Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Strong IPA

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Strong IPA

Postby Lootman » October 9th, 2017, 4:02 pm

GrandOiseau wrote: I doubt many folk go out of the way to drink GK IPA or to eulogise on what a great IPA it is.

I do not doubt it - I am quite certain of it.

This discussion reminds me of the tedious debates about whether craft beers are truly "real" ales, that caused me to abandon my CAMRA membership, which I had held almost since its inception 40 or so years ago. I am so beyond this snobbishness.

My local always has GK "IPA" and yet I always choose instead one of the "keg" non-real IPAs they have on draught. Which is a shame because they are significantly more expensive (although cheaper on a "alcohol per pound" basis).

And that is important to me not because I get drunk so much these days, but rather that my capacity for volume has declined, but my desire for a "buzz" has not. So drinking a 5% or 6% beer makes more sense than GK's diluted swill, regardless of how GK choose to market it. The irony is that I have no longer any need for a session beer now that I can no longer do a session anyway. The reality is that almost all UK beers could be considered session beers by global standards - even the much disparaged US Budweiser is 5%. Heck, Coors Light is 16% stronger than GK "IPA".

My personal view is that the UK forgot what a true IPA was, and it took the Americans to re-educate us about our own beer. No reason to feel bad about that - just enjoy what is the finest beer type out there, in my opinion of course.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 14th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Lootman wrote:My personal view is that the UK forgot what a true IPA was, and it took the Americans to re-educate us about our own beer. No reason to feel bad about that

Exactly - it's your personal view, but it's not borne out by historical facts. In the early 1990s a view was taken on what an IPA should be, regardless of what had actually happened in the past - "IPA was always a strong beer" is a USian reinterpretation of history akin to those Hollywood films that have USians decoding the Engima code, or Dick van Dyke as an authentic Cockney. I don't want to be re-educated with stuff that's simply not true.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 14th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
Lootman wrote:My personal view is that the UK forgot what a true IPA was, and it took the Americans to re-educate us about our own beer. No reason to feel bad about that

Exactly - it's your personal view, but it's not borne out by historical facts. In the early 1990s a view was taken on what an IPA should be, regardless of what had actually happened in the past - "IPA was always a strong beer" is a USian reinterpretation of history akin to those Hollywood films that have USians decoding the Engima code, or Dick van Dyke as an authentic Cockney. I don't want to be re-educated with stuff that's simply not true.

So you would prefer to pick a different point in time and declare that is the true IPA?

A time when, it just happens, the big breweries were trying to crush what was left of traditional beer and replace it with keg - the very trend that CAMRA was founded to resist?

Return to “Drink”