Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Craft gin

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Craft gin

Postby chrissyr » October 13th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Hi all

I don't really get this craft gin thing.
Surely you mostly mix it with x3 of tonic, lemon and (probably 10%water from the ice) so all those delicate botanist just get lost.
Do people drink them neat like single malt whiskey ( or with just a splash of tonic)?

Some of the bottles are as expensive as a single malt.

Chris

Imbiber
2 Lemon pips

Re: Craft gin

Postby Imbiber » October 13th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Not really a gin drinker but Hendricks 50/50 with tonic and a slice of lemon, or cucumber is rather nice. No ice but gin, tonic and glass in the fridge.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 13th, 2017, 11:36 pm

chrissyr wrote:Hi all

Surely you mostly mix it with x3 of tonic, lemon and (probably 10%water from the ice) so all those delicate botanist just get lost.
Do people drink them neat like single malt whiskey ( or with just a splash of tonic)?

Some of the bottles are as expensive as a single malt.

Chris

I have not got into the craft gin bit, but yes I have enjoyed gin with nothing in it. I have also had the odd pink gin. For those who don't know, swill bitters around the glass then drain. Next put gin in the glass and drink, no ice.

BTW some bulk gins are as expensive as a cheep single malt, ie tanqueray is £20 a litre. I understand that they also do more expensive gin's as well.

TBH I think that the entire thing is a reaction to poor gin. There is a significant tax point at 37.5 proof, and real gin should be 40 or more to carry the botanicals, that are not water soluble.

FWIW, would you drown a single malt wiskey in tonic water or "canada dry"?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 13th, 2017, 11:51 pm

Imbiber wrote:Not really a gin drinker but Hendricks 50/50 with tonic and a slice of lemon, or cucumber is rather nice. No ice but gin, tonic and glass in the fridge.

Hendricks with Fevertree and cucumber is the best in my opinion. The tonic is important too, and cucumber sets off the Hendricks in a way that even lime doesn't.

Full disclosure - i own shares in Fevertree.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 14th, 2017, 4:46 pm

chrissyr wrote:Hi all

I think people are getting more sophisticated about these things although it can be hard to shake off old habits. But a good gin can shine through and compliment the tonic. I'm not a great fan of standard Fevertree though, it tends to swamp all but the most junipery gins - the Mediterranean is a much better match for most gin. And it explains the huge popularity of the flavoured gins - rhubarb, violet etc, people have worked out that they need more flavour to balance the tonic. But people do seem to be using less tonic, and I see increasing numbers of people either sipping straight gin or having pink gins.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 16th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Another vote for the FeverTree Med Tonic. I love gin and will happily drink some of the better examples neat. This is a by-product of having to do so when my other half was doing her WSET Diploma - all in the name of tasting of course! Whatever you do, don't buy Brockmans gin - I find the berry flavours so more'ish it is almost impossible to stop drinking it :)

Best "straight" gin I've tried recently was acquired from Salcombe whilst on holiday a few months ago. Bottle is almost empty...

All the best, Si

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Postby chrissyr » October 16th, 2017, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Seems Hendrick with ft med tonic and cucumber seems a popular mix so might try that.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 16th, 2017, 9:32 pm

The people I know who are into gins like Sibling (Cheltenham), Robin of Loxley (Sheffield) and Forest (Cheshire - quite heavy, "mossy") as "normal" gins, and Slingsby Rhubarb and Zymorgorium (all of them, particularly the violet) for flavoured gins.

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Postby chrissyr » November 10th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Well finally got round to tasting Hendricks with cucumber (but used Schweppes tonic as that was what we had) and is a really nice drink - will have to get the fv med to see if better still
Thanks for the advice

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » November 13th, 2017, 8:58 am

I'm a Tanqueray 10 and tonic with lemon man, but Mrs BD who drinks gin far more frequently than me is a massive fan of Hendricks, cucumber and Fevertree Mediterranean tonic.

More recently she had Slingsby Rhubarb gin and Fevertree Ginger Beer and found it most refreshing!

Return to “Drink”