Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Recommendations

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: Recommendations

Postby stewamax » September 2nd, 2019, 7:40 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Instead I drink low-cal tonic with a few dashes of Angostura Bitters

I'll second that.
And it would be interesting to try this with a premium tonic such as Fever Tree.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » September 2nd, 2019, 8:11 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Late to the chat but just my 2C...
When previously off beer for a month I found low-cal beer just made me miserable. It's $ and doesn't taste like beer, and arguably it primed my body to want proper beer. Instead I drink low-cal tonic with a few dashes of Angostura Bitters; it's clearer to oneself you are in no way blurring the lines. An even dryer version would be using soda water i/o tonic. To me it rather imitates some aspects of beer, primarily the dry edge you get from hops+carbonation. If the latter isn't to your taste you could give the mixer a good swizzle to knock out some of the CO2.

Although it's only a few drops those going dry should shy off bitters, the ubiquitous Angosturas is 44% abv.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » September 2nd, 2019, 11:15 pm

kempiejon wrote:Although it's only a few drops those going dry should shy off bitters, the ubiquitous Angosturas is 44% abv.

It's true Angostura on it's own is high ABV% (as a preservative, or to be in-line with old school cocktail-strenghth ABV% levels?), but a splash in a 12Oz- or pint glass full of a zero-alcohol sub, I don't believe it figures.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » September 3rd, 2019, 3:08 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:It's true Angostura on it's own is high ABV% (as a preservative, or to be in-line with old school cocktail-strenghth ABV% levels?), but a splash in a 12Oz- or pint glass full of a zero-alcohol sub, I don't believe it figures.

Yes - it is the way mobile refreshment wagons and the like are allowed to sell 'coffee with a dash of whisky/rum/...' without needing a off-licence. As long as end-product is the thing that is sold and not the 'dash', they are well in the clear. And a typical coffee is quite a lot smaller than a half-pint tumbler of tonic.

Return to “Drink”