Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

GinFusion

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
didds
Lemon Half

GinFusion

Postby didds » November 28th, 2017, 9:53 am

Mrs Didds likes a G&T now and again. Ive seen ads for something called GinFusion which is basically a kit containing a couple of small bottles, a funnel and strainer and some botaicals. the idea is that you buy vodka, then infuse it yourself with said botanicals and create your own gin flavours. sounds a bit of a laugh etc.

It all comes packaged in a nice box etc but I cant help but think that I could knock up somethingt suitably equivalent for a fraction of the proice (Mrs Didds would also approve I should add!).

So - is it really just a case of

- take empty bottle
- fill it with vodka 90% of the way
- add flavourings of choice
- shake
- wait
- drink and admire your brilliance as a gin maker?

And are the botanicals literally just spices and herbs etc bought from the appropriate rack/area of one's supermarket?

didds

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Re: GinFusion

Postby vrdiver » November 28th, 2017, 10:39 am

The kits are a bit of fun, and as you say, you can buy the components much more cheaply (and get the variety of ingredients you want) in an ordinary supermarket aisle.

In commercial gin production, the botanicals (e.g. juniper berries, coriander seeds, and whatever else you want) are either steeped in the "vodka" before another round of distillation, or held in the vapour path during the final distillation. The better gins have nothing added to them after distillation (at least until you pour them into a glass!)

If you do soak your botanicals in vodka, even after straining the liquor there will still be particles of those herbs and spices in the strained medium, which will continue to evolve the flavour, usually not in a good way, so you will need to keep an eye on how the flavours are developing :lol:

If you want some ideas for flavourings, https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/20 ... &strip=all is worth a look.
Also http://www.ginfoundry.com/botanicals/ is worth browsing.

Take a look at the botanicals in your favourite gins and seeing whether you can mimic them, or drive the flavour profile to exagerate a particular component. Just remember you can always add more, but it takes a lot of vodka to dilute something out!

Some enthusiasts will try to distill their infused vodka which is not the same as distilling beer or wine, as you are already starting with a spirit, but without proper safety precautions leaves you vulnerable to ethanol vapour fire and explosions, so probably best avoided without some serious pre-homework!

A friend of mine (Dutch, licenced gin maker) is unimpressed by gins with more than 4 or 5 key botanicals. His argument runs along the line of the untrained drinker simply won't notice the small quantities of tail-end flavourings, and that they are there for marketing purposes, not enjoyment.

Another friend used to run a distillery in which they would add a single botanical to the vodka, so as to end up with a dozen or so single-flavoured vodkas, then blend these in various proportions to get the desired flavour profile. This might be the way to go, as you can make them fairly concentrated (infusion-wise) then smell and taste at different dilutions with more vodka, note the ratio that gives you the best result and create your own blend!

There. That's sorted the long winter evenings out!

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 28th, 2017, 10:43 am

Pretty much yes.

Use a decent (unflavoured) vodka - avoid the temptation to buy the cheapest you can find, but equally no need to go for an expensive premium label IMHO

Remember to use juniper! (Otherwise it won't be gin)

Try coriander, cassia bark, orange peel, cubieb, angelica. Cucumber if you like.

Obviously don't overdo the botanicals - you can always add more. Put it all in the bottle and shake. You only need to leave the botanicals to infuse for an hour or so

And report back :)

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 28th, 2017, 10:47 am

vrdiver wrote:The better gins have nothing added to them after distillation (at least until you pour them into a glass!)

Hendricks add cucumber after distillation - because the flavour wouldn't survive the distillation - that's one reason that their's isn't a London Dry (which can;t have anything added afterwards - and doesn't need to be made in London either - but that's a different topic :) )

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » November 28th, 2017, 10:59 am

And here's a couple of recipes if you want to go straight to the finished product:

SWANN LOUNGE GIN
Contributed by Michael Haggerty
INGREDIENTS:

1 (1.75-L) bottle 100-proof vodka (such as Smirnoff Blue Label)
2 tbsp juniper berries
1 tsp coriander seeds
Peels of 2 grapefruits
Peel of 1 lemon
Peel of 1 orange
4 cloves
.5 tsp angelica root
.25 tsp cassia bark
.25 tsp fennel seeds
PREPARATION:
Pour the vodka into a large jar or bowl. Place the remaining ingredients into a muslin bag (or tie them up in a piece of cheesecloth). Submerge in the vodka and let stand for 3 days. Remove the bag and rebottle the liquid.

JUNIPER AND LEMON AQUAVIT
Contributed by Keri Levens
INGREDIENTS:

1 (750-mL) bottle Vodka
Peel of 1 lemon
.5 cup Juniper berries
PREPARATION:
Add all the ingredients to a large jar or bowl and let stand at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks. Strain, and store in the refrigerator.

G-FUNK GIN
Contributed by Paul Sanguinetti
INGREDIENTS:

.5 L Lukusowa Vodka
.5 L Akvinta Vodka
5 large or 10 small Lemon verbena leaves
Peels of 2 lemons
Peels of 2 oranges
Peels of 2 grapefruits
2 Star anise pods
1 tbsp Caraway seeds
.5 cup Juniper berries
PREPARATION:
Add all the ingredients to a large jar or other glass container. Cover, and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours. Pour through a coarse strainer and a funnel lined with cheesecloth into a one-liter bottle.

From https://www.liquor.com/articles/your-ho ... gs.ZjXhQVE

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 28th, 2017, 11:10 am

Thanks all - speedy answers :-)

I think its the "less is more" approach that is the attraction... trying different minimal combinations to see what works and doesn't etc

didds

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » November 28th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Lidl have a botanicals for gin box on offer this week (ends tomorrow, I think). It's £1.99. Lakeland are doing a version in teabags that's £4.99 for a smaller amount (fewer grams).

I've bought one of the cheap Lidl ones to chuck in a christmas hamper to give the recipients something fun to do. If you have no idea where to start perhaps you could do the same. When I first read about it, I googled around the topic, and found out that gin is just flavoured vodka (flavoured with "natural botanicals" and nothing artificial). Can't stand either myself!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 2nd, 2017, 12:04 pm

chas49 wrote:Try coriander, cassia bark, orange peel, cubieb, angelica. Cucumber if you like.

a follow up question... is that freshly "peeled" (w/o pith) orange peel? or dried?

the cucumber presumably is sliced/diced normal cucmber, wet and everything etc ?

cheers!

didds

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » December 2nd, 2017, 12:28 pm

didds wrote:
chas49 wrote:Try coriander, cassia bark, orange peel, cubieb, angelica. Cucumber if you like.

a follow up question... is that freshly "peeled" (w/o pith) orange peel? or dried?

the cucumber presumably is sliced/diced normal cucmber, wet and everything etc ?

cheers!

didds

I would suggest fresh orange zest, but I can't see why dried wouldn't work either - though I suspect the quantities (and possibly flavour) might differ. I think the cucumber has to be as you say. I can't see any other way really. Of course you could just pop a slice of cucumber in the drink instead.

Moderator Message:
RS: Moved from the DAK board

Return to “Drink”