Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

CAMRP

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
swill453
Lemon Half

CAMRP

Postby swill453 » December 15th, 2016, 11:11 am

Where do I sign up for a return to Real Plates?

What is it with the slates, chopping boards, chips in metal pails etc.? They set my teeth on edge every time I see them.

Scott.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: CAMRP

Postby simoan » December 15th, 2016, 11:17 am

swill453 wrote:Where do I sign up for a return to Real Plates?

What is it with the slates, chopping boards, chips in metal pails etc.? They set my teeth on edge every time I see them.

Scott.

Me too. The reason is very simple; It obviates the chef from having to do any presentation of the food - just slap it on a bit of wood, slate etc.. It's the sign of a lazy chef IMHO. It depends where you are though, probably get away with it in a pub but definite no-no in a MIchelin restaurant.

All the best, Si

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 15th, 2016, 11:19 am

We call them Silly Plates in our house. Then one of my offspring came up with a great portmanteau, silly plates? Slates.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 15th, 2016, 11:40 am

I'd go further than that and start CAMRWP.

I think food looks its best on a plain white plate.

John

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 15th, 2016, 6:53 pm

There's plenty worse at http://wewantplates.com - food served in an orthodontic mould of the owner's mouth anyone?

I don't have too much of a problem with it myself, as long as the receptacles are capable of being cleaned properly and eg you're not getting runny sauces on a rimless slate etc. When it comes down to it hygiene and speed of service are the things that matter - so if fancy receptacles mean chefs are taking less time to send out the food, and are fingering it less to present it, then these are all good things.

Part of it is restaurants needing to justify the costs of eating out - wages, rent, rates etc - by providing more of an "experience" that you can't get at home, part of it is unquestionably driven by recording that experience on social media, both the restaurant's and customers' - they need something visual to stand out.

I'd disagree that things always look best on white plates - pale sauces look far better on a darker background.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » December 15th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Part of it is restaurants needing to justify the costs of eating out - wages, rent, rates etc - by providing more of an "experience" that you can't get at home, part of it is unquestionably driven by recording that experience on social media, both the restaurant's and customers' - they need something visual to stand out.

I'm sure I can pick up some suitable "substitute plates" from my local building reclamation yard and provide the same "experience" at home.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Drink”