Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Red, white and blue.

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
88V8
Lemon Half

Red, white and blue.

Postby 88V8 » April 8th, 2020, 6:51 pm

A summer tipple of mine saw a landmark today.

The red is a dash of grenadine.
White... gin and lemonade or tonic.
Blue... a quarter inch of curacao.

Yes, I have a sweet tooth.

The landmark was the emptying of the curacao bottle. A genuine De Kuyper, it came to me as a gift in 1988, about three quarters full iirc, given by a young lady at my workplace as a token of her undying desire not to drink it.

Describe your DIY concoctions, your venerable bottles................

V8

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Red, white and blue.

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 8th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Curacao isn't actually blue in its natural state (apparently) it's colourless
They put blue food colouring (E133) in it. Same as blue Smarties in days of old
It's pretty harmless, but may cause hairy palms, and an inability to play the bagpipes

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » April 9th, 2020, 6:39 am

About once every three months I treat myself to what Gerrys (the off licence in Old Compton Street, Soho, that has everything) called an Aviation Sunrise:

4 parts gin
3 parts lemon juice
2 parts Luxardo Maraschino
1/2 a part Creme de Geranium (Fisselier)

Stirred over ice. Delicious. My bottle of Geranium is only ever used for this purpose so I can work out it must be about 8 years old based on content. The more common Aviation cocktail substitutes Creme de Violette for the Geranium. I only ever have these on New Year's Eve as for some reason they need to be treated with utmost caution (at leat in my case). On the basis of my consumption my bottle of Violette (Briottet is by far the best) must be at least 15 years old. Incidentally, I did try making this once with Violet Gin assuming that it could substitute for the gin and the Violette but it was absolutely horrid.

Eb.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » April 13th, 2020, 11:52 am

About 3 years ago in addition to the usual sloe gin I decided to make some elderberry gin. It was not a success, in fact you'd have had to be a roaring alcoholic to appreciate it but as there were several bottles of the stuff I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. I've now discovered that if you add some lemonade and a decent slug of cassis it makes a reasonably decent drink. So glad I didn't flush it all away.

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 13th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:About 3 years ago in addition to the usual sloe gin I decided to make some elderberry gin. It was not a success, in fact you'd have had to be a roaring alcoholic to appreciate it but as there were several bottles of the stuff I couldn't bring myself to throw it out. I've now discovered that if you add some lemonade and a decent slug of cassis it makes a reasonably decent drink. So glad I didn't flush it all away.

R6

Bit of imagination and disasters can usually be rescued. A blend like your cocktail mix, or cooking - maybe as a marinade. With a failed herbal gin, my first instinct would be to try a few desserts, for example ...
  • Infuse a melon (try with a slice before venturing the whole thing). Maybe with just a little ground cinnamon or somesuch.
  • A fruit trifle doesn't have to be sherry ... a baba doesn't have to be rum ...
  • How about a sorbet? Or indeed dairy desert from icecream to ... um ... Fool, lemon or otherwise!

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 21st, 2020, 1:24 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:About 3 years ago in addition to the usual sloe gin I decided to make some elderberry gin. It was not a success, in fact you'd have had to be a roaring alcoholic to appreciate it

Shame it wasn't even stronger: you could have re-purposed it as hand sanitiser.

Return to “Drink”