Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Talking of glasses of beer...

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Talking of glasses of beer...

Postby DiamondEcho » February 26th, 2017, 10:31 am

jfgw wrote:One of my regular pubs sells beer in schooners (as well as halves, pints, quarts and three third-pint glasses of different beers). A schooner is two-thirds of a pint. Julian F. G. W.

It seems that the British measure, a schooner, was legislated for in 2011.

'Schooner Wars, January 17, 2011, By Dr Brett J. Stubbs
For centuries the Poms have drunk their ale from regulation pint and half-pint measures, but as a result of recent legislation, UK publicans will now also be allowed to fill intermediate-sized glasses of about two-thirds of a pint capacity.' [continues, article also includes an image of an ad by Fosters listing the various beer measures by state in Australia].

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2011/01/schooner-wars/

Also outlined here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12113880

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » February 26th, 2017, 10:14 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:It seems that the British measure, a schooner, was legislated for in 2011.

A schooner was what Berni Inns served their sherry in. :)

Adrian

foundone
Lemon Pip

Postby foundone » February 26th, 2017, 10:42 pm

I think that the whole point is that pubs consistently try to rob you with brim measures. Banks's (spelling is correct!) always used to dispense a pint into an oversize glass which allowed for a 1" head. This was great when you took your glass to a brim measure outlet.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 27th, 2017, 12:23 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:You're arguing definitions if you call that short measure.

I think that was what the Court case was about. It was argued that the "pint" was the volume of liquid after the head had settled.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 27th, 2017, 1:22 am

Alaric wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:You're arguing definitions if you call that short measure.

I think that was what the Court case was about. It was argued that the "pint" was the volume of liquid after the head had settled.

No argument there.

I was replying to someone's comment about things being different in some other countries. I've seen that for myself, and if I apply Brit standards then I might feel short-changed. But it hasn't happened in a bar where I know the manager well enough to raise the issue in a non-confrontational manner, and it doesn't bother me enough to make an issue of it.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 27th, 2017, 8:00 am

Belgians, French and Italians might be very laissez-faire in their dispensing methodology but in one European country at least one gets a foamless half a litre and exactly that as it's all calibrated by a computer to the millimetre. The fact that it's all done in metric system is an added insult.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » February 28th, 2017, 5:10 pm

On the Greene King thing, I suspect they have the opposite problem to what people are thinking of. It's not a question of a beer being on too long, I suspect that if they're cracking through a couple of casks of IPA a week, then they might only clean the IPA line every third barrel, as long as it happens once a week. Ditto with the lager lines. It means that when they're busy they just swap to another cask/keg to keep on serving, they can clean the lines when they finish a barrel when it's quiet.

It's a bit different on a guest ale line where every barrel is different.

General rule is that good pubs clean their lines once a week, less good pubs once a fortnight, terrible pubs not at all...

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » March 2nd, 2017, 10:40 am

A friend of mine ran a pub that was carefully monitored by the pub co. He cleaned the lines after closing one night so we could all have a few free pints. :)

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 2nd, 2017, 11:14 am

The place I visit mostly has a temperature-controlled room with a glass wall for viewing and beers are gravity-dispensed. So no dodgy shenanigans with the beer, no lines to clean. If the beer is not right it stays on the naughty step until it is, or the brewery is asked to take it back. Schooner ie 2/3 stemmed glass is the default size for keykegged beers.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 2nd, 2017, 12:10 pm

JMN2 wrote:The place I visit mostly has a temperature-controlled room with a glass wall for viewing and beers are gravity-dispensed. So no dodgy shenanigans with the beer, no lines to clean. If the beer is not right it stays on the naughty step until it is, or the brewery is asked to take it back. Schooner ie 2/3 stemmed glass is the default size for keykegged beers.

Where is this paragon of virtue?

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 2nd, 2017, 1:54 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:The place I visit mostly has a temperature-controlled room with a glass wall for viewing and beers are gravity-dispensed. So no dodgy shenanigans with the beer, no lines to clean. If the beer is not right it stays on the naughty step until it is, or the brewery is asked to take it back. Schooner ie 2/3 stemmed glass is the default size for keykegged beers.

John

My nationality is known there and may be known here too so I'll keep that a secret. ;)

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » March 9th, 2017, 12:21 am

redsturgeon wrote:

John

Paragon of virtue? Tha's must 'av stronger gravity dawn sowth, if gravity can push beer through t'sparklers....

Return to “Drink”