Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Postby DiamondEcho » October 4th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:Booths - which is on the fringes of mass-market but only in the NW. But they have easily the best beer selection of the supermarkets, by a mile.

I've heard this chain mentioned in positive terms a few times now, but had not heard of it before we left the UK. I look forward to visiting next time we're visiting family up north, after we get home next year.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 6th, 2017, 11:36 am

Seemed to me Morrisons had ditched the 4 for £6 deal, most of the ales were just £1.50, might be some kind of a seasonal promotion who knows. Oakham's 6% green devil IPA at £1.75, for weeks I thought it was the Citra and not part of the £6 deal. Proper Job at £1.50 a pop is very good value for money, tipsiness/price -ratio is close to optimum.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 6th, 2017, 3:07 pm

A new beer for me, Oakham Ales and couldn't find it on their website, perhaps a rebranded Morrisons version?

American Pale at 4.2%. With Chinook, Summit, Columbus and Cascade hops. Quite solid.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » October 9th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Schnapps and a bottle of Oakham Citra went down well after visiting teetotaler neighbours for dinner yesterday!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 9th, 2017, 6:20 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:...after visiting teetotaler neighbours...

Think I'd have needed a bag of Charlie after that rip-roaring evening ;)

ps Actually, schnapps + beer, that's a very Scandinavian and typical combo.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 9th, 2017, 8:26 pm

JMN2 wrote:A new beer for me, Oakham Ales and couldn't find it on their website, perhaps a rebranded Morrisons version?

American Pale at 4.2%. With Chinook, Summit, Columbus and Cascade hops. Quite solid.

Listed as a Craftworks keg : http://www.oakhamales.com/kegs.html

I'd guess that Morrisons have got them to make it down to a budget, and they've kept a bit back for release in keg.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 14th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
JMN2 wrote:A new beer for me, Oakham Ales and couldn't find it on their website, perhaps a rebranded Morrisons version?

Listed as a Craftworks keg : http://www.oakhamales.com/kegs.html

I'd guess that Morrisons have got them to make it down to a budget, and they've kept a bit back for release in keg.

Another one from Oakham I bought from Morrisons is Kiwi Gold at 4.2%. Nelson Sauvin, Southern Cross, Pacific Jade, Waimea, Pacific Gem and Rakau hops. Good resiny bitterness. This one not listed in their keg-section.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 14th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Seems both the American Pale and Kiwi Gold were brewed "for the Morrisons beer festival":
https://twitter.com/OakhamAles/status/9 ... 8303417344

Morrisons seem to be doing quite a bit of that kind of thing.

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » October 15th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Bishops Farewell (Oakham) Superb, mind you the Gadd's No3 was a close second.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » October 24th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Imbiber wrote:Bishops Farewell (Oakham) Superb, mind you the Gadd's No3 was a close second.

I've had that in cask, excellent indeed. Another good ones and rare from Oakham are Preacher and MK Ultra, seasonal ones. Pressure your local brewery to do a brewery swap if not local to your area.

Pilsner Urquell to celebrate the arrival of my SIPP to HL. Feels odd to have a beer not on Friday or Saturday.

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » October 26th, 2017, 9:54 pm

My pub of choice usually has one Oakham on, one of the seven ales available. Scarlet Macaw, Bishops farewell Preacher, or green devil, not seen the MK.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 4th, 2017, 6:16 pm

This afternoon I have been knocking down various beers from Tadcaster Samuel Smith and watching Jonathan Meades and Quentin Tarantino on YouTube, Death Proof (2007) with Kurt Russell.

https://youtu.be/E_REDFV0sCM

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 4th, 2017, 7:19 pm

JMN2 wrote:This afternoon I have been knocking down various beers from Tadcaster Samuel Smith and watching Jonathan Meades and Quentin Tarantino on YouTube, Death Proof (2007) with Kurt Russell.

I love that film!

My guilty pleasure.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » November 4th, 2017, 7:25 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:This afternoon I have been knocking down various beers from Tadcaster Samuel Smith and watching Jonathan Meades and Quentin Tarantino on YouTube, Death Proof (2007) with Kurt Russell.

I love that film!

My guilty pleasure.

John

I think it's about woman empowerment and outright woman power. Kick his ass!

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » November 5th, 2017, 7:33 pm

Fyne Jarl

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 6th, 2017, 10:26 am

Went on the Real Ale Train at the weekend. It was good. Nice to sit on a train drinking beer and not feel you're being silently judged by other passengers ;)

For those that don't know...Watercress Line/Mid Hants Railway. Train trundles from Alton to Alresford and back a couple of times, in a converted goods truck there's a bar and the buffet car serves chili curry and burgers.

I had some Ballard's Best*, and that was very good. Then something from Tillingbourne Brewery, AONB possibly. That was a lot hoppier and golden, I liked that too. Then the third one along from the right, that wasn't as good, but perfectly drinkable. Then something else, possibly, or more AONB, then something that wasn't great but no idea what it was, ended up carrying it home on the proper train before half went down the drain at the station.

Good night though.

* They're selling up and it's been bought by another brewer, I assume/hope the name and recipe will continue.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 6th, 2017, 11:05 am

I wish the SVR would do something like that - plenty of local breweries!
Perhaps they're worried about 'yobbos' but in my experience CAMRA types are well behaved...usually.
Plenty of people do an SVR pub crawl (station bar at Kiddy, Bewdley, Arley, Railwayman's Arms at Bridgnorth or similar)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » November 6th, 2017, 11:19 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I wish the SVR would do something like that - plenty of local breweries!
Perhaps they're worried about 'yobbos' but in my experience CAMRA types are well behaved...usually.
Plenty of people do an SVR pub crawl (station bar at Kiddy, Bewdley, Arley, Railwayman's Arms at Bridgnorth or similar)

Well I guess the economics of it must stack up. £15 a ticket (with a "free" first pint voucher), the train is full, not sure how many carriages mind, but must be a couple of hundred people, it's sold out every time (remaining three this year are sold out). Though they only charge you £2 a pint, which is about 1/2 pub cost, though I'd guess they only pay £1 a pint ish direct from the brewery. By the end of the trip all the barrels were empty and they were selling bottles, so no wastage. They sell a plate of curry and rice for a fiver. And it's mostly staffed by volunteers.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Though there's probably some downsides.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 7th, 2017, 8:50 am

The only downside I can think of is the seven mile drive for me to the station.

Oh, and the darts game can be a bit tricky while going over the points at Ropley. :D

John

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 7th, 2017, 2:49 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I wish the SVR would do something like that - plenty of local breweries!

Amen to that. Helluva lot of good breweries between Brum and Bridgenorth. :P

My local village hall, of which I was Hon Sec, never had the slightest problem with letting to either CAMRA or the local heavy-leather bikers' group. Both were always impeccably behaved, and on the one occasion when somebody's beer paunch destroyed a bit of sanitaryware (don't even ask :roll: ), they paid up on the spot. Our problem was with hen nights, which we eventually had to ban. Couldn't stand the breakages.

Which, oddly enough, was also what my local boozers in Bath said when I asked why they didn't serve rough cider any more. But that's another story...

BJ

Return to “Drink”