Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Feeling dirty

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Feeling dirty

Postby GrandOiseau » February 14th, 2017, 11:12 pm

My missus who doesn't drink beer (her tipples are cider, wine, whisky) bought some bottles for my birthday. One of which was Hens Tooth. Brewed by GK of course it is states Morland on the bottle. And on the cap it says Morland Est 1711. No mention of it being purchased by GK in 2000 and subsequently shut and knocked down. There was a lot of scaremongering about the millennium but this was certainly on disaster that came to pass.

But anyhow it was BCA and you have to give it a fair crack. It's strong (6.5%) aswell which would normally suit me, especially if having a oner on school night. Aroma is poor. The taste is Malty with a metallic edge. This is my second bottle after having one the other night. It's not a hardship but compared to Fullers Bengal Lancer as an example it's no contest in my book. Took a look at ratebeer and beer advocate reviews where it seems to at best get an "OK".

Found a review by Des de Moor who gives it a pretty good write up though so maybe my dislike of GK is making me harsh. It's certainly an outlier in their portfolio. If you want to feel dirty like me go to their website and try and find it.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Feeling dirty

Postby didds » February 15th, 2017, 10:56 am

You haven't sold it to me GO :-)

didds

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 15th, 2017, 11:46 am

One of my 'problems' with GK is their (IMO) dishonest branding of beers with the names of breweries they have taken over and shut - such as Morland.
The beer may be the same 'recipe' but it can hardly be called Morland beer when the brewery is now expensive flats (I walked past years ago) and the beer is brewed on the GK site (or perhaps contracted out)

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » February 15th, 2017, 4:42 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:One of my 'problems' with GK is their (IMO) dishonest branding of beers with the names of breweries they have taken over and shut - such as Morland.
The beer may be the same 'recipe' but it can hardly be called Morland beer when the brewery is now expensive flats (I walked past years ago) and the beer is brewed on the GK site (or perhaps contracted out)

They would argue that they have taken the yeast strains from Morland, are using the same ingredients, methods, etc. Only difference would be the water and the kit it's made with. This can of course have some impact but it should be a close replication. Like you I still don't agree with using the brewery name.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 16th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Aren't those Morland bottles made of clear glass? I never take a risk of buying skunked beer. :shock:

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » February 16th, 2017, 10:41 pm

JMN2 wrote:Aren't those Morland bottles made of clear glass? I never take a risk of buying skunked beer. :shock:

They are.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » February 17th, 2017, 10:39 am

JMN2 wrote:Aren't those Morland bottles made of clear glass? I never take a risk of buying skunked beer. :shock:

Well you do, unless the beer is in a totally opaque container.

You can get skunked beer in green or brown bottles same as clear ones.

Mind you, in over 40 years of beer drinking, I've never come across any skunked beer. nor do I know anybody who has.

Slarti

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » February 17th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Slarti wrote:...

Mind you, in over 40 years of beer drinking, I've never come across any skunked beer. nor do I know anybody who has.

Slarti

And there is a good reason for that.

Return to “Drink”