Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby GrandOiseau » November 30th, 2017, 3:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:It was with some relief that I discovered the Black Country however with Bathams, Holdens and Doris Pardoes and regular coach trip from the students union to sample these.
John

Strewth! I thought the boozing student was a myth. My generation binged on coffee instead, being much better suited to our budgets. Beer, or alcohol of any kind, was a very-occasional indulgence!

I was a student in the late 80's. Boy did we drink. Not that I'm proud of it particularly. The height of hedonism was that the Law Society Christmas disco that was held from midday to 5pm in a proper nightclub on a weekday. Stumbling out of a nightclub wrecked and boogied at just as people were leaving off work and doing their xmas shopping was a weird experience. We didn't just drink though, one day we spent 8 hours in our student lounge, drinking tea, eating pasties, doing crosswords, etc.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 1st, 2017, 12:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:It was with some relief that I discovered the Black Country however with Bathams, Holdens and Doris Pardoes and regular coach trip from the students union to sample these.
John

Strewth! I thought the boozing student was a myth. My generation binged on coffee instead, being much better suited to our budgets. Beer, or alcohol of any kind, was a very-occasional indulgence!

Nope, when I was a student 1985 onward booze was central, and essential !
I was down in the South West: I cant honestly remember what I drank. My memory says Kronenbourg 1664 but was it even available then ? I did drink bitter as well, but it was all Courage I think, plus occasionally Newquay Steam and Newcastle Brown...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 1st, 2017, 12:59 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote: I did drink bitter as well, but it was all Courage I think, plus occasionally Newquay Steam and Newcastle Brown...

Damn, there was me thinking Newky Brown came from Newquay too... :D

Joh

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 1st, 2017, 1:11 pm

It did cause occasional confusion...bottle of Newky pleeeshh

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 1st, 2017, 1:20 pm

Student in Edinburgh in late 70s and early 80s. I confess I did have the occasional coffee, but mainly it was beer all the way. Freshers' week was all about finding the clubs and societies that gave you access to the cheapest beer in the highest quantities.

It was all McEwans and Tartan Special mind you, "heavy" or "80 shillings". The real education came later.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 1st, 2017, 2:02 pm

OK, you lot win, several of you from around my time profess to much booze. Yes, we dabbled, but the coffee-to-beer ratio must've been at least 10:1, maybe 20:1 at other times of year. Mind you, the wonderful coffee shop in King Street encouraged that: so many various and delicious beans from around the world to sample, and inexplicably cheaper than the big chains selling blandness.

Perhaps that's the same bubble that saw us vote to disaffiliate from the NUS (too much loony-lefty nonsense in the national organisation), and even elect in about 1981-ish a paid-up Young Conservative as JCR president.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 1st, 2017, 2:12 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:OK, you lot win, several of you from around my time profess to much booze. Yes, we dabbled, but the coffee-to-beer ratio must've been at least 10:1, maybe 20:1 at other times of year. Mind you, the wonderful coffee shop in King Street encouraged that: so many various and delicious beans from around the world to sample, and inexplicably cheaper than the big chains selling blandness.

Perhaps that's the same bubble that saw us vote to disaffiliate from the NUS (too much loony-lefty nonsense in the national organisation), and even elect in about 1981-ish a paid-up Young Conservative as JCR president.

Coffee for me as a student consistent of a spoonful of powder from a catering size tin of Nescafe (if we were feeling posh) topped up from a kettle. I don't think such a thing as a coffee shop with an espresso machine existed in a three mile radius of the university campus.

John

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » December 1st, 2017, 2:31 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:OK, you lot win, several of you from around my time profess to much booze. Yes, we dabbled, but the coffee-to-beer ratio must've been at least 10:1, maybe 20:1 at other times of year. Mind you, the wonderful coffee shop in King Street encouraged that: so many various and delicious beans from around the world to sample, and inexplicably cheaper than the big chains selling blandness.

If I drank coffee at a ratio of 10:1 given the amount of beer I drank at poly, I'd be dead.

Which uni/poly where you at?

Oreosi

Postby Oreosi » December 1st, 2017, 3:35 pm

I have found this small brewery with the beer called Velvet. I tried it in Prague and man, that beer is the best! Seriously, one of the best beers I have tasted.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 2nd, 2017, 2:12 am

redsturgeon wrote:Coffee for me as a student consistent of a spoonful of powder from a catering size tin of Nescafe (if we were feeling posh) topped up from a kettle. I don't think such a thing as a coffee shop with an espresso machine existed in a three mile radius of the university campus.

John

Ugh. Nescafe has its place, but calling it coffee is a bit of a stretch. But you may have the wrong end of the stick: the coffee shop in question sold beans or ground coffee, not cups of anything. And I don't think I even knew what espresso was back then: just enjoyed the percolator with some really good coffees.

GrandOiseau wrote:Which uni/poly where you at?

Cambridge. I was a pioneering male Girtonian.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 2nd, 2017, 7:13 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Cambridge. I was a pioneering male Girtonian.

Cambridge, nice! On a recent trip there we had a couple of really good pub lunches in my old stamping ground near Parkers Piece.

Clarendon Arms, Clarendon Street. 4.5/5 on Tripadvisor
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... gland.html

The Free Press, Prospect Row 4/5 on TA
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... gland.html

I used to live on Clarendon Street in the early 80s and the Free Press was a favourite then. Hadn't been to either in 34 years, so was pleased to see the Free Press does not seem to have changed one iota in that time. Same look, same feel, same people [a few tourists, mixed with a few students loudly planning some mind-boggling project or other :)) As it was a short visit to the UK after yeeears of absence we were craving very British dishes, fish and chips, steak and ale pie, and so on. We'd just spent 3 nights in London and already sampled those (plus a few Asian meals). But we feasted on more in Cambridge and in general terms, it was twice as good (quality/portion) and say half the price. Damned fine beer too!

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 2nd, 2017, 9:34 am

Oreosi wrote:I have found this small brewery with the beer called Velvet. I tried it in Prague and man, that beer is the best! Seriously, one of the best beers I have tasted.

NOOOOOOO!!! No it wasn't.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 8th, 2017, 10:36 am

A selection of bottles last night. Waitrose 4 for £6? As it was on my way to the dinner, and I needed to bring my own, seemed rude not to.

Marston's - Pedigree. Perfectly decent. Nowt special.
Butcombe Brewery - Original. This was pretty good I think.
Oakham Ales - Scarlet Macaw. One of those fizzy hoppy full tasting ones. By then I was on pudding course and it didn't really go.

Took the 4th one home, an IPA, possibly from Marston's. At 5.7% a bit full on for a school night that would have been, so it's saved for another day.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 29th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Shepherd Neame 6.1% India Pale Ale, in name only, my usual stronger beer Proper Job was no more, what has this one to do with IPA I wonder? Could it be the ash in the flavour? Or the sweet caramel? The mind boggless.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 31st, 2017, 10:53 am

DiamondEcho wrote:Cambridge, nice! On a recent trip there we had a couple of really good pub lunches in my old stamping ground near Parkers Piece.

Aaah, Cambridge. :) A mate and I had a dotcom there in the late 1990s - we nearly made it as well, but the 2000 bust came along and blew us away while we were still assembling the silly-money funding. We weren't really gown types, so we spent our lunchtimes out at the Pike and Eel instead, watching the rowing teams on the Cam and mainly drinking IPA, as I recall.

South-east Cambridge pubs could be patchy. On a good night you might meet Rory McGrath. Then again, on a bad night you might meet Rory McGrath with a hangover. Which was a whole different story. :?

BJ

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am

Had a small disaster. Went to a Christmas party in a local hall, took a plastic wrapped up pack of 8 of Hogs Back Brewery Farnham White. Made with reportedly once famous and highly sought after, erm, Farnham White hops, bottles marked with the date the hops were cut and used in the brew. Very nice indeed (I guess it's a local brew for local people, you may be lucky in a nearby Waitrose, that's where I got it). The party was great, for some reason started drinking prosecco halfway through, toasts? Not sure what happened to the time either, first it was 10pm, then it was 01:45! I gathered my remaining brews, and wandered home. Went to put them in the nice cool cupboard, where the beer and the crisps and the hoover and the ironing board and the cans of soft drink are stored. Something went badly wrong at this point, they fell against the wall a bit, and two of the bottles exploded, totally disintegrated, with what I thought was a fairly loud bang. By the time I'd got my head round what had happened, sworn several times, and got to the sink and got a bowl and a cloth, there was a slick of beer emerging from the cupboard and slowly spreading across the floor. On reflection, lucky that it was still wrapped in its plastic outer, otherwise the spray would have gone everywhere, and the glass shrapnel would have been no joking matter. Mopping up and then cleaning and wiping down the cupboard and its contents for 40 minutes, quietly turning the air blue, is not a great 2am drunken task.

Farnham White, nice beer though.

Less eventful New Years Eve. The host had got in some Andwells, Gold Muddler and King John. The Muddler was more to my taste, very nice, but the King John wasn't bad either.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » January 2nd, 2018, 1:05 pm

The horrible Shepherd Neame "IPA" on Friday put me off beer so am now feeling very healthy and energetic. I was so bored on Sunday I went to bed 6.30pm and woke up 9.30am the following morning feeling very refreshed.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 2nd, 2018, 1:26 pm

bungeejumper wrote:We weren't really gown types, so we spent our lunchtimes out at the Pike and Eel instead, watching the rowing teams on the Cam and mainly drinking IPA, as I recall.

Alas The Pike & Eel is no longer. It was a nice location and hence has some new houses on it with river frontage, but it was just a bog standard Greene King pub and the beer was nothing to write home about. The Green Dragon just up the road was better IMHO.

South-east Cambridge pubs could be patchy. On a good night you might meet Rory McGrath. Then again, on a bad night you might meet Rory McGrath with a hangover. Which was a whole different story. :?

I'm not sure I understand? Some of the best pubs for beer in Cambridge were/are SE of the City off Mill Road e.g. Cambridge Blue, Salisbury Arms, Live & Let Live, Earl of Beaconsfield and Kingston Arms. I've spent many a happy night doing a pub crawl around the area! And now of course you have many others (including the Milton brewery owned Devonshire Arms) as that area has been gentrified over the years.

Rory Magrath used to regularly drink in my then local, The Free Press, as it was about 50 yards from where he lived. The guy's a bit of an idiot to be honest, and I never liked him, but then he is a Gooner!

All the best, Si

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 2nd, 2018, 4:13 pm

I've been to Cambridge once, maybe twice, and even then I've managed to be in the same pub as Rory McGrath. I sense a pattern.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 2nd, 2018, 8:06 pm

simoan wrote:Rory Magrath used to regularly drink in my then local, The Free Press, as it was about 50 yards from where he lived. The guy's a bit of an idiot to be honest, and I never liked him, but then he is a Gooner! All the best, Si

Where did you live (if I might ask)? Since I lived within 100-200M of the Free Press, early 80s, at both my place at 10 Emmanuel Road, and also my then GFs place closer, at 27 Clarendon Street. So the FP was a regular of ours back then. Went back earlier this year and was amazed it's hardly changed at all, same type of eclectic sparse crowd and gruff management etc.
By contrast the Clarendon Arms on Clarendon St has changed. That used to be the kind of place 'outsiders/students' didn't go AFAIR, it was gritty working class/locals only. Well it's not any more, the food was superb, and the welcome and hospitality given noteworthy!

- Salisbury Arms - OMG - yes, superb!

Return to “Drink”