Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Whisky

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Re: Whisky

Postby bionichamster » April 14th, 2017, 4:13 pm

I spent a year in total living on Islay back in the early 90's and again early 2000's.

I generally avoid whisky but I did make the effort (out of respect to my neighbors) to at least try the output of most of the distilleries. I can safely say that Caol Ila was almost certainly the best of what I tasted and it also seemed to be the most popular among those who I knew that lived on the island. I did buy a special bottling of it about 16 years ago, which still sits in a drawer somewhere awaiting a special occasion.

The old style Bruichladdich (i.e. before it closed down and was reopened) was also quite good, very different to the new one which is far 'spicier', mind you as a non whisky drinker probably best not to take my word for it!

One of the locals introduced me to Bells Islander, it was a blend made up of mostly Islay malts and some other island whiskies. Since many blends seem to share tasting notes with drain cleaner it was quite a surprise to find that this one was exceptionally smooth and eminently drinkable, so much so that three of us polished the entire bottle off that night (the one and only time I've ever done that with a whisky). If I ever had to recommend a blend that would be it, unfortunately they stopped making it perhaps ten or more years ago so a single malt might actually be cheaper than any remaining unopened bottles!

BH

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 15th, 2017, 4:46 am

It's amazing what a little leg room (oxidisation) in a bottle can do for a whisky. I have a fairly uncommon 16 year old Springbank bottled at 54.2%. I think this is a greatly altered whisky from when I opened it around a year ago. With around half the bottle remaining, and not being opened for around 6 months or so, the initially overpowering sulphur notes have mellowed to a respectable burn match note whilst the lovely apple notes are coming alive. Not just apple but fresh green apple, candy apple, toffee apple. Pure magic.

By the way, I bought this bottle from the Good Spirits Shop on Bath St, Glasgow. (no connection) They do online too.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 15th, 2017, 5:07 am

bionichamster wrote:
One of the locals introduced me to Bells Islander, it was a blend made up of mostly Islay malts and some other island whiskies. Since many blends seem to share tasting notes with drain cleaner it was quite a surprise to find that this one was exceptionally smooth and eminently drinkable, so much so that three of us polished the entire bottle off that night (the one and only time I've ever done that with a whisky). If I ever had to recommend a blend that would be it, unfortunately they stopped making it perhaps ten or more years ago so a single malt might actually be cheaper than any remaining unopened bottles!

BH

This reminds me of the malt vatting, Big Peat @46% with Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Bowmore, Port Ellen included. I don't think any grain is used at all in it. https://youtu.be/8BUWF6bK6bY

Return to “Drink”