Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Christmas beer names

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Christmas beer names

Postby jfgw » December 22nd, 2017, 8:39 pm

A couple of locals,

Yellow Snow (Mighty Oak): http://www.mightyoakbrewing.co.uk/media ... owsnow.jpg ;
Yule Brynner (Mighty Oak): http://www.mightyoakbrewing.co.uk/media ... rynner.jpg ;

The original "Santas Night Off" pump clip was a little naughty (as is the missing apostrophe): https://www.wibblers.co.uk/the-beers/seasonal/santa .

I'm sure you can name plenty of others.

Julian F. G. W.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Christmas beer names

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 22nd, 2017, 9:42 pm

I'd avoid anything with a "christmas" theme.

Though when someone gave me one called "Bah, Humbug" a year or two back, I overlooked my disapproval and drank it.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 23rd, 2017, 7:46 am

On Tuesday I had a rather nice beer from the local Flowerpots Brewery called "Four Candles"...or was it "Fork Handles" I can't quite remember.

John

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 28th, 2017, 7:50 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I'd avoid anything with a "christmas" theme. Though when someone gave me one called "Bah, Humbug" a year or two back, I overlooked my disapproval and drank it.

From personal experience in Germany and Japan the brewers produce suuuperb Xmas brews available for just a few weeks a year in season. Needs to come from a reputable brewery though so you know the Xmas brew isn't a seasonal p-take :)

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 29th, 2017, 9:38 am

I've always thought any beer with a rude or naughty name to be a gimmick and of substandard quality, so I avoid them.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 29th, 2017, 12:05 pm

JMN2 wrote:I've always thought any beer with a rude or naughty name to be a gimmick and of substandard quality, so I avoid them.

I've been disappointed by some wine called either Old Fart or Old Git (I forget which).

But beers? Hmmm. The Wyre Piddle brewery use some rather-obviously themed names for some perfectly decent brews.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » December 29th, 2017, 12:25 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
JMN2 wrote:I've always thought any beer with a rude or naughty name to be a gimmick and of substandard quality, so I avoid them.

I've been disappointed by some wine called either Old Fart or Old Git (I forget which).

But beers? Hmmm. The Wyre Piddle brewery use some rather-obviously themed names for some perfectly decent brews.

Yes, I'm probably a prejudiced prude but I'm not against puns and clever names. But I draw the line in Ginger Tossers and Santa's Balls, Old Slappers etc with matching pumpclip art. Just seems like a gimmicky easy way out. Brew a solid beer and have some class please.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » December 29th, 2017, 2:49 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

I'm somewhat divided on this. British breweries have a long history of witty/rude/eccentric/'silly' names, but it doesn't seem to reflect on the quality of the beer. Having a 'cartoon' illustration on the lable doesn't seem to be a gauge either (think Hobgoblin etc x scores).
And yet teen-brews pitched at the very young tend to use these devices too, certainly in countries like Germany. Perhaps you might welcome humour only from breweries of known repute?
As for wine; well wine is 'serious' isn't it? :lol: Adults only, serious, entirely earnest. From the topography of the vineyard, phase of the moon the grapes were harvested, to the moment you are honoured to earnestly confirm the quality, that youngsters of course are not yet equipped to divine :lol: There's nil room for humour in any of that, and if it's there and on the lable - avoid like the plague IME.

Return to “Drink”