Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 18th, 2018, 10:37 pm

I'm missing Windsor Waitrose :-(

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 18th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Pint tonight of a very select brew. Chap produces hops in his back garden, flogs them to Summerskills, who produce just a few barrels each year from them. Barman at our regular Thursday watering hole gets one.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 19th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Very pleasant IPA tonight from Electric Bear, vegan brew with no finings.

They describe it as a session beer...at 5.4% !

That's a short session in my world!

John

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 20th, 2018, 12:08 am

redsturgeon wrote:Very pleasant IPA tonight from Electric Bear, vegan brew with no finings. They describe it as a session beer...at 5.4% !
That's a short session in my world! John

Speaking of beer and bears, I've one of these in the fridge - https://bearrepublic.com/beer/grand-am/
As an American Pale Ale I'm going to choose my moment though as I fully expect it to be a palette-numbing hop-bomb..... :?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 20th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Had a bit of 'craft beer' binge last night: blaming it on enthusiastic and knowledgeable barman!
Wild Beer Pogo- very fruity, couldn't handle a pint of this!!
Beavertown- Neck Oil(?)- Nice light beer
Some other stuff, and lots of Hop Head...

Today, I am suffering...Lots of Mikkeller in the fridge for hair of the dog later

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » October 20th, 2018, 5:44 pm

Great Newsome: Muddy Boots (3.9%).

I had some at the Live and Let Live beer and pie festival in Stanway, Colchester. It was described as a "robust session porter", an accurate description, very assertively flavoured (I am trying to think of a word other than "robust") with plenty of roast and chocolate malt toasty flavour (like rich, black coffee without the coffiness) and no fruity nonsense.

It's not easy describing a flavour, you need to seek some out and try it for yourself.

The brewery describe it as, "This is our Yorkshire version of porter – robust and chestnut with roast and chocolate malt – especially for welly wearers."
https://www.greatnewsomebrewery.co.uk/seasonal-beers/

Julian F. G. W.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 21st, 2018, 6:23 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Had a bit of 'craft beer' binge last night: blaming it on enthusiastic and knowledgeable barman!
Wild Beer Pogo- very fruity, couldn't handle a pint of this!!
Beavertown- Neck Oil(?)- Nice light beer
Some other stuff, and lots of Hop Head...

Today, I am suffering...Lots of Mikkeller in the fridge for hair of the dog later

Mrs BD has a Pogo or Neck Oil most evenings whilst cooking our evening meal. Just the one mind. Both are typical craft session pale ales, and as you say, Pogo is more fruity (passion fruit/guava). Whilst Pogo is from Wildbeer in Somerset, Neck Oil is from Beavertown in North London, founded by Logan Plant, son of Robert. Indeed, the naming of the beer is a nod to family ties, with Robert's dad telling his son proudly that he needed some 'neck oil' as lubrication after early Led Zep gigs.

Heineken recently made an investment into Beavertown to facilitate a larger brewery being commissioned. Time will tell how that plays out.

Mikkeller on the other hand...that's playing with the big boys! Many a sore head can be had after some of their brews, particularly their renowned specials often brewed alongside guest brewers from other countries.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pm

BrummieDave wrote:Neck Oil is from Beavertown in North London, founded by Logan Plant, son of Robert. Indeed, the naming of the beer is a nod to family ties, with Robert's dad telling his son proudly that he needed some 'neck oil' as lubrication after early Led Zep gigs.

Heineken recently made an investment into Beavertown to facilitate a larger brewery being commissioned. Time will tell how that plays out.

FWIW Beavertown will also be running the in-house microbrewery down the road from HQ at the new Spurs stadium, when it eventually opens, which should be some time this decade.

I am very partial to a pint of Smog Rocket, Gamma Ray or Neck Oil but won't be paying stadium prices for it!How this fits with Logan Plant's dad being Honorary Vice Chairman of Wolverhampton Wanderers, I don't know, but then no-one does end of footie season dinners like Wolves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Qfo5fjyX0

All the best, SI

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 22nd, 2018, 4:01 pm

C'mon the Wolves !
AC
(supporting the ol' black and gold since c1970)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 12th, 2018, 11:01 am

Went to the Woking Beer Festival on Friday night.

Actually, a weird thing happened last week, went to a pub last Thursday and tried to have a pint of Adnams Ghost Ship, but it was off, finished, so I had something else that I don't recall, Pride maybe? Nowt special. Then got to the pub we were meeting in before the beer fest, and they had Adnams Ghost Ship on...."karma!" I thought, and immediately ordered one, and this pint of murky soup was delivered, the junior staffer looked confused when I queried it when it didn't really start to clear, and I took a quick sup and it was not right, in my opinion, the manager was happy to swap it without a fuss. Had a TEA instead.

The beer festival was good, same as usual, where they try and make a sports hall feel as convivial as possible, and almost succeed. I forgot to take a pen, so no complete list of drinks taken available. Looking at the online beer list has only triggered a few penny drops, Longdog - "Chinook" was good, as was Downton Brewery's Cerberus. I think I must prefer hops to malt, as I tried to drink Tillingbourne's Dormouse, but just couldn't. What else I drank is a cloudy mystery, hmm, looking again, maybe Maxim Brewery's Samson. That's it, I definitely had more than that, but memory does not serve. And yes, for those that have been before, Len is still playing the Wurlitzer.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 12th, 2018, 3:00 pm

I just surpassed 250 beers rated on Beeradvocate, despite which I re-surprised myself this morning :lol: to read mention of Red Stripe and now see that I've never rated it. It can be strange how with some beers I've drunk now and again across decades I suddenly realise I've never rated. It happened again just this week with a well known English ale, and last week with a similar pedigree Scottish beer.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » November 13th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I've rated a few beers but to be honest I'm not sure I can be that @rsed.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 13th, 2018, 10:30 pm

I think you have to start early and continue for some years, then perhaps it has more significance...

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 13th, 2018, 10:43 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I think you have to start early and continue for some years...

Blimey, that's what I call a session!! :-)

All the best, Si

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 15th, 2018, 7:15 pm

ps: @ GO. I started when I was living in Berlin, when my local [larger] drinks shop stocked over 100 different beers, and probably 75 of those German. I'd visit and choose '5 new ones' a week + some tried and tested previous good beers. So it began as a tool to narrow my potential shopping list + target the real gems.
But now years later looking back I have found the habit both fun and rewarding, wherever I am I have my eyes out for something new. The rewarding aspect is that previously I'd just considered a beer as something I enjoyed or not, I'd not thought more deeply about how to consider the various facets of a beer, and hence to recognise what I'm drawn to (and hence hopefully make better targetted buys in future).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 24th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Last night for a quick drink at my local I thought a couple of Red Cat Chinooks would do nicely, then home for 8pm and an early night. However...

After two pints, an impromptu pot limit Omaha poker session ensued that made me think again about my drink of choice. It was then I noticed the Greene King XX Mild, at 3% perfect for keeping the mind relatively clear. Four pints later, after midnight, it proved to be the case.

Very tasty indeed, I'd recommend it if you see it.

John

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » November 25th, 2018, 6:50 pm

One of my daughters who lives in Germany has kindly sent me a Kalea German beer Advent Calendar.
I have seen a few English ones and not been particularly excited by them.
But this one contains some fascinating beers, including a Bad Santa's Gypsysud 2018 dunkler weizen doppelbock at 8.5% - most suitable to keep the cold out on Xmas Eve.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 25th, 2018, 10:25 pm

Having another Fuller's 1845 tonight. Damn this thing is a wonderful beast of a beer, perfect for this season. A full on puddingy 6.3% bottle conditioned ale. Not that widely sold, but worth looking out for (eyes open in Sainbury's and Waitrose). And it's on offer right now at the former, £6 for 4 IIRC, mad!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 25th, 2018, 10:31 pm

@Stew, you shld do a long w/e over there, a mini beer-tour. IME doesn't matter if it's 'north' [Berlin] or south Munich/Dusseldorf/Nurenberg etc., you can get a load of good beers very simply. And beer is cheap as chips over there, esp retail/take-out.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 26th, 2018, 8:14 am

stewamax wrote:One of my daughters who lives in Germany has kindly sent me a Kalea German beer Advent Calendar.
I have seen a few English ones and not been particularly excited by them.
But this one contains some fascinating beers, including a Bad Santa's Gypsysud 2018 dunkler weizen doppelbock at 8.5% - most suitable to keep the cold out on Xmas Eve.

I have this Beer Hawk one, I had the same last year. Looks quite exciting to me. I've no doubt your is pretty good too though.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/advent-calendar

John

Return to “Drink”