Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Removal of posts - I think.

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Removal of posts - I think.

Postby ten0rman » March 28th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Recently, two posts of mine have disappeared. The first one, some weeks ago I put down to perhaps not hitting Submit, however, a post last night which definitely was submitted, has now disappeared, presumably because someone has taken offence at it.

The post was a question, posed because I cannot believe that the situation which gave rise to my question, has indeed occurred, hence I asked what am I missing? And at the same time I gave my reasons why I was asking the question. As far as I could tell, there was nothing offensive in what I said, certainly I would have no qualms about asking the same question face to face of my aquaintances, but yet, the post has disappeared.

Now I accept that the site owners have the right to moderate as they see fit, but I do find it somewhat objectionable when a genuine question is rejected, if that indeed is what has happened. I stress that in no way did I set out to make any sort of statement, - I was merely asking if there was anything else that I may have missed.

An explanation would be helpful, but again, I understand that reasons are not normally given, presumably to avoid arguments, but in this instance I would ask for a relaxation of the rules as I genuinely do not understand what is wrong.

ten0rman

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Removal of posts - I think.

Postby csearle » March 28th, 2018, 9:05 pm

ten0rman wrote:...

Yes it was deleted. It is apparent to us which moderator removed it so I will ask why exactly is was deleted. It could be that your question could be reformulated so as to allow it to be asked.

Regards,
Chris

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 28th, 2018, 9:10 pm

Moderator Message:
Hi ten0rman,

I was not the person who deleted your post but I have now read it and can see why it was deleted.

You ask what you say is a straightforward question but really I can see no simple answer to your question and it is likely to lead to a debate that is not really what the DAK board is there for.

If there was a definitive answer I think it would have been clearly reported in the MSM by now, your speculation of sour grapes and a lover's tiff probably says as much as anyone is likely to know.

If you wish I can repost your question on Polite discussions but will understand if you do not wish that to happen.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 28th, 2018, 9:17 pm

csearle wrote:Yes it was deleted. It is apparent to us which moderator removed it so I will ask why exactly is was deleted. It could be that your question could be reformulated so as to allow it to be asked.

TMF often annoyed me with the liberal ease with which they would remove posts on technicalities but at least you always got an email saying it had been deleted, along with at least an attempt at a justification.

I find TLF moderation to be much better and have had little problem with it myself. But it would be really really good if notifications could be sent when that happens, to avoid precisely this kind of confusion. I recognise that there may not be an easy way of doing it automatically, but surely procedurally it could be implemented? It would also have the benefit of identifying the moderator who made that decision which was initially in doubt here.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 28th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Lootman wrote:It would also have the benefit of identifying the moderator who made that decision which was initially in doubt here.
We are trying to act as one by simply applying the rules so identifying the moderator that acted is only likely to be a pain. I do agree though that a simple explanation, if the action hasn't been explained via a mod box, would be of benefit.

Regards,
Chris

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 28th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Lootman wrote:
csearle wrote:Yes it was deleted. It is apparent to us which moderator removed it so I will ask why exactly is was deleted. It could be that your question could be reformulated so as to allow it to be asked.

TMF often annoyed me with the liberal ease with which they would remove posts on technicalities but at least you always got an email saying it had been deleted, along with at least an attempt at a justification.

I find TLF moderation to be much better and have had little problem with it myself. But it would be really really good if notifications could be sent when that happens, to avoid precisely this kind of confusion. I recognise that there may not be an easy way of doing it automatically, but surely procedurally it could be implemented? It would also have the benefit of identifying the moderator who made that decision which was initially in doubt here.

I did send a notification. I can see it is still in my outbox, meaning it is unread.

Mel

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 28th, 2018, 9:55 pm

ten0rman wrote:...
If you click on "Private messages" at the top of your screen you will see melonfool's explanation as to why your post had to be deleted.

Regards,
Chris

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » March 29th, 2018, 9:24 am

Thankyou all for your replies.

Firstly, the thought of speculation never once entered my head, but yes, I can see how that could arise - I was quite simply assuming that I had missed something somewhere. Similarly, I wasn't looking to open up a debate. Perhaps I should have said something like "factual answers only please, ie no debate".

Secondly, being mainly a casual reader of forums (note the plural) I generally don't know all the ins & outs about notifications etc. In fact, the only previous notifications re deletions that I know I have had, were from TMF, and they came via my personal email system. Another forum I sometimes ask questions on has a system whereby I receive an email saying that there has been/is a PM waiting for me. In other words, I was completely unaware (ok, how about tunnel vision!) of the PM system herein. Which is why I missed your notification Mel. And which is why I now have 28 notifications to wade through.

Thirdly, I won't bother resubmitting as one of you (RedSturgeon) has actually confirmed that I haven't missed anything. Thanks John. Which leaves me shaking my head in disbelief at the idiocy of some people. Incidently what does MSM mean?

Regards,

ten0rman

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 29th, 2018, 9:28 am

Main Stream Media.

There is a setting somewhere to turn on emails for when you get a PM, I get an email when I get them.

Mel

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 29th, 2018, 9:52 am

ten0rman wrote:Secondly, being mainly a casual reader of forums (note the plural) I generally don't know all the ins & outs about notifications etc. In fact, the only previous notifications re deletions that I know I have had, were from TMF, and they came via my personal email system.
ten0rman

1. Click on your username towards the top right of the screen. Select "User Control Panel"
  2. In the "User Control Panel", select "Board Preferences"
  3. In "Edit Global Settings", set your preferred options and click on the "Submit" button
  4. Click on "Return to User Control Panel"
  5. In "Edit Notification Settings", set your preferred options and click on the "Submit" button

--kiloran

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » March 29th, 2018, 2:45 pm

kiloran & Mel,

Thanks for that. I've done it now so if I've got it right I shouldn't miss any more important notifications.

And thanks for the MSM explanation.

You know, as I get older, the more I realise just how little I actually know!

Regards,

ten0rman

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 29th, 2018, 2:53 pm

ten0rman wrote:You know, as I get older, the more I realise just how little I actually know!
ten0rman

Ah, but what you do know is stuff that's worth knowing, rather than useless trivia ;)

--kiloran

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”