Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Tips on navigating the boards

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Tips on navigating the boards

Postby Lootman » November 21st, 2016, 2:37 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Yes, you are correct in what you can do. I understand, from other posts on the Lemon Fool, the current time limit is 8 minutes, which can be amended by the site owners should they so require.

The other commentary system that I am familiar with, Disqus, allows an edit at any time.

The good part of that is the ability to correct errors you see later. The bad part is that you can retrospectively change a comment that someone else has replied to "as is" and in good faith. That in turn might be fine if it is to correct a factual error or broken link - the original poster can change the mistake so it doesn't confuse others. But in other cases someone might mischievously change their comment to make the reply look silly.

If possible, edits could be allowed up to the point a reply is posted?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 21st, 2016, 4:47 pm

PinkDalek wrote: I understand, from other posts on the Lemon Fool, the current time limit is 8 minutes, which can be amended by the site owners should they so require.

That's my understanding too.

In addition provided no reply has been posted you can delete your own post within the same timeframe. After a reply you can still edit up to the cut-off time, but the time (and number of times) you edited will be displayed at the bottom of the post.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 21st, 2016, 4:54 pm

Lootman wrote:If possible, edits could be allowed up to the point a reply is posted?

No. The Administrator options in the phpBB board software only have provision for a time limit to be set. Edits made after a reply is posted do get flagged in the edited post though.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 23rd, 2016, 10:33 pm

I see from the data on the Home page that the most users ever online was 101 on November 4th, 2016, 3:44 pm.

How does this tie up with my inability to access the boards last Monday evening? On that day I got the error message that the maximum number of connections were in use, so presumably that should have been the maximum? Was that also 101, or was it lower and a limit has been set subsequently?

Being unable to access the site, I was unable to report the problem.

TJH

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 23rd, 2016, 11:11 pm

My understanding is that the site is hosted in the "cloud" somewhere, so is running on a virtual server(s) sharing physical resources (cpu, memory etc.) with others.

Depending on how the resource allocation is done, it's possible that TLF could at times be given more than its "fair share", if slack capacity is available.

Another consideration could be that since the boards are "bigger" now than they were at day one, each user may need more resources per action than they did back then.

Also, doing things like searching will use more resources than just viewing.

So there could be explanations why we run out of resources at less than 101 users.

Scott.

oldcharlie
Lemon Pip

Postby oldcharlie » November 27th, 2016, 1:00 am

I am struggling with the small typeface. Is there any way I can get a bigger font?

OC

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 27th, 2016, 1:11 am

oldcharlie wrote:I am struggling with the small typeface. Is there any way I can get a bigger font?

Almost all browsers have a 'zoom' function that will enlarge or shrink the displayed page. The standard keyboard short cut in all browsers I've tried (Edge, IE and Firefox) to zoom in (enlarge the page) is hold down the Ctrl key and press the + key, Ctrl and - to zoom out, and Ctrl and 0 to reset to 100% scaling. As far as I am aware, these shortcuts are standard across all browsers.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 28th, 2016, 12:13 pm

^^ Ctrl and mouse wheel scroll works too, forward for +.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 2nd, 2016, 6:57 pm

So where should I go to quickly get stats on individual companies: price movements, graphs, and all the other stuff one could access if one clicked on a company's epic?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 2nd, 2016, 7:01 pm

Has the UK TMF finished altogether? I thought historic posts were to be available for some time. I could only get on to the US site though I put UK into my address box. All those questions which wd have helped me with my tax return lost and gone forever?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 2nd, 2016, 7:05 pm

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 2nd, 2016, 7:34 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Has the UK TMF finished altogether? I thought historic posts were to be available for some time. I could only get on to the US site though I put UK into my address box. All those questions which wd have helped me with my tax return lost and gone forever?

Your last 99 posts are listed here http://boards.fool.co.uk/lastposts.asp? ... d=62415522 and your 99 most recommended ones are here http://boards.fool.co.uk/lastposts.asp? ... byrecs=yes Those lists may help you find some of them, or links to the boards you frequented. Your Profile is here http://my.fool.co.uk/profile/bouleversee/activity.aspx wher you can also go back through your recent posts by repeatedly clicking the 'Show more activity...' link at the bottom.

Others who may wish to find their own posts can find their Profile by following that last link then changing the username part of the address to their own.

oldcharlie
Lemon Pip

Postby oldcharlie » December 5th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Thanks for advice too enlarge typeface.

Both methods work on Windows Prof 7 but as the plus sign is upper case it needs three keys to enlarge. Scrolling the mouse forwards is therefore easier!

Lovely!

OC.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » December 6th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Thanks, Bree. No time to look at them all at the moment. How do I isolate and print out your post with the references in case I can't find it again? I tried highlight and print but it printed a different page. It's a pity the posts aren't numbered and (unless it's me) one can't see them individually, just in a thread. Not complaining as we are lucky to have them at all.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 6th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Bouleversee wrote:How do I isolate and print out your post with the references in case I can't find it again?

This link takes you directly to the position of my post in this thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=105&start=80#p11375
If you follow that link (and the links it contains) you can bookmark them in your browser for easy future reference.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » December 6th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Bree. No time to look at them all at the moment. How do I isolate and print out your post with the references in case I can't find it again? I tried highlight and print but it printed a different page. It's a pity the posts aren't numbered and (unless it's me) one can't see them individually, just in a thread. Not complaining as we are lucky to have them at all.

There's probably a better answer, but if all else fails, bring it up on screen, take a screenshot and print that.

Gengulphus

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 6th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thanks, Bree. No time to look at them all at the moment. How do I isolate and print out your post with the references in case I can't find it again? I tried highlight and print but it printed a different page. It's a pity the posts aren't numbered and (unless it's me) one can't see them individually, just in a thread. Not complaining as we are lucky to have them at all.

You can also send it to yourself in a Private Message (I think***) but note the links are truncated if you are going to find a way to print it.

*** I've PM'd it to you which you should find in your Private messages top right.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 5th, 2017, 6:23 pm

PinkDalek wrote:I understand, from other posts on the Lemon Fool, the current time limit is 8 minutes, which can be amended by the site owners should they so require.

Is this the best place to put in a request to extend the post editing time?

A big problem for me on TMF was the lack of editing, in this respect Lemon Fool is clearly an improvement. However, I feel the current time limit is too limiting. May I plead here for an editing limit of at least 15 minutes.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 5th, 2017, 6:47 pm

It's happened again!

...Or is it more complicated than that? After posting today it suddenly occurred to me that a link would both help to make my point and be useful to others. I found the website, copied the link and, on returning to my post, clicked the still apparent editing icon. Only to be told "You can no longer edit or delete this post".

Was this a timeout? Or because another user had since posted? - though not in reply to my post.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 5th, 2017, 6:51 pm

XFool wrote:It's happened again!

...Or is it more complicated than that? After posting today it suddenly occurred to me that a link would both help to make my point and be useful to others. I found the website, copied the link and, on returning to my post, clicked the still apparent editing icon. Only to be told "You can no longer edit or delete this post".

Was this a timeout? Or because another user had since posted? - though not in reply to my post.

Are those your words or from someone else? If the latter, can you point to the post in question?

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”