Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Whisky

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Whisky

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 11:21 am

I'm a whisky drinker. Scotch, single malt or blended. Not sure I have a favourite single malt, but for value for money you can't beat Teachers. Nice proportion of malt with a peated body.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Re: Whisky

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 11:24 am

Actually, as it's already Friday night here in Brisbane, I'm having a wee concoction of a dram of Teachers with a splash of Drambuie. :D

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » April 7th, 2017, 12:16 pm

I have had a very nice 18 year-old Laphroaig. I have it straight, no ice, no water. I take a small sip and swish it around my mouth and savour the aftertaste before taking the next tiny sip.

Julian F. G. W.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 12:23 pm

I have the Laphroaig 16 year old. Yes a lovely example of an heavily peated Islay single malt. Have you tried the ever so slightly, almost unpeated Bunnababhain 12 year old? It's a favourite of mine. From Islay just like Laphroaig but a completely different experience.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 12:40 pm

I see Ralfy reviewed the Laphroaig 18 year old a back here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYpJ_9skXs.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 7th, 2017, 12:41 pm

jfgw wrote:I have had a very nice 18 year-old Laphroaig. I have it straight, no ice, no water. I take a small sip and swish it around my mouth and savour the aftertaste before taking the next tiny sip.

Julian F. G. W.

I love Laphroaig but prefer the 10yo. Rather more rumbustious and less subtle(!) than the older stuff (subtlety never was my strong point).
I do prefer Ardbeg, though, probably an even more extreme Islay in my view. Certainly not for wimps :)

--kiloran

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 7th, 2017, 12:45 pm

kiloran wrote:
jfgw wrote:I have had a very nice 18 year-old Laphroaig. I have it straight, no ice, no water. I take a small sip and swish it around my mouth and savour the aftertaste before taking the next tiny sip.

Julian F. G. W.

I love Laphroaig but prefer the 10yo. Rather more rumbustious and less subtle(!) than the older stuff (subtlety never was my strong point).
I do prefer Ardbeg, though, probably an even more extreme Islay in my view. Certainly not for wimps :)

--kiloran

Hi Kiloran
Love Ardbeg. Ralfys whisky of the year 2016 actually. If you like the rumbustious, have you tried the Caol Ila? It would raise the dead. :lol:

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 7th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Is it my imagination or is the current Laphroaig sigificantly less peaty/salty/iodiney than that of say 25 years ago?
Or are my taste-buds merely fried with overuse?
In passing, the only Western Isles malt I find a bit too much for me is Talisker - I like peat and salt but not white pepper...

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 7th, 2017, 9:55 pm

Halicarnassus wrote:
Hi Kiloran
Love Ardbeg. Ralfys whisky of the year 2016 actually. If you like the rumbustious, have you tried the Caol Ila? It would raise the dead. :lol:

Well, that's done it. Never tried Caol Ila, but your description has made it irresistable. I may have to find an excuse to hop into Glasgow to find a bottle in the near future.

--kiloran

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 8th, 2017, 12:06 am

kiloran wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:
Hi Kiloran

Well, that's done it. Never tried Caol Ila, but your description has made it irresistable. I may have to find an excuse to hop into Glasgow to find a bottle in the near future.

--kiloran

The Bon Accord on North St do an 8 Year old bottling in their in-house shop. Caol Ila did a special one for them. And it's special.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 8th, 2017, 6:45 am

Hmm, so everyone loves a good Islay?

First fell in love with the ubiquitous Laphroaig, then branched out from there. Love Ardbeg just as much, but my all-time favourite was Lagavulin. But I don't quite share the worship of Caol Ila seen elsewhere in this thread.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 8th, 2017, 6:48 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Hmm, so everyone loves a good Islay?

First fell in love with the ubiquitous Laphroaig, then branched out from there. Love Ardbeg just as much, but my all-time favourite was Lagavulin. But I don't quite share the worship of Caol Ila seen elsewhere in this thread.

Hi Eb

I'm not saying I worship Caol Ila, but describing it rather as 'rumbustious'. :)

H

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » April 8th, 2017, 7:54 am

I seldom buy a malt, too d....d expensive but I think Ardbeg is my favourite. Caol Ila is a bit over rated to me.

Dod

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 9th, 2017, 8:12 am

For a while now I've been a fan of pouring some Barbadillo pedro ximenez sherry over my ice cream as a decadent luxury, which I considered unsurpassed, until now. I had a thought to drizzle some of my new purchased Drambuie over my ice cream today and I must admit it worked very well too. :)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 10th, 2017, 9:43 am

kiloran wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:
Hi Kiloran

--kiloran

Well, I happened to find myself in Waitrose yesterday to get a few bits and pieces, and found myself mysteriously drawn to the Wines and Spirits section. I was scanning the shelves and saw a bottle of single malt looking forlorn and needing a good home. A 12yo Caol Ila. For the princely sum of £37, the checkout lass agreed I could adopt it.
Poured myself a measure last night and within 2 nanoseconds of walking into our living room with it, my wife asked "What the heck is that you're drinking?", so it had clearly passed the aroma test. Definitely an enjoyable drink, a nice colour, very smoky and perhaps a little sweeter than Ardbeg, though I don't have any Ardbeg in stock to do a direct comparison (though I did happen to notice that Waitrose had some on the shelf..... hmmm, maybe I need to buy myself an early christmas present)
Not sure if it would raise the dead, but then trying it woud be such a waste. It's mine, all mine!

Thanks for the rec

--kiloran

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 10th, 2017, 10:03 am

kiloran wrote:
kiloran wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:
Hi Kiloran

--kiloran

Well, I happened to find myself in Waitrose yesterday to get a few bits and pieces, and found myself mysteriously drawn to the Wines and Spirits section. I was scanning the shelves and saw a bottle of single malt looking forlorn and needing a good home. A 12yo Caol Ila. For the princely sum of £37, the checkout lass agreed I could adopt it.
Poured myself a measure last night and within 2 nanoseconds of walking into our living room with it, my wife asked "What the heck is that you're drinking?", so it had clearly passed the aroma test. Definitely an enjoyable drink, a nice colour, very smoky and perhaps a little sweeter than Ardbeg, though I don't have any Ardbeg in stock to do a direct comparison (though I did happen to notice that Waitrose had some on the shelf..... hmmm, maybe I need to buy myself an early christmas present)
Not sure if it would raise the dead, but then trying it woud be such a waste. It's mine, all mine!

Thanks for the rec

--kiloran

Good on you kiloran.

I hope you poured it and left it for 12 minutes before you tried it?

"A minutes in the glass for every year in the cask."

What a difference this makes to the nose and palate with some whiskys.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 10th, 2017, 10:57 am

Halicarnassus wrote:

No way! I was taught by an Aberdonian that whisky left in a glass will just evaporate. Better to drink it than let it waste away.
Maybe I should get one of those tasting glasses with a wee lid: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taster-Glass-4 ... B00CL1CJ2S

--kiloran

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 10th, 2017, 11:05 am

kiloran wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:

No way! I was taught by an Aberdonian that whisky left in a glass will just evaporate. Better to drink it than let it waste away.
Maybe I should get one of those tasting glasses with a wee lid: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taster-Glass-4 ... B00CL1CJ2S

--kiloran

Aberdonians are generally tightfisted :D :-) Seriously though. Next time, leave your single malt as I described. If you're concerned about evaporation, fear not: in that time even the most sensitive of scientific instruments would not discern any difference in volume :lol:

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 10th, 2017, 11:48 am

Halicarnassus wrote:
Aberdonians are generally tightfisted :D :-) Seriously though. Next time, leave your single malt as I described. If you're concerned about evaporation, fear not: in that time even the most sensitive of scientific instruments would not discern any difference in volume :lol:

Hey, the problem is real. My wife immediately detected it at a range of 3m. Now that's a waste, she hates the stuff. That's a sniff that I have lost due to evaporation.
Admit it, you're not a serious drinker, are you? ;) ;) ;)

--kiloran

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 10th, 2017, 11:51 am

kiloran wrote:
Halicarnassus wrote:

Hey, the problem is real. My wife immediately detected it at a range of 3m. Now that's a waste, she hates the stuff. That's a sniff that I have lost due to evaporation.
Admit it, you're not a serious drinker, are you? ;) ;) ;)

--kiloran

I think we need to call in scientific arbitration... :lol:

Return to “Drink”