Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to ExFM,ErroneousBee,GSVsowhat,Shelford,Hypster, for Donating to support the site

Senior moments

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5933
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 798 times
Been thanked: 1316 times

Senior moments

#331788

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 8th, 2020, 6:53 pm

I have a most peculiar drink beside me. A near-white colour, and a slightly-bitter flavour. Drinkable, but not something I'll be keen to repeat. It's the result of, I guess, a senior moment.

The story: I made myself a cuppa green tea. It being a hot day, I made it in the kind of pint mug I usually use for black tea. Or herb teas, though those are usually my bedtime drink.

Went to the fridge for a spot of lemon, but ended up putting milk in it instead. Realised as soon as I saw the novel colour: whoops, it's done now! Tried it, decided it'll do as a one-off, though it tastes surprisingly more bitter than either of the standards - green tea with lemon or black tea (builders or otherwise) with milk!

Any 'interesting' results of a moment of absent-mindedness? I'm not recommending this one, but perhaps you have something that turned out great?

oldapple
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 145
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:30 pm
Has thanked: 1177 times
Been thanked: 79 times

Re: Senior moments

#331805

Postby oldapple » August 8th, 2020, 8:21 pm

We had a man in helping with some building work a few years ago. I made a dinner for him and gave him a black coffee he said he'd like. Conversation was easy with him as he had some great tales of the time he worked in Wales and of the rogue builders there who'd hired empty warehouses and filled them up with illegal waste. He cleared his plate but I wondered how he drank all his coffee so quickly. Turned out he thought it was gravy and didn't bat an eyelid. Not sure I'd recommend this substitution though.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half
Posts: 5004
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 2:30 pm
Has thanked: 1507 times
Been thanked: 1976 times

Re: Senior moments

#331952

Postby bungeejumper » August 9th, 2020, 2:35 pm

My wife is quite fond of those lemon and ginger teabags - for some reason, the Twinings stuff doesn't taste nearly as good as the own-label from Sainsburys or Tesco. Anyway, one afternoon she asked me to make her a mug of same while she was working in the garden, and I somehow managed to double-dose the brew by adding a conventional breakfast teabag. With milk. :?

The resulting brew was exceedingly pleasant! Refreshing yet still substantial. So much so that the hybrid tea (geddit?) has become a gardening fixture. Mind you, it's a bit too strong unless you thriftily make a pair of teabags last for two afternoons. Which is all to the good of the household budget, even though neither of us is from Yorkshire.

BJ

88V8
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1549
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:22 am
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 488 times

Re: Senior moments

#331970

Postby 88V8 » August 9th, 2020, 3:30 pm

In the summer I'm rather partial to a Brown ale shandy.

On a visit to Dublin, one of those bars with a long mahogany counter, knowing that Brown ale was unlikely to be forthcoming I asked for a Guinness shandy.
The wife afterwards commented 'I can't believe you did that'.

V8

kiloran
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2863
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:24 am
Has thanked: 1610 times
Been thanked: 1508 times

Re: Senior moments

#331983

Postby kiloran » August 9th, 2020, 4:18 pm

88V8 wrote:In the summer I'm rather partial to a Brown ale shandy.

On a visit to Dublin, one of those bars with a long mahogany counter, knowing that Brown ale was unlikely to be forthcoming I asked for a Guinness shandy.
The wife afterwards commented 'I can't believe you did that'.

V8

I know of a worse abuse of Guinness than that :oops:

Years ago in France, I came across Biere Tango (beer + Grenadine). Pink beer. Can't say I was over-enamoured by it, so asked the waiter what else they had. He suggested Biere Valse (beer + syrup of mint). Green beer..... I'll have a go at that. Rubbish!

Some years later, in Fife, we had a shindig at a local village pub, and in a drunken haze, I talked of the green beer, and a few of us wondered if putting Creme de Menthe in Guinness might result in a green head on the Guinness. It didn't, it looked like a normal Guiness. And it tasted foul!

--kiloran

servodude
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2451
Joined: November 8th, 2016, 5:56 am
Has thanked: 701 times
Been thanked: 670 times

Re: Senior moments

#332062

Postby servodude » August 10th, 2020, 12:43 am

kiloran wrote:Some years later, in Fife, we had a shindig at a local village pub, and in a drunken haze, I talked of the green beer, and a few of us wondered if putting Creme de Menthe in Guinness might result in a green head on the Guinness. It didn't, it looked like a normal Guiness. And it tasted foul!

--kiloran


I believe Blue Bols works better (also makes a pint of Fairy Liquid if you mix it with snakebite)

Only way I've ever managed to drink Creme de Menthe is with Kahlua and Baileys: tastes like an after-eight mint.

- sd

todthedog
Lemon Slice
Posts: 352
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 4:24 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Senior moments

#332156

Postby todthedog » August 10th, 2020, 1:57 pm

An accidental mixing of cointreau and sloe gin.

Tasted by everyone pronounced successful and was the digestif of choice for the girls

Memories are hazy :D

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half
Posts: 5933
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 8:17 pm
Has thanked: 798 times
Been thanked: 1316 times

Re: Senior moments

#332178

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 10th, 2020, 2:59 pm

todthedog wrote:An accidental mixing of cointreau and sloe gin.

Tasted by everyone pronounced successful and was the digestif of choice for the girls

Memories are hazy :D


Now that sounds like a combination that could easily feature on a cocktail menu. Good that you stumbled on it accidentally!

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1338
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 8:43 am
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 465 times

Re: Senior moments

#333700

Postby stevensfo » August 16th, 2020, 8:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
todthedog wrote:An accidental mixing of cointreau and sloe gin.

Tasted by everyone pronounced successful and was the digestif of choice for the girls

Memories are hazy :D


Now that sounds like a combination that could easily feature on a cocktail menu. Good that you stumbled on it accidentally!


Cointreau was a popular digestif when I was a nipper in the 70s. Every middle class family had to have a bottle in their cabinet.... somewhere.

I think it goes with lots of mixers and of course it's part of a Magharita - with lime and tequila, though I usually use vodka, and without the awful salt around the rim!

Try it with ice-cream!

Steve

Lootman
Lemon Half
Posts: 8950
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 1592 times

Re: Senior moments

#333704

Postby Lootman » August 16th, 2020, 8:56 pm

stevensfo wrote:I think it goes with lots of mixers and of course it's part of a Magharita - with lime and tequila, though I usually use vodka, and without the awful salt around the rim!

Most recipes for a margarita that I have seen use either Triple Sec, Grand Marnier or Cointreau. All are orange-based, which is the point presumably. By trial and error I have come to prefer Cointreau.

I don't mind some salt but avoid anything that makes it sweeter than it needs to be - the curse of most cocktails these days, sadly.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1338
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 8:43 am
Has thanked: 836 times
Been thanked: 465 times

Re: Senior moments

#333899

Postby stevensfo » August 17th, 2020, 4:24 pm

Lootman wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I think it goes with lots of mixers and of course it's part of a Magharita - with lime and tequila, though I usually use vodka, and without the awful salt around the rim!

Most recipes for a margarita that I have seen use either Triple Sec, Grand Marnier or Cointreau. All are orange-based, which is the point presumably. By trial and error I have come to prefer Cointreau.

I don't mind some salt but avoid anything that makes it sweeter than it needs to be - the curse of most cocktails these days, sadly.


True, but sweetness seems to be thrust upon us, whether we want it or not. When I was younger, even cans of peas and carrots had sugar added! I used to pick peas to earn money as a teenager, and the delicious taste of boiled fresh peas (or raw) is hard to forget! These days, it's very hard to find anything that hasn't got sugar, aspartame or saccharin added.

Time for some more cointreau? :-)

Steve


Return to “Drink”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mike4 and 3 guests