Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Two vices in one

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Two vices in one

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 27th, 2020, 7:20 pm

Anyone try a dash of whisky in green tea? I just have, and it was really nice! Small squeeze of lemon, too.

Or is this something everyone-but-me already knew?

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Two vices in one

Postby swill453 » May 27th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Is there anything that can't be improved with a dash of whisky?

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 27th, 2020, 7:30 pm

There is an Irish Coffee of course, but perhaps you have invented an Irish Tea?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 27th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Anything with whisky, other than a modicum of cool water, is an abomination and a waste of whisky

--kiloran
edit.... I don't class Bells or Teachers as whisky ;) you can do what you like with them, apart from drink them
Last edited by kiloran on May 27th, 2020, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 27th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Lootman wrote:There is an Irish Coffee of course, but perhaps you have invented an Irish Tea?

Hmmm. No, I'm not minded to try whipped cream floating on my green (or any colour) tea. But when you do, perhaps you can report back to us?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 27th, 2020, 7:52 pm

kiloran wrote:edit.... I don't class Bells or Teachers as whisky ;) you can do what you like with them, apart from drink them

Wouldn't argue with that. But I don't use so much whisky as to justify giving houseroom to non-drinking stuff. This was Talisker, which to my taste is one of the nicer tipples around (excepting of course some of the glories of Islay).

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 27th, 2020, 7:59 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
kiloran wrote:edit.... I don't class Bells or Teachers as whisky ;) you can do what you like with them, apart from drink them

Wouldn't argue with that. But I don't use so much whisky as to justify giving houseroom to non-drinking stuff. This was Talisker, which to my taste is one of the nicer tipples around (excepting of course some of the glories of Islay).

WHAT!!!!!!! You contaminated Talisker?????? :roll: :roll: :roll:

--kiloran

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 27th, 2020, 11:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Talisker has been my fave whisky for a long time but it seems to be very expensive nowadays. And as my taste develops I'm beginning to see why they say it appeals to the newbie. Its a bit big and showy.

The single malt I'm enjoying the most at the moment is Bunnahabhain, and at £36 in Waitrose it's a ten quid cheaper than I ever see Talisker sold for, and a whole load more interesting to drink. Does anyone have any other good value single malts to suggest? I'm intrigued by the Japanese ones in the supermarkets these days, but reluctant to buy as worried I'll be disappointed.

As far as the two vices are concerned, I'll be buying one tomorrow for my workshop. Machine Mart in Swindon seem to have a good selection.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 28th, 2020, 12:22 am

Mike4 wrote: I'm intrigued by the Japanese ones in the supermarkets these days, but reluctant to buy as worried I'll be disappointed.

I expect that if you're into Bunnahabhain you might be!

Any I've tried have invariably been much lighter but still very good
- I especially liked White Oak (https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Oak-Akas ... B0094PHDIO)
- but it's more Highland than Islay ;)

As for contaminating Talisker: I'd say they started it with "Talisker Storm", way to go guys!

For hot alcoholic drinks I can recommend kaffegök - coffee 'n' vodka as a shot (sort of a viking's espresso martini)

- sd

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 28th, 2020, 12:40 am

I can;t get on with hot booze.
The Macallan I like, Tamnavulin is a fairly recent find by me often discounted it's down at £22 from £30 in at amazon. This weekend I'll treat myself to Jim Beam double oaked though.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » May 28th, 2020, 12:56 am

servodude wrote:As for contaminating Talisker: I'd say they started it with "Talisker Storm", way to go guys!

Lol can't help but agree. I bought it once, what a waste of money!

Strikes me as a good example of the habit of many firms with a great product, to fiddle with it and change it and rely on the reputation of the original product to flog the new, corrupted version. I notice this happening especially with houmous (hard to find proper houmous on the shelf for packs of houmous with all manner of rubbish mixed in with it), Marmite, vodka, oh and loadsa other stuff I can't think of right now but I bet you get the picture.

Blimey this Bunnahabhain is good tonight!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » May 28th, 2020, 1:15 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:As for contaminating Talisker: I'd say they started it with "Talisker Storm", way to go guys!

Lol can't help but agree. I bought it once, what a waste of money!

Strikes me as a good example of the habit of many firms with a great product, to fiddle with it and change it and rely on the reputation of the original product to flog the new, corrupted version. I notice this happening especially with houmous (hard to find proper houmous on the shelf for packs of houmous with all manner of rubbish mixed in with it), Marmite, vodka, oh and loadsa other stuff I can't think of right now but I bet you get the picture.

Blimey this Bunnahabhain is good tonight!

Totally agree
- I believe with whisky it's an attempt to establish a NV product so you can more effectively manage fluctuations in demand
- really runs the risk of sullying the brand though: particularly when it comes across as a lesser product
it's Talisker FFS - you don't need "not quite Talisker" in a similar bottle

I will forgive Lagavulin for doing younger variants - some of them can be very good (the 8yr in particular is "lively")
- though nothing I've ever had has come close to a dram of this: https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/246 ... d-bot1980s that I had at a Lagavulin "vertical tasting" - it was like leaded exhaust fumes above fresh tarmac (in a good way)

-sd

Return to “Drink”