Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

*NEW* Boards and structure being implemented

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: *NEW* Boards and structure being implemented

Postby PinkDalek » November 8th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Clariman wrote:Here are my explanations and comments on boards not implemented or done differently than you might expect. I have also included some suggestions about how we could accommodate discussions on these topics. Note that we are not refusing to do these - simply trying to strike a balance between demand and simplicity. It can all be changed if it doesn't strike the right balance :)

Only Requested by one person
[list]

[*]A Fool and His Money - Topic sunder Investing Strategy?

Clariman

Many thanks to you both for the updated list. Fantastic progress.

The TMF board (opened in 2001) was in more recent years known as "A fool And His Money..." (noting the small cap f).

Formerly known as "Financial scams" and then "Financial Scams?" but renamed on legal advice. It had approximately 30,000 posts (ignoring the numerous deletions) and was watched, inter alia, by the City of London Police, certain financial journalists and the scumbags (a JakNife favourite) from the Boiler Rooms themselves.

I don't believe it would sit comfortably under Investing Strategies and I am not sure you and stooz would want such a board/topic at all. This given the many difficulties (and a couple or so court cases) that TMF endured due to its existence.

I was only ever been involved in the board on a pro bono basis but there are many hundreds over the years who might have been scammed, were it not for the board.

A tricky one, especially in the early days, but perhaps a separate forum or sub forum could be created at some stage.

For posterity perhaps, here is JakNife's old FAQ at the WayBackMachine:

http://web.archive.org/web/201604021555 ... 12932.aspx

PD

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 8th, 2016, 8:04 pm

Midsmartin wrote:I thought I'd posted this, but I can't see it, so maybe not!

My humble suggestions would be:

1) Some sort of science-related board
2) Maybe an 'arts' board that could encompass old boards including music, radio, tv stuff etc.

Arts is covered in 7f and 7g:

7. Interests - Culture, Leisure , Food and Nature
a. The Sports Bar (all sports)
b. Food & Drink
c. Recipes & Cooking
d. The Natural World (wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living)
e. Pets and Vets
f. Music
g. Theatre, TV and Film (including Reality TV)

I agree that a board like:
7h. The Science World
would be good

--kiloran

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 8th, 2016, 8:11 pm

Heads up on High Yield Practical. Already have hand bags at dawn going on about not adhering to PYAD or being a doris. Maybe sub forums "high yield shares for income" and "high yield everything else". Couldn't think of anything better sorry....

Structure looks fine to me. Look forward to IT board.

Raptor

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 8th, 2016, 8:22 pm

PinkDalek wrote:The TMF board (opened in 2001) was in more recent years known as "A fool And His Money..." (noting the small cap f).

Formerly known as "Financial scams" and then "Financial Scams?" but renamed on legal advice.

I think that TMF mostly targeted fairly new investors and they are the most likely to fall victim to a scam. At this early point, those who have migrated over here seem to me to be fairly sophisticated investors, and probably not the type who are going to be taken in by a scam.

That might be a bad assumption. After all Madoff's clients were smart, educated, affluent, successful professionals. But I wonder what the demand here is for such a vehicle, especially given the legal liabilities that you allude to.

Over time, this venue may be less dominated by newly migrated Fools and more so by new investors and vulnerable souls. But my personal feeling is that a watchdog or whistleblower role right now might be a step too far for this embryonic venture.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 8th, 2016, 8:24 pm

PinkDalek wrote:The TMF board (opened in 2001) was in more recent years known as "A fool And His Money..." (noting the small cap f).

Formerly known as "Financial scams" and then "Financial Scams?" but renamed on legal advice. It had approximately 30,000 posts (ignoring the numerous deletions) and was watched, inter alia, by the City of London Police, certain financial journalists and the scumbags (a JakNife favourite) from the Boiler Rooms themselves.

I don't believe it would sit comfortably under Investing Strategies and I am not sure you and stooz would want such a board/topic at all. This given the many difficulties (and a couple or so court cases) that TMF endured due to its existence.

PD

This is the one area where, if I were Stooz and Clariman, I'd be getting in touch off-board with the TMF Mods and asking for their great advice before proceeding to open the above particular board up for the above particular purpose on LemonFool.

They'll hopefully be honest and up-front with Stooz and Clariman, and allow them to make an informed decision in terms of what they'd be potentially letting themselves in for, and exposing themselves to, by following a similar path.

I'm not for one minute trying to suggest that there's no place for a similar board on LemonFool, but I certainly think that this is one area where talking to TMF behind the scenes will allow a much more informed decision to be made, rather than simply opening a similar board for the same purpose, and potentially exposing themselves to something they've perhaps got no clear idea of in terms of what TMF has had to 'deal with' over the years.

Just my personal opinion, of course, but for the sake of a couple of emails to someone like Jon (TMFTarantula) initially, it would then be a case of forewarned is forearmed...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

foundone
Lemon Pip

Postby foundone » November 8th, 2016, 8:35 pm

I personally would have kept the subheading of the Board in mind "Talk finance" and dumped anything that wasn't connected. That would have lost my favourite board but there should be some coherent theme to a board otherwise it drifts into a cosy home for the old duffers who become hostile to newcomers disrupting their cozy circle. This is one of the factors that leads to a gradual decay of the board. There's signs of this on the HYP at the moment.

ponym

Postby ponym » November 8th, 2016, 8:38 pm

Hope I'm not being too critical here but there's no headline mention of "Savings"

Could "SAVINGS" be included in No 3 Heading ie Managing your Savings and finances please?

ponym

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » November 8th, 2016, 9:01 pm

As said, we need to be wary that ghost towns/forums are built that have nobody in them. I don't fully know how tmf did modding - but here there is certainly no issue in switching topics around to a more logical home.

Secondly - dont be put off by the titles, they are but words. If you feel the category name covers your discussion, people will find your topic and post - if topics become a cluster of subjects too wide, this is when sub forums or additional boards can easily be spun up and those topics moved to a new home..
eg
Travel lounge was names under the guise of information about locations places to go, things to do, tips on travel, but cars travel, so do cyclists. so a topic on "which bike is good for french roads" should happily live along side "who fancies offroading in wales with me this weekend?"
Again - Once their is enough traction of any subject (topic's) or subjects become to diverse, we can easily split a room and move them around with ease.

hopefully it makes sense but just to reiterate its
category -> Forum -> Topic -> post

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2016, 9:16 pm

Clariman wrote:Err thanks for the clear explanation of LoOTP. Would that sort of discussion work as topics on the jokers one.

No. LoOTPians should be locked up and the key thrown away - best kept away from 'normal' folk lest they bite...

TangerineKeith wrote:Other Advice

* Most Fools here dislike work and prefer to refer to it as w*rk. Similarly mention of shares, office, boss, etc. should be avoided, use a strategically placed *.

* Has somebody written something that can be interpreted in two ways? Make sure your reply interprets it in the least likely way.

* Editing posts. Can you edit one or two letters/words in someone's post to make it amusing or risqué ? Make sure you post your 'corrected' version when replying...
LoOTP FAQ

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » November 8th, 2016, 9:41 pm

Thanks Clariman
Are you REALLY sure you want to start a politics board this soon? and we were all getting along so nicely!!

If you do, It's hard to see how having seperate 'politics' and 'economy' will work since there is so much potential overlap.

If all forms of transport are rolled into one then do food & drink and recipies and cooking warrant the same?

Placing wildlife, gardening, environment and rural living in one big box is pretty wide ranging

However on the whole it seems like a reasonable proposal. If you monitor usage and posts it should become apparent eventually if one topic tends to vastly outnumber others on a particular board it can be hived off to its own board, but at first it's probably best to have a smaller number of busy and crowded boards than a sprawling mass of less frequented ones.

Getting back to politics, I'd wait until you've cooked up some posting rules and got moderators in place before firing that one off.....seriously!

BH

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 8th, 2016, 9:47 pm

Lootman wrote:

Formerly known as "Financial scams" and then "Financial Scams?" but renamed on legal advice.

I think that TMF mostly targeted fairly new investors and they are the most likely to fall victim to a scam. At this early point, those who have migrated over here seem to me to be fairly sophisticated investors, and probably not the type who are going to be taken in by a scam. ...

I'll keep it short (to avoid going too off topic) but the joys of Google were such that the board attracted those in need of advice from outwith TMF.

Agree with Itsallaguess' post - which probably confirms what I was suggesting.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 8th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Brilliant work so far - well done!

Hopefully some constructive comments;
7. Interests - Culture, Leisure , Food and Nature
a. The Sports Bar (all sports)
b. Food & Drink
c. Recipes & Cooking

(1) What would 'Food' be in Food&Drink, given that there is a separate Recipes & Cooking board? Restaurant reviews etc ?

(2) The Foolish Beer Drinkers and Wine Lovers boards were both popular on TMF, and I'm not sure they'll 'work' as part of food and drink - I would say they need to be separate, or at least sub-forums. I don't think a single entity would work as the Beer* board included a lot of pub reviews, whereas the Wine Lovers were more 'technical' although we did get some cross-over traffic.

*I reckon rename to Beer & Pubs to better reflect the traffic

Just my thoughts, other users may have different ideas!!
Thanks once again
AC

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2016, 10:45 pm

Hi AC. If the separate Recipes board hadn't already been created, I probably wouldn't have made it that way. But it is there so why not.

You may be right about the other drink options but we'll see how it goes. Same applies to the new Nature board.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 8th, 2016, 11:01 pm

Thanks !

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » November 8th, 2016, 11:45 pm

Feel that "Bert's Investor Sanctuary", perhaps here "Investor Sanctuary" would be best under Investor Roundtable.

This is a place for advanced investors to talk about all things concerned with investment at a sophisticated level and doesn't really fit as a sub topic under investment as proposed.

This has been a very successful board and I believe it would be an asset to recreate something similar here.

Regards,

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Postby cavebat » November 9th, 2016, 12:10 am

Clariman wrote:
Err thanks for the clear explanation of LoOTP. Would that sort of discussion work as topics on the jokers one.

No, LoOTP should be separate to the Jokers board. It was originally set up on TMF for discussion of non-financial (i.e. off-topic) subjects - and from there came pretty much all the other off-topic boards, e.g. Comfort Café, Music, Films, Cars & Driving, Wildlife, etc. It's become a bit of a shadow of its former self over the years as more and more off-topic discussion has been given over to dedicated boards, but I think it still has a place. In any case I have a whole set of links ready and waiting to post for the annual LoOTP Advent Calendar and now I have nowhere to post them! :cry:

^^(..)^^

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » November 9th, 2016, 12:35 am

There are many sad aspects to the demise of TMF, but there would be nothing more tragic than the loss of a home for the LoOTP Advent Calendar - Christmas just wouldn't be the same... :(

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » November 9th, 2016, 12:39 am

Excellent work to date.

Please could we have a home(s) for Climate Change, Environmentally Green Fools and Renewable Energy / Low Carbon Investing?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » November 9th, 2016, 8:17 am

Hi Clariman.

Above said High Yield - Practical I see it has been implemented as High Yield HYP Practical

Keep up the good work.

Raptor.

StillFedUp

Postby StillFedUp » November 9th, 2016, 8:46 am

Eternal gratitude to clariman and stooz for setting up the lemon.

I'll second sunnyjoe - I think climate change could get more interesting now that we have a President Trump.

Also, I'm a bit concerned that car drivers and cyclists will be sharing the same space - there could be some incidents and the cyclists will always come off the worse.

SFU

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”