Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Image copyright - Again.

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Re: Image copyright - Again.

Postby jfgw » February 10th, 2018, 12:32 pm

If you click "Rules" just under the Lemon Fool banner, you will find this:

All embedded images (including data and graphs) in posts must:-
Include an additional link (URL) to a web page where the original may be viewed in context, or (where the image is hosted on either a domain owned or controlled by the poster, or a hosting site account e.g. Imgur, Picasa, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive) be followed by a statement that the poster owns (or is legally permitted to post) the content of the image. If this is later to be found to be incorrect, appropriate action will be taken by administrators. Images which do not comply with these requirements may be removed without warning.

You may embed someone-elses image but you must also provide a link.

Julian F. G. W.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » February 10th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Hotlinks are banned on most forums. Links to webpages containing images are usually OK.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » February 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm

The "Rules" also contain "Please respect copyright holders and the applicable laws. You, as users, are the initial defence against copyright infringement so please be careful. Where LemonFool considers that the copyright of others may be infringed, posts may be edited or deleted without warning. ... Please note that many images are also copyright material. ... The LemonFool will not ordinarily enter into discussion over moderation decisions in this respect, and moderators are likely to err on the side of caution.".

The HL charts I've seen contain © 2018 FactSet if that is of relevance.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 10th, 2018, 3:32 pm

FredBloggs wrote:
I used the "img" tags to embed images in a thread hosted at Hargreaves Lansdown, as I understand copyright, I have not infringed HL's IP at all by showing the original images hosted at the copyright holder's own website.

Please clarify for me, if you are now banning the showing of original images in a thread, that's it, I'm away from here. Thank you.

I think you'd have been OK embedding the chart images if you'd also then posted the URL links to the pages holding the charts.

Using the 'img' tags embedded the images, but that didn't make it clear to readers of the thread where the images came from.

I agree that this information could have been found by examining your post, but that's not the position the owners of this site have come to, and they have asked that a URL link is also provided in the same post as the embedded images, to make the source-page as clear as possible, and allow people to visit it if they want to find out more about the website the images are comings from. I think that is a sensible and fair position to take.

There was quite a prolonged discussion around this subject before the above ruling was put down, and I should add that there was initially a big reluctance to even allow embedded images where URL's are provided in the same post, but we managed to come to the point we're at, where they are allowed, so long as an accompanying URL is inserted in the same post.

Whilst you may not agree with that position, it's currently a lot better than it might have been, and I think we should all try to abide by the rules if it means that we're able to continue inserting useful diagrams such as you initially did.

I agree that embedded charts often add a great visual focus to a point being made, especially with regards to investment-related posts, and I think it would be a real shame if we weren't allowed to do this, so I hope you can agree that sticking to the current rules will help maintain that position.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » February 11th, 2018, 11:03 pm

FredBloggs wrote:Please clarify for me, if you are now banning the showing of original images in a thread, that's it, I'm away from here. Thank you..

Whilst I personally consider this concern about copyright to be excessive and largely unfounded I fully appreciate the concerns of the site operators. They aren't doing it for profit, neither are they IP lawyers, so even if their approach is rather OTT it's a perfectly understandable one and one which I'm willing to accept.

As I - and I'm sure many others - enjoy reading your posts I do hope the restrictions on being able to post images won't stop you posting.

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”