow.

After last year I intend to take it a little easier in the hope that I will get back home unscathed.

I will try to taste beers from around the world that I would otherwise not be able to drink.

Wish me luck...

John

Where's the report?

Are you alright John?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 9th, 2018, 6:18 am

I woke in a pool of sweat, my head was throbbing, the noise from the traffic outside was unbearably loud, any movement brought on waves of nausea and try as I might to fight off the inevitable, eventually I rushed to the bathroom to be sick...

It was Tuesday morning, the day of the GBBF and for the first time in my life I was experiencing a full blown migraine attack...I never made the beer festival!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

John

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 9th, 2018, 7:10 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Don't think I've ever been out in Church Stretton, although I've had a few pints up at the gliding club on the Mynd

I'm not sure Church Stretton is the kind of place you'd go to for a night out from what I remember :-)! It was very quiet midweek when I was there. I had a few Salopian beers including Darwins Origin at one of the pubs and in a bar/restaurant type place. Also got some Salopian bottles from the local Co-op. Nice place for the Arts & Crafts architecture and walks up Long Mynd but not worth going if you're looking for a crazy night out!

All the best, Si

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 9th, 2018, 8:57 am

redsturgeon wrote:I woke in a pool of sweat, my head was throbbing, the noise from the traffic outside was unbearably loud, any movement brought on waves of nausea and try as I might to fight off the inevitable, eventually I rushed to the bathroom to be sick...

It was Tuesday morning, the day of the GBBF and for the first time in my life I was experiencing a full blown migraine attack...I never made the beer festival!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

John

Oh booger, that's not good. Hope you are fully recovered!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 9th, 2018, 9:05 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I woke in a pool of sweat, my head was throbbing, the noise from the traffic outside was unbearably loud, any movement brought on waves of nausea and try as I might to fight off the inevitable, eventually I rushed to the bathroom to be sick...

John

Oh booger, that's not good. Hope you are fully recovered!

The annoying thing is that I was 100% by 4pm ...too late to go. Would much rather have had a hangover on Wednesday morning than the migraine on Tuesday though!

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 9th, 2018, 9:19 am

I really hate missing things I've been looking forward to due to illness. I amost missed a musical festival one year after being hit by a car.
I made it, but carrying a heavy pack and sleeping on a Karrimat are not much fun with loads of freshly-broken ribs...

Perhaps you couid do a smaller beer fest as a consolation? Plenty around these days.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 9th, 2018, 9:25 am

simoan wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Don't think I've ever been out in Church Stretton, although I've had a few pints up at the gliding club on the Mynd

I'm not sure Church Stretton is the kind of place you'd go to for a night out from what I remember :-)! It was very quiet midweek when I was there. I had a few Salopian beers including Darwins Origin at one of the pubs and in a bar/restaurant type place. Also got some Salopian bottles from the local Co-op. Nice place for the Arts & Crafts architecture and walks up Long Mynd but not worth going if you're looking for a crazy night out!

All the best, Si

I know Church Stretton very well, but usually visted Cardingmill and Ashes valleys during the day. Nice place once you are away from the A49. As a nevous passenger I never enjoyed the car journey up/down the Burway to the top of the Mynd. Down is worse as you're on the outside over the drop...

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 9th, 2018, 11:33 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I know Church Stretton very well, but usually visted Cardingmill and Ashes valleys during the day. Nice place once you are away from the A49. As a nevous passenger I never enjoyed the car journey up/down the Burway to the top of the Mynd. Down is worse as you're on the outside over the drop...

Yes, I remember the Burway well... We drove over to have a meal at The Bridges. I had a couple of pints from the Three Tuns brewery and my other half drove home but we came back by a different route :-)

All the best, Si

Return to “Drink”