Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Best instant coffee for lockdown

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Best instant coffee for lockdown

Postby supremetwo » April 4th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Fluke wrote:Oooh now that does look interesting, 25 quid on amazon. Won't take up any worktop space either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerobie-AeroPr ... 141&sr=8-5

Just to let you know I took delivery of my Aeropress yesterday morning, what a great little gadget, so compact. The new improved version comes with a mug plus lid but takes up hardly any room. I bought it from Pact Coffee along with a pack of beans as recommended by Lanark.

Try Lavaza Rossa, beans or ground.

Ground has been on offer recently (Co-op) at £3 per 250g pack and other supermarkets at £5.80/twin pack.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 4th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Midsmartin wrote:My Aeropress is wearing out a bit: the rubbery seal has become compressed and doesn't seal so well, and the inside of the syringe is a bit pitted - again giving a poor seal.

You can get replacement seals https://www.aeropress.co.uk/products/ae ... ubber-seal

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 4th, 2020, 11:24 pm

supremetwo wrote:Ground has been on offer recently (Co-op) at £3 per 250g pack and other supermarkets at £5.80/twin pack.

Amazon do 12-packs, the price varies but if you watch with camelcamelcamel it regularly comes down to £30 or less.

Scott.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » April 5th, 2020, 8:38 am

Midsmartin wrote:Glad you're enjoying it. Note that you can re-use the paper filters a couple of times. You can buy metal replacements too.

My Aeropress is wearing out a bit: the rubbery seal has become compressed and doesn't seal so well, and the inside of the syringe is a bit pitted - again giving a poor seal.

The answer is to look after it better! Don't store it with the plunger in situ so the seal gets squashed - rinse and remove it as soon as you've poured your coffee.. And keep it clean so tough coffee grains don't gouge scratches inside over time.

Good tips! Is there anything you can do using the Aeropress to get a frothy/creamy top to your coffee? So far it's all been a bit flat.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » December 12th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Just noticed this thread has been revived.

My bean-to-cup coffee machine has been languishing for a few years now. The only reason I haven't sold it is because it's worthless as a second hand machine, despite it making a good cup of coffee! The reason for not using it is that my coffee consumption dropped dramatically after I retired, but the machine needs regular cleaning. Whereas it was worth the effort for the number of cups I used to drink, that's no longer the case.

Rather than switch to instant coffee, I now buy ground coffee and use a cafetiere. Almost as good (for long coffee, obviously not applicable for espresso!) and a lot easier to clean after use.

The cafetiere also allows me to play with flavoured coffees (I always enjoy the hazelnut coffees you get in the USA) which need quite strict between-different-coffees cleaning if made in the machine. Another plus for the simpler device.

The odd time I want a latte, I'll heat the milk and whisk it, rather than use the coffee machine frother, so that's not an issue either, even if the coffee going in to it is a little more dilute without the espresso machine.

Right, that's written - time for a cup of tea :)

VRD

ian56
Lemon Pip

Postby ian56 » December 12th, 2020, 2:39 pm

GoSeigen wrote:A vote for Nescafé Gold Blend here, it smells wonderful when opened and makes a very drinkable coffee.

HOWEVER...

very important with instant coffee IMO is not to boil the water. Stop the kettle at 80-90ºC, this can be done by listening to the kettle with practice. When poured it should be just too hot to gulp down -- but too cool if left for more than 5 minutes. Your instant coffee will taste much better this way, especially if drunk strong and black as I prefer it (1.5 to 2 rounded teaspoons of gold blend).

GS

That’s interesting, I’ve always known not to pour boiling water over but I let the kettle boil and then go off the boil for a couple of minutes, I wonder if it makes any difference which way round you do it?

I use Café Direct Machu Picchu instant but it’s also available in ground, recommended on a coffee blog (I don’t remember which one).

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » December 12th, 2020, 8:12 pm

ian56 wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:A vote for Nescafé Gold Blend here, it smells wonderful when opened and makes a very drinkable coffee.

HOWEVER...

very important with instant coffee IMO is not to boil the water. Stop the kettle at 80-90ºC, this can be done by listening to the kettle with practice. When poured it should be just too hot to gulp down -- but too cool if left for more than 5 minutes. Your instant coffee will taste much better this way, especially if drunk strong and black as I prefer it (1.5 to 2 rounded teaspoons of gold blend).

GS

That’s interesting, I’ve always known not to pour boiling water over but I let the kettle boil and then go off the boil for a couple of minutes, I wonder if it makes any difference which way round you do it?

No that's fine, it's the temperature that's significant, not the order of doing things... the only reason I suggested turning off the kettle early is that you also save some energy that way...

GS

Return to “Drink”