Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Keep drinking!

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Keep drinking!

Postby jfgw » October 10th, 2018, 6:33 pm

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Keep drinking!

Postby monabri » November 11th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Poster girls for Diageo? It's enough to drive one to drink ( on a one way ticket).

Yours is the one on the left!

The glass of merlot I'm drinking ain't helping!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 12th, 2018, 9:13 am

Half of those women are men, surely? (All right, maybe only on Wednesdays, but who's counting?) :lol:

The poster is an interesting subject in its own right, because nobody seems to know where it came from. Some say it was a spoof that was cooked up by Thomas Edison some time around 1900, in order to protest at prohibition; others, however, point out (correctly) that (a) prohibition didn't start till 1919, and (b) Edison was a devout anti-alcohol campaigner. ;)

Back to the drawing board, then. The title was presumably drawn from a song from the 1870s:

"You are coming to woo me, but not as of yore,
When I hastened to welcome your ring at the door;
For I trusted that he who stood waiting me then,
Was the brightest, the truest, the noblest of men,
Your lips, on my own, when they printed "Farewell,"
Had never been soiled by the "beverage of hell;"
But they come to me now with the bacchanal sign,
And the lips that touch liquor must never touch mine."

Some wags have pointed out that there's a potential ambiguity in the final "mine". Does it mean "my lips" or "my liquor"?

Fab picture!

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 12th, 2018, 11:49 am

bungeejumper wrote:Half of those women are men, surely? (All right, maybe only on Wednesdays, but who's counting?) :lol:

Are you sure it's not all of them?
Back to the drawing board, then. The title was presumably drawn from a song from the 1870s:

Wow! Learn something new every day.

You just inspired me to look for a rendition on youtube, whereupon I found a womens choir singing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmfpm_y39Y to words that aren't at all what you posted - except of course for the punchline. Maybe there were once multiple verses?
Fab picture!

BJ

:)

p.s. re: your Edison puzzle. Surely it would be possible to be anti-drink but also anti-prohibition? Whether on grounds of liberty, or because prohibition was counterproductive and two wrongs don't make a right?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 12th, 2018, 12:24 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:You just inspired me to look for a rendition on youtube, whereupon I found a womens choir singing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSmfpm_y39Y to words that aren't at all what you posted - except of course for the punchline. Maybe there were once multiple verses?

I think there were many songs on this sort of theme, in many countries - but it's noticeable (to me) that rum seems to have been the enemy rather than beer. Probably because beer was still a safer drink than water in many places?

Here's one, also from 1874, which comes with a piano score. Maybe try it out on your local choir? I dare you. :lol: http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?co ... linkText=0

BJ

Return to “Drink”